|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman know well, in "Chapter 7"?
(a) The land she hunts.
(b) The path home.
(c) The songs that ease the sick.
(d) The history of her family.
2. What happens to the white people in the quote, at the beginning of "Chapter 11"?
(a) They move back to Europe.
(b) They hold hands with the black people.
(c) They take over the land.
(d) Their faces darken.
3. In "Chapter 7," what is said to have happened to the woman's children?
(a) They stole her jewelry.
(b) They killed her.
(c) They left her.
(d) They were never born.
4. How does Clare know Liz?
(a) Through work.
(b) Through school.
(c) They are related.
(d) They meet a grocery store.
5. In "Chapter 9," what is said happened to Christopher after the murders he committed?
(a) He joined a church group.
(b) He was arrested but found innocent at trial.
(c) He started a small militia.
(d) He was never caught.
6. In "Chapter 7," what does the woman do to the graves of the restless?
(a) She lights fires near their graves.
(b) She dances on their graves.
(c) She plants on their graves.
(d) She paints their headstones.
7. Why does the narrator say that Clare puts stress on places?
(a) Because she says she is looking for her place.
(b) Because she talks about where she has lived.
(c) Because she describes her bedroom.
(d) Because she focuses on the land.
8. Why is Maypen Cemetery dug up?
(a) To get the homeless population there to leave.
(b) To build more city.
(c) To give the people their proper burials.
(d) No one knows why.
9. What do Clare's fellow students admire most about her?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her mind.
(c) Her skin color.
(d) Her communication skills.
10. Why does Harry/Harriet send Clare a letter, in "Chapter 6"?
(a) To pass news along about Miss Mattie's land.
(b) To update her on political events in Jamaica.
(c) To find out more about Bobby.
(d) To say he misses her.
11. In "Chapter 9," what does the god described in the hymn do?
(a) Kill a family.
(b) Steal soldiers.
(c) Burn a village.
(d) Flood a town.
12. How does Bobby feel about Clare returning to be with her family?
(a) He thinks she will have to separate from them.
(b) He thinks she only returns out of guilt.
(c) He doesn't care about Clare's personal life.
(d) He thinks that family is the strongest bond.
13. What does Clare do, at the end of "Chapter 10"?
(a) Shakes the interviewers hand.
(b) Begins to cry.
(c) Leaves with Harry/Harriet.
(d) Wakes up.
14. Where does the quote in "Chapter 5" originally come from?
(a) A song.
(b) A poem.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) A Bible passage.
15. Why does Harry/Harriet describe sugarcane as being dangerous?
(a) Because of its spikes.
(b) Because of its sugar content.
(c) Because of the slaves who harvest it.
(d) Because of the cost of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher get the nickname "the watchman"?
2. In "Chapter 5," what choice does Harry/Harriet tell Clare she will have to make?
3. What does Clare do after meeting Bobby?
4. What does the woman in "Chapter 7" call the items in her pocket?
5. Why is Harry referred to as Harry/Harriet?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)