|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clare describe as being the "unquiet ground," in "Chapter 8"?
(a) The land where the slaves are buried.
(c) The overgrown parts of Miss Mattie's property.
(d) The Jamaican ports run by the United States.
2. Why do the people at Clare's university believe she is lucky?
(a) For not knowing her mother.
(b) For avoiding brain damage.
(c) For getting to travel.
(d) For being Jamaican.
3. In "Chapter 5," who does Harry/Harriet say raped him as a child?
(a) A black man.
(b) A white woman.
(c) A black woman.
(d) A white man.
4. What does Bobby do when Clare asks him about the Vietnam war?
(a) He asks her to stop.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He tells her everything.
(d) He says he'll talk to her, but he may lie.
5. In "Chapter 9," what does the god described in the hymn do?
(a) Flood a town.
(b) Steal soldiers.
(c) Kill a family.
(d) Burn a village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry/Harriet describe sugarcane as being dangerous?
2. How does Bobby feel about Clare returning to be with her family?
3. Why does Harry/Harriet send Clare a letter, in "Chapter 6"?
4. What happens to the white people in the quote, at the beginning of "Chapter 11"?
5. When Harry/Harriet visits Clare in the hospital in "Chapter 8," what big news does she share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry/Harriet believe that Clare should stay in Jamaica?
2. Why is Clare admired at her school in London?
3. What does Clare do when she arrives at Miss Mattie's land, in "Chapter 8"?
4. What is the author worried about, in "Chapter 7"?
5. How does Bobby react to his nightmares?
6. Why does Clare say the burial grounds on Miss Mattie's land is "unquiet"?
7. Why does Harry/Harriet decide it is time to change, in "Chapter 10"?
8. What does Clare do when she arrives at the movie set, in "Chapter 11"?
9. In "Chapter 5," what makes Clare decide to visit Jamaica?
10. How would you describe the beginning of Clare and Bobby's relationship?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)