|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Carl have for Sully?
2. What does Sully need but cannot get because it is Thanksgiving and stores are closed?
3. Who does Miss Beryl send to rescue the person in #69?
4. What does Peter tell his mistress when he calls her?
5. What does Carl let Sully borrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is New Bath economically depressed?
2. Why do Sully and Ruth part angrily after Sully proposes marriage?
3. What is Sully's relationship with his family?
4. What is the dynamic of Sully's family?
5. Who is Deidre and why does Peter call her on Thanksgiving evening?
6. Why does Peter call an ambulance for his father on Thanksgiving night?
7. Who is Joyce and what is Miss Beryl's opinion of her?
8. What plans does Sully have for Thanksgiving dinner?
9. How does Miss Beryl know that Mrs. Gruber has betrayed her?
10. How does Sully behave when Miles Anderson tries to reach him at The Horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of NOBODY'S FOOL. What is the significance of the town's economic depression? How does it impact the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Miss Beryl including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)