|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," where do the people in the truck get their clothes from?
2. Why does Christopher's grandmother tear her handkerchief in half?
3. What name does Kitty call Boy during an argument, in "Chapter 3"?
4. How does Clare's father feel about telling her she is black?
5. What does Boy do at the laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clare's life change after Kitty's death?
2. Why is Kitty homesick in New York City?
3. What probably leads Christopher to kill Paul's family?
4. How is the truck in "Chapter 2" connected to religion?
5. What happens when Clare asks Jennie about their mother, in "Chapter 4"?
6. What was Christopher's childhood like?
7. How do the soldiers in "Chapter 1" feel about ruinate?
8. What does Christopher do, at the end of "Chapter 2"?
9. What flashback occurs in "Chapter 3"?
10. How is Clare's relationship with Paul defined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of motherhood. Consider the mothers in this novel, Clare's struggle with motherhood, and the idea of Jamaica as a motherland.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of the geographic movement in this novel. Consider the places Clare goes and how her physical movement relates to emotional movement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of social class in this novel. How do the different classes interact?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)