|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom will Miss Beryl be having Thanksgiving dinner this year?
2. What is the outcome of Sully's meeting with Miles Anderson?
3. Why does Sully agree to meet Carl at the donut shop?
4. Who does Miss Beryl send to rescue the person in #69?
5. What does Carl give Sully on Friday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Carl Roebuck and what is the standing disagreement between him and Sully?
2. What is the status of Sully's disability claim?
3. How does Sully end up with Will and what information does Will share with him?
4. Who is Joyce and what is Miss Beryl's opinion of her?
5. How is Sully able to get the money and the pain medication he needs on Thanksgiving Day?
6. Why is Sully ignoring the advice about how to take care of his injured knee?
7. How much does Sully heed Wirf's advice?
8. What will happen to Sully if he is found to be working?
9. Why do Sully and Ruth part angrily after Sully proposes marriage?
10. How does Sully behave when Miles Anderson tries to reach him at The Horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russo is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the late 20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)