|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gornt go to meet with Jason Plumm?
2. What is the name of the captain of the Sovetsky Ivanov?
3. What trade does the High Tiger of the White Powders engage in?
4. Who arrives unexpectedly at the party at Ian Dunross's?
5. What stock is Ian planning to sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What particular instructions did Four Fingers Wu give to his men regarding John Chen?
2. What happens to Tsu-yan?
3. Why does Bartlett come to Hong Kong?
4. Crosse wants to find the link between Bartlett's arrival and what?
5. Why did Casey tell Ian Dunross that the deal between Ian and Bartlett was off?
6. What is Sinclair Towers?
7. What was the deal that Mata offered Ian from the syndicate?
8. What did Phillip Chen find in his son's safety deposit box?
9. Why does Bartlett want to put together a deal with Gornt for them to loan money to Ian?
10. What orders does Captain Gregor Suslev receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the concepts of heroes and villains. Then choose two of the following characters: Casey Tcholok, Brian Kwok, Paul Choy, Orlanda Ramos, or Four Finger Wu. Discuss whether they are heroes or villains in this story. Be specific using examples from the book. If you think they were neither heroes nor villains, then explain why using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Clavell would have chosen to write this book in the third person point of view rather than the first person. What difference would it make to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between static and dynamic characters. Then choose one example of each type of character from the book. Explain how these characters meet the definition of static or dynamic. Be specific using examples from the book.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)