|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many windows are there in the room?
2. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
(a) he never feels tired
(b) there are no windows
(c) there is no bed
(d) there are no clocks
3. What does Estelle ask Inez and Garcin if they had ever done?
(a) gone skiing in the Swiss Alps
(b) taken a cruise to the Caribbean
(c) attended a country party at the home of one of her friends
(d) held season tickets to the opera
4. When does Estelle speak sharply to Garcin for the second time?
(a) when he sits on the floor
(b) when he laughs at Inez
(c) when he gets up and walks around
(d) when he tries to take off his jacket
5. Who does Inez ask about?
6. What is Estelle's complaint about the sofa left for her?
(a) the wrong color to go with her dress
(b) a style that has gone out of fashion
(c) too small for her to lie down
(d) not positioned where she can see the others
7. What dramatic technique does Sartre use to let the audience know more about hell?
(a) the colors of the sofas
(b) the statue that cannot be moved
(c) the characters watching life back on earth
(d) the nonsensical dialogue
8. What does Garcin suddenly notice that the valet doesn't do?
(c) open his mouth
(d) sit down
9. What was Estelle's brother like?
(a) Rich and accomplished.
(b) Terribly delicate.
(c) Rough and ill-mannered.
10. How does she know what a torturer looks like?
(a) from her childhood experiences at home
(b) from living many years with her husband
(c) from her Catholic girls' school nuns
(d) from seeing her reflection in the mirror
11. Which character flirts with Estelle?
12. Which sofa does Estelle prefer?
(a) a new one to be brought in
(c) none of them
13. What does Garcin promise?
(a) that he will never torture the others
(b) that he will find a way out
(c) that they will see it is all a dream
(d) that he will not let them torture him
14. Why doesn't her friend Olga cry?
(a) she doesn't want to ruin her makeup
(b) she is happy that Estelle is dead
(c) she doesn't know how to cry
(d) she is thinking about something else
15. Which character wishes they were there "by mistake"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Inez's response to Garcin's suggestion about getting themselves in order?
2. Garcin suggests they all stay where?
3. What is Garcin's complaint about his wife?
4. What is the valet's comment when Garcin asks about turning out the lights?
5. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)