|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose headstone does Kitty visit at the cemetery?
2. Why does Christopher's grandmother tear her handkerchief in half?
3. What makes Christopher want to find his grandmother and put her to rest?
4. Who first meets up with Kitty and Boy when they go to New York City?
5. What event happens before Kitty and Boy leave for the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clare's relationship with Paul defined?
2. How is the truck in "Chapter 2" connected to religion?
3. What probably leads Christopher to kill Paul's family?
4. What happens when Paul comes home, in "Chapter 2"?
5. Who is Miss Mattie?
6. How does Jennie adjust to life in the United States, in "Chapter 4"?
7. What job does Kitty have, in "Chapter 3"?
8. What has happened to the house described, in "Chapter 1"?
9. What happens when the Hispanic woman comes into the laundry, in "Chapter 3"?
10. Why is ganja important to the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of multiple narrative techniques in the novel. Consider the shifting perspectives, insertion of poetry, and use of quotes to open the chapters.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of "Gone with the Wind" in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of Christopher in this novel? What does he symbolize? How does he influence the development of the novel?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)