|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of "Chapter 1," what has just ended?
2. What does the Brother at the church give Christopher as a child?
3. Who brings Kitty to the United States?
4. What does Miss Mattie's granddaughter do to help others, in "Chapter 1."
5. How is Clare's skin described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Christopher's childhood like?
2. What is revealed about Paul and Christopher when they talk to each other, in "Chapter 2"?
3. What does Christopher do, at the end of "Chapter 2"?
4. What happens after Kitty changes the notes, in "Chapter 3"?
5. What is ruinate?
6. What do the soldiers want to do to Miss Mattie's land?
7. How does Clare feel about her relationship with Kitty after Kitty returns to Jamaica?
8. How is Clare introduced in "Chapter 4"?
9. What has happened to the house described, in "Chapter 1"?
10. How does Clare say she learned about her blackness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of "Gone with the Wind" in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of the geographic movement in this novel. Consider the places Clare goes and how her physical movement relates to emotional movement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of social class in this novel. How do the different classes interact?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)