|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does August fall in love with?
(a) Frau Stein.
(c) Number 44.
(d) Frau Regen.
2. What does August do with the silver cup given to him by Number 44?
(a) Uses it at meal times.
(b) Sells it.
(c) Hides it.
(d) Melts it down.
3. What does August do while the people recover from the affects of Number 44's magic?
(a) Has some lunch.
(b) Goes for a walk.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Reads a book.
4. Who does August's duplicate think can free him from his fleshly prison?
(a) Father Adolf.
(b) Number 44.
5. What does Number 44 say man cannot originate?
6. What is Number 44 dressed as when he appears to Emil and August?
(a) The African-American slave.
(b) The magician.
(c) A king.
(d) A court jester.
7. How does August feel about the concepts Number 44 tries to teach him?
(a) He does not like them.
(b) He is eager to learn more.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) He gets angry about them.
8. What does Number 44 say he will be when he disappears?
(a) A feeling.
(b) A thought.
(c) A memory.
(d) A dream.
9. What does August think he is seeing when he sees Number 44 after his burial?
(a) A demon.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A dream.
10. What does the man who calls Number 44 arrogant do to Number 44?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Kicks him.
(c) Takes his hat.
(d) Pulls his hair.
11. What does Emil look down on August for?
(a) Being human.
(b) Being in love.
(c) Being obtuse.
(d) Being young.
12. How does Marget's maid distinguish the duplicate August from the real August?
(a) She sees life in August's eyes.
(b) She sees a marking on Emil's arm.
(c) She notes the darkness in Emil's eyes.
(d) She senses August's remorse.
13. What did August do to avoid talking about Number 44's burial?
(a) Wore a mask.
(b) Worked harder than usual.
(c) Became invisible.
(d) Hid in his room.
14. Who is trying the hardest to find Balthasar?
(b) Frau Regen.
(d) Number 44.
15. What realm does August say he is in when he is with Number 44?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the person August loves treat him?
2. What time of day is Number 44's threat realized?
3. Who warns Number 44 that the people are coming for him?
4. What is the name of August's dream self?
5. What does Number 44 call himself after he is called arrogant?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)