|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heinrich not want to meet the demands of the tribe?
2. How many coins does August have when he prays after helping Number 44?
3. What do the entities do when Heinrich finds the work being done?
4. Who provides Number 44 with new clothes?
5. Who is Heinrich waiting for to help him with his next big job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does August do when he gets sad or stressed?
2. Who takes the blame off of Number 44 for his magic abilities, and what logic is used to do so?
3. What does Number 44 tell the dog to do for Heinrich?
4. How does August describe Frau Stein?
5. What concepts does Number 44 try to teach August about after their journeys together?
6. What does Frau Stein want to do when the strange appears, and who interrupts her plan?
7. What does the tribe get jealous of Number 44 for?
8. What does the tribe do when they see that the university job has been completed?
9. What do August and Number 44 see when they go to help load the wagons with the completed university job?
10. How does Number 44 say the duplicates differ from the real counterparts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Number 44 performs many acts of service during his time as a printer's apprentice. What are some of the most significant examples of this service, and how do these events affects the characters involved in them?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)