|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
(a) Sitting on Inez's sofa.
(b) Ringing the bell for the Valet.
(c) Sitting on her sofa.
(d) Blocking the door.
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
(a) Because her husband sent her there.
(b) By mistake.
(c) By her choice.
(d) Because she deserves it.
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
(a) there is no bed
(b) there are no windows
(c) he never feels tired
(d) there are no clocks
6. What do the characters speculate about?
(a) whether the valet will return
(b) whether they've met each other before
(c) whether they've waited long enough
(d) whether they will be moved to another room
7. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
8. Looking at their portal to the Earth, what does Estelle see?
(a) Olga preparing for bed
(b) the lights going on in Paris
(c) the flowers wilting on her grave
(d) her husband with another woman
9. What is Estelle's objection to Garcin's actions?
(a) she can't stand seeing men in their shirt-sleeves
(b) she says he is being too personal
(c) she says he has no sense of style
(d) she doesn't think it's that hot
10. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
(a) Hired an interior designer.
(b) Loathed angles.
(c) Enjoyed bronze statues.
(d) Upholstered her own sofas.
11. What dramatic technique does Sartre use to let the audience know more about hell?
(a) the statue that cannot be moved
(b) the colors of the sofas
(c) the nonsensical dialogue
(d) the characters watching life back on earth
12. What is Inez's reaction when she is ushered into the room?
(a) she is hysterical
(b) she screams at the valet
(c) she asks all kinds of questions
(d) she says nothing
13. Which character flirts with Estelle?
14. What color does Garcin say his wife always wears?
15. What does the valet explain about dental hygiene where Garcin is now?
(a) nothing here can decay
(b) everything is free
(c) a toothbrush will be supplied
(d) no need for a toothbrush
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Inez's scornful rebuke to Estelle and Garcin?
2. What does Estelle ask Inez and Garcin if they had ever done?
3. What does Inez say a torturer looks like?
4. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
5. Which character says that the three are all "damned souls"?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)