• A valet shows a man, Garcin, into an ornate room with three sofas. Garcin is surprised that there are no instruments of torture.
• Garcin is the first guest to be ushered into the room by a mysterious valet.
• Garcin grumbles about not having a toothbrush and the valet tells him there is no need for one.
• Garcin realizes several things about the accommodation--no beds and no mirrors.
• Garcin learns that outside the room there are hallways and more rooms.
• In the room, Garcin finds a heavy bronze statue and a paper knife.
• The bell to call the valet does not work, as the valet had warned, and the door will not open.
• There is a foreshadowing as Garcin discovers a paper knife and wonders why it is there.
• Suddenly Inez is ushered into the room and told to ask Garcin if she has any questions.
• Inez's strange...
This section contains 2,784 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)