|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry/Harriet eat in "Chapter 10" that upsets him?
2. Why is Harry referred to as Harry/Harriet?
3. Why does the interviewer talk about Anansi?
4. In "Chapter 7," what is said to have happened to the woman's children?
5. What does Miss Cherry say about Jamaica?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Clare and Harry/Harriet do during her visit to Jamaica?
2. What types of questions does the interviewer ask Clare?
3. What happens when the helicopter flies overhead during the film shoot?
4. How does Bobby react to his nightmares?
5. Why is Clare interviewed, in "Chapter 10"?
6. How is the woman in "Chapter 7" described?
7. In "Chapter 5," what makes Clare decide to visit Jamaica?
8. What happens when Clare discovers she is pregnant, in "Chapter 6"?
9. Why is Clare admired at her school in London?
10. What happens to Clare during her ship ride to Jamaica, in "Chapter 8"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of identity as it is presented in "No Telephone to Heaven." What makes identity? What changes identity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of multiple narrative techniques in the novel. Consider the shifting perspectives, insertion of poetry, and use of quotes to open the chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of the Jamaican landscape in this novel. Consider the ruinate, dungle, cities, and Miss Mattie's land.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)