|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the three characters bicker over?
(a) how to get out of the room
(b) who owns which sofa
(c) how to handle the heat
(d) how ugly the statue is
2. Who asked Estelle to run away with him/her?
(a) A younger man.
(d) One of her husband's business partners.
3. Which character enters the room first?
4. Why does Estelle speak sharply to Garcin?
(a) because he's sitting on her sofa
(b) because he makes fun of her
(c) because he is the torturer
(d) because he is a man
5. What is Inez's reaction when she is ushered into the room?
(a) she is hysterical
(b) she says nothing
(c) she screams at the valet
(d) she asks all kinds of questions
6. Who tries to take off his/her jacket?
7. Where does Estelle say her husband is?
(a) At work.
(b) At her funeral.
(c) At the hospital.
(d) At home.
8. What is strange about Estelle's friend at her funeral?
(a) She did not attend.
(b) She wore red.
(c) She did not send flowers.
(d) She did not cry.
9. Which character says "I don't care much for men anyway"?
10. What does Garcin complain that he has not been allowed to do?
(a) to change his clothes
(b) to keep a toothbrush
(c) to comb his hair
(d) to write a letter
11. What does Garcin promise?
(a) that he will find a way out
(b) that he will never torture the others
(c) that he will not let them torture him
(d) that they will see it is all a dream
12. Where was Garcin shot?
(a) In the neck.
(b) In the head.
(c) In his back.
(d) In the chest.
13. What does Estelle comment about on the room's decor?
(a) the size of the statue
(b) the bareness of the walls
(c) the ugliness of the furniture
(d) the arrangement of the sofas
14. What question does Garcin ask Inez?
(a) where she bought her dress
(b) what a torturer looks like
(c) how she met the valet
(d) who does her hair
15. What happened to make Estelle's marriage unhappy?
(a) She met Inez.
(b) She met a younger man.
(c) She met Garcin.
(d) Her husband had an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inez say killed her?
2. What do each of their stories reveal about the three characters?
3. What does Garcin ask the valet?
4. What does Inez realize first?
5. What is missing from the room?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)