|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clare say her solitude in London led to?
2. When does Clare assume Bobby left her?
3. Why does the film crew come to Jamaica?
4. In "Chapter 5," who does Clare visit in Jamaica?
5. Why does Clare go to the film shooting location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clare search Paris, in "Chapter 8"?
2. What do Clare and Harry/Harriet do during her visit to Jamaica?
3. Why are there Americans in Jamaica, in "Chapter 11"?
4. Why does Harry/Harriet decide it is time to change, in "Chapter 10"?
5. What happens when Clare discovers she is pregnant, in "Chapter 6"?
6. How is the woman in "Chapter 7" described?
7. Why is Clare interviewed, in "Chapter 10"?
8. What does Clare realize about Liz after they visit, in "Chapter 5"?
9. How would you describe the beginning of Clare and Bobby's relationship?
10. What happens when Clare sees the Jamaican orphans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of the Jamaican landscape in this novel. Consider the ruinate, dungle, cities, and Miss Mattie's land.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of history in this novel. Consider the history of colonization, civil rights, and Jamaica.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of identity as it is presented in "No Telephone to Heaven." What makes identity? What changes identity?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)