|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jennie make Clare question in "Chapter 4"?
(b) Her biological father.
(c) Why she wasn't taken to Jamaica.
(d) If she's been lucky all her life.
2. In "Chapter 2," how does being far from home affect some Jamaicans?
(a) They gain power from it.
(b) They are sad with it.
(c) They feel free because of it.
(d) They are frustrated with it.
3. In "Chapter 1," where does the narrator say the soldiers sleep?
(b) In other people's houses.
(c) In a truck-bed.
(d) In tents.
4. Who takes Clare to see "Gone with the Wind"?
(a) Her father.
(b) A teacher.
(c) An uncle.
(d) Her mother.
5. How do the soldiers feel about the house, in "Chapter 1"?
(a) They are grateful to the people who live there.
(b) They ignore it.
(c) They want to burn it.
(d) They try to take it over.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," how are the races of the people in the back of the truck described?
2. In "Chapter 4," what makes Clare nearly lose her balance?
3. How do the men in "Chapter 1" get their weapons?
4. What does Clare say happened when her father tried to register her as white for school?
5. When Kitty has a flashback in "Chapter 3," what does she remember waking her up at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," how are the soldiers' lifestyles described?
2. What does Clare do, at the end of "Chapter 4"?
3. What is revealed about Paul and Christopher when they talk to each other, in "Chapter 2"?
4. How is Clare's relationship with Paul defined?
5. What do the soldiers want to do to Miss Mattie's land?
6. Why is ganja important to the soldiers?
7. What has happened to the house described, in "Chapter 1"?
8. What is ruinate?
9. What happens when Clare asks Jennie about their mother, in "Chapter 4"?
10. How does Clare's life change after Kitty's death?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)