|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that was impounded in India for smuggling gold?
2. Whom does Smiler Ching call a High Tiger of the White Powders?
3. Who represents Bartlett at a meeting with Noble House?
4. Who asks Alexi for information on Ian?
5. Who is Nestorova?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gornt's goal in making a deal with Bartlett?
2. Who is Paul Choy and what is his educational background?
3. Crosse wants to find the link between Bartlett's arrival and what?
4. What evidence is there that Kwok is a Chinese mole?
5. What was the deal that Mata offered Ian from the syndicate?
6. What does the half-coin that was missing represent to Phillip Chen?
7. What does Suslev discuss with Crosse at the race track?
8. What does Rosemont tell Crosse about Crosse's men who were undercover in Canton?
9. Why does Gornt introduce Bartlett to Orlanda Ramos?
10. What happened at the Floating Dragon Restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major conflicts in "Noble House" is the conflict between the two major houses: Struan's and Rothwell-Gornt's. Discuss which of the four types of conflicts this is and why. Then give an example from the book of each of the other three kinds of conflict, describing the conflict and its resolution.
Essay Topic 2
What was the function or significance of horseracing in this book? Could the author have substituted another sporting event? Be specific in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters: Lincoln Bartlett, Casey Tcholok, or Paul Choy. Discuss how that character developed through the novel. Include any specific event or encounter that was a catalyst for change.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)