|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Estelle focusing on?
(a) a vision she's having of her funeral
(c) the wrinkles in her dress
(d) the statue
2. When Estelle enters the room, who is already there?
(a) Only Garcin.
(b) Inez and Florence.
(c) Inez and Garcin.
(d) Only Florence.
3. How many times does the door open?
4. What dramatic technique does Sartre use to let the audience know more about hell?
(a) the statue that cannot be moved
(b) the colors of the sofas
(c) the nonsensical dialogue
(d) the characters watching life back on earth
5. What question does Garcin ask Inez?
(a) how she met the valet
(b) where she bought her dress
(c) who does her hair
(d) what a torturer looks like
6. Who does Garcin say always got on his nerves?
(c) His mistress.
(d) His wife.
7. What is Olga doing when Estelle, Garcin, and Inez discover that time moves differently in the room than on Earth?
(a) Preparing for bed.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Smoking cigars.
(d) Waking up the next day.
8. What is Garcin's profession?
9. What is Inez's scornful rebuke to Estelle and Garcin?
(a) that they stop playing games and just tell the truth
(b) that they think they're better than anyone else
(c) that they don't think before they speak
(d) that they all need to shut up
10. Estelle says that she is in the room...
(a) Because her husband sent her there.
(b) Because she deserves it.
(c) By mistake.
(d) By her choice.
11. What does Garcin say he did on Earth?
(a) he wrote socialist novels
(b) he was a proponent of war
(c) he organized labor unions
(d) he ran a pacifist newspaper
12. How many windows are there in the room?
13. What is Estelle's suggestion to the others?
(a) that they try to sleep for a while
(b) that they play charades
(c) that they order room service
(d) that they introduce themselves
14. What does Garcin say he is doing?
(a) making a plan
(b) getting himself in order
(c) trying to remember
(d) preparing to break out
15. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is smoking cigars in one of the visions?
2. What makes Estelle speak?
3. How many sofas are there in the room?
4. When does Estelle speak sharply to Garcin for the second time?
5. What is Inez's response to Garcin's suggestion about getting themselves in order?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)