|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that Clare puts stress on places?
(a) Because she talks about where she has lived.
(b) Because she focuses on the land.
(c) Because she says she is looking for her place.
(d) Because she describes her bedroom.
2. What does Clare do, at the end of "Chapter 10"?
(a) Shakes the interviewers hand.
(b) Wakes up.
(c) Leaves with Harry/Harriet.
(d) Begins to cry.
3. In "Chapter 10," what does Clare tell the interviewer she has been doing since returning to Jamaica?
(a) Building homes.
4. What insect does Clare spot in her hospital room?
(a) A large horsefly.
(b) A black moth.
(c) A blue butterfly.
(d) A striped bee.
5. Why does Clare visit a doctor in Jamaica?
(a) Because she wants to find a cure for Bobby's leg.
(b) Because she is interviewing for a job.
(c) Because she wants to discuss getting pregnant.
(d) Because she has an infection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clare do with her mother's old school books when she finds them, in "Chapter 11"?
2. At the end of Harry/Harriet's letter, he says Clare must do more than _____?
3. Why do the people at Clare's university believe she is lucky?
4. Why do the Jamaican orphans have light skin?
5. Why does Christopher cry at the end of "Chapter 9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the author describes Bobby's past, what does she talk about?
2. What do Clare and Harry/Harriet do during her visit to Jamaica?
3. Why does Clare say the burial grounds on Miss Mattie's land is "unquiet"?
4. What happens when Clare sees the Jamaican orphans?
5. What is the author worried about, in "Chapter 7"?
6. What types of questions does the interviewer ask Clare?
7. What does Clare realize about Liz after they visit, in "Chapter 5"?
8. How would you describe the beginning of Clare and Bobby's relationship?
9. Why does Clare search Paris, in "Chapter 8"?
10. In "Chapter 5," what makes Clare decide to visit Jamaica?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)