|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sully and Peter find in the snow on the way home?
2. From where has Peter just returned?
3. What does Carl want out of Sully's father's old house?
4. Wirf says it will take _________________ to get Sully out of jail.
5. Sully drives his truck _________________ to follow Rub.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Beryl vow not to do again after following Clive Jr.s' advice?
2. Why is Miss Beryl questioning her allegiance to Sully and thinking that Clive Jr. might be right about him?
3. Why is Rub upset with the introduction of Peter and Will into Sully's life?
4. What does Wirf tell Sully about the state of Wirf's health?
5. What does Sully do that makes him regret his actions, especially when he needs money so desperately?
6. How does Miss Beryl feel about Sully's imminent move?
7. What does Peter think is wrong with his mother given her recent behavior?
8. Why are the town's hopes for some economic recovery dashed again?
9. What influence has Peter had on Sully's life?
10. Why does Sully have only two weeks to move out of Miss Beryl's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Does Russo end the story on a note of hope for Sully, Carl and Peter or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Miss Beryl including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)