|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Estelle's objection to Garcin's actions?
(a) she can't stand seeing men in their shirt-sleeves
(b) she says he is being too personal
(c) she doesn't think it's that hot
(d) she says he has no sense of style
2. What does Estelle accuse Garcin of trying to do?
(a) seduce Inez
(b) seduce her
(c) gag Inez
(d) murder her
3. How does Inez say a torturer looks?
4. What is Estelle's suggestion to the others?
(a) that they try to sleep for a while
(b) that they introduce themselves
(c) that they order room service
(d) that they play charades
5. What peculiarity do they suddenly realize about where they are?
(a) that they cannot tell the directions
(b) that time passes differently than on earth
(c) that they do not get hungry
(d) that there is no ventilation
6. What is Estelle focusing on?
(a) the wrinkles in her dress
(b) the statue
(d) a vision she's having of her funeral
7. Which character says that the room is ugly?
8. Who asks the Valet if they can turn out the lights?
9. How do they react upon realizing they have an eternity with each other?
(c) happy and secure
(d) afraid and angry
10. What did Garcin describe his workplace as always being?
(b) Stiflingly hot.
(d) Cold as a tomb.
11. What is the valet's comment when Garcin asks about turning out the lights?
(a) that there are no switches
(b) that the light is ambient
(c) that it rarely happens
(d) that it is impossible
12. What does Garcin explain to Inez?
(a) the room must fill up with people before the torture
(b) the suffering hasn't yet begun
(c) torture is not what they have heard it is
(d) the torturers are all busy now
13. What does realizing their condition make them do?
(a) stop talking to each other
(b) start crying and cursing fate
(c) continue torturing each other
(d) try to get out of the room
14. What expectation does Estelle have about seeing Garcin?
(a) someone with implements of torture
(b) someone with blood on his shirt
(c) someone with a long tail
(d) someone with a ruined face
15. How does she know what a torturer looks like?
(a) from seeing her reflection in the mirror
(b) from her childhood experiences at home
(c) from living many years with her husband
(d) from her Catholic girls' school nuns
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
2. What does Estelle say happened after she had been married for some time?
3. Which character says that the three are all "damned souls"?
4. What is Inez's scornful rebuke to Estelle and Garcin?
5. Why doesn't her friend Olga cry?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)