Chapters 1 and 2
• August is a 16-year-old printing apprentice in Austria in 1490. The country is mostly Catholic, and printing is a new phenomenon.
• Adolf is a priest. The Catholic Church is wary of printing as it will provide information to the masses.
• Adolf and the other priests say giving information to the people will only lead to trouble.
• Heinrich Stein is the printing master and works out of Rosenfeld castle. He lives with his skinny wife, and his daughter Marie.
• Heinrich's sister and her daughter live with them. She has hired Balthasar, a magician, to entertain her and teach her about the stars.
• The other people living in the castle are workers who help with various jobs in the printing shop.
Chapters 3 and 4
• The castle is so large, 1,000 people could comfortably live there. The occupants have their choice of lodgings.
• The tribe usually gathers around the large fire in...
This section contains 1,944 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)