|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does August want to receive more attention from?
2. What is the name of the narrator?
3. Why was the location for the print shop chosen?
4. How old is the narrator?
5. Where does August decide to befriend Number 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the days that follow the fulfillment of Number 44's threat?
2. How does August help Number 44 do his work on his first day as an apprentice?
3. What does August do to try and get a chance to get Marget to love his physical self?
4. What does Frau Stein want to do when the strange appears, and who interrupts her plan?
5. When is Marget in love with August?
6. What questions does Number 44 ask August about God before he disappears?
7. What happens when Emil asks Number 44 to set him free?
8. What concepts does Number 44 try to teach August about after their journeys together?
9. How is the art of printing seen in Austria when this book begins, and why?
10. What does August do when he wakes to find Emil in his room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
August endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)