|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stranger dressed in?
(b) A grand ball gown.
(c) Mismatched suit.
(d) Nice clothing that is too small.
2. Why was the location for the print shop chosen?
(a) To have good lighting.
(b) To keep things cool.
(c) To have the needed space.
(d) To keep visitors away.
3. What does the man who said he did not help with the deadline claim he said to men in the town?
(a) Not to take the job to help Heinrich.
(b) To spread rumors of Heinrich's poor ability.
(c) To keep the job from getting done.
(d) Not to let the wagons pass through the town.
4. Who asks that the friendship between August and Number 44 be kept private?
(b) Number 44.
5. Where does Heinrich's friend work from normally?
(b) He wanders.
(c) The Vatican.
6. How does August feel about the way the tribe treats Number 44?
(a) He understands it.
(b) He finds it childish.
(c) He is amused by it.
(d) He hates it.
7. What needs to be done on the day of the university deadline?
(a) The pages must be set in order.
(b) The wagons must be loaded.
(c) The book must be bound.
(d) The ink must be dried.
8. What does August call the group of people living at the castle?
(a) The tribe.
(b) The group.
(c) The family.
(d) The gathereds.
9. Where does Hienrich think the stranger came from after hearing the strange name?
(a) An asylum.
(b) An internment camp.
(c) The hospital.
10. What is August confused about after the appearance of Number 44?
(a) Why he is treated so badly.
(b) Where he fits in the group.
(c) Where he came from.
(d) How to treat him.
11. What time does Number 44 finally show up on the day August wants to befriend him?
(a) 3:00 am.
(c) 3:00 pm.
12. What does Frau Stein want to do with the stranger?
(a) Feed him dinner.
(b) Turn him in to the authorities.
(c) Hire him in the print shop.
(d) Throw him out.
13. How does Number 44 respond to the bad treatment from the tribe?
(a) He does not seem to notice.
(b) He gets angry and runs off.
(c) He cries in private.
(d) He laughs it off.
14. What does Heinrich promise to do to offer more time for the last of the university job to be completed?
(a) Put rocks on the road to slow their coming.
(b) Pay double.
(c) Work with all his might.
(d) Keep the guests overnight.
15. What word does August use many times to describe Heinrich?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Heinrich related to Frau Regen?
2. What time of day does the stranger appear?
3. What is the tribe sure Heinrich will not give up to disobey their orders?
4. How does Heinrich feel while he is waiting for his friend to appear?
5. What does the tribe do to try and prove Number 44 wrong on his first day in the new position?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)