|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will ride Ian's horse in the big race?
2. Why was Ian going to meet Tiptop?
3. Who puts the drugs in a glass intended for Ian?
4. Who is head of Par-Con after Bartlett dies?
5. Whom does Ian send with Chen to get the papers that Chen has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Suslev after the landslide?
2. What was the disagreement between Casey and Bartlett at breakfast on the morning of the big race?
3. What information does Gornt not know about the Struan business?
4. What does Gornt tell Bartlett about Orlanda?
5. What is the deal that will be announced in the racetrack clubhouse before the big race with a formal announcement to follow on Monday?
6. Where does Grant suggest that Ian invest and why?
7. What happened at the end of the big race?
8. What happens when Paul Choy asks his father for money to gamble in the stock market?
9. What does Choy want from Ian in return for the half-coin?
10. What does Ian threaten to do if Kwok is not released?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the gun-smuggling incident. What is its significance? Did it start a chain of events? If so, explain the chain of events.
Essay Topic 2
What does the reader learn about tai-pans and the Hong Kong business world from the description of the closely guarded ceremony when Ian Dunross became tai-pan?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ian Dunross and Quillan Gornt. Be specific. Among other things include emotional traits, relationships with people, business relationships, familial ties, etc.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)