|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," where do the people in the truck get their clothes from?
2. What does Harriet do for a living?
3. In "Chapter 1," what name is given to the land the soldiers travel through?
4. Where do the soldiers plan on training, in "Chapter 1"?
5. In the opening quote of "Chapter 3," what is the lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kitty homesick in New York City?
2. What is ruinate?
3. Who is Miss Mattie?
4. How does Boy feel about life in America, in "Chapter 3"?
5. What was Christopher's childhood like?
6. How is Clare's relationship with Paul defined?
7. How does Clare feel about her relationship with Kitty after Kitty returns to Jamaica?
8. What flashback occurs in "Chapter 3"?
9. What job does Kitty have, in "Chapter 3"?
10. How does Clare say she learned about her blackness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of history in this novel. Consider the history of colonization, civil rights, and Jamaica.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on masculinity and being male?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is violence shown as a solution, in "No Telephone to Heaven"? In what ways is violence denounced? Overall, what is the author's commentary on violence?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)