|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," what does Christopher remember about a light-skinned boy from his childhood?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Learning to read.
(c) Digging holes.
(d) Going fishing.
2. What does Boy say the sign was for his family to leave Jamaica?
(a) The fires in the village.
(b) The changing political leaders.
(c) The hurricane season.
(d) The death of Miss Mattie.
3. How does Clare learn that Miss Mattie's land has been abandoned?
(a) A relative tells Boy.
(b) It is in the news.
(c) Jennie tells her.
(d) A lost letter from Kitty.
4. How is Clare's skin described?
5. When Kitty has a flashback in "Chapter 3," what does Dorothy tell her?
(a) That Kitty must go back to sleep.
(b) That someone probably has died.
(c) That the war is coming.
(d) That she will be arrested soon.
6. What type of person's life is described, in the opening of "Chapter 2"?
(a) A slave.
(b) A woman.
(c) A white man.
(d) A politician.
7. What does Jennie make Clare question in "Chapter 4"?
(a) Why she wasn't taken to Jamaica.
(b) If she's been lucky all her life.
(d) Her biological father.
8. Why does Miss Mattie's granddaughter feel drawn to help others?
(a) Because it is her punishment.
(b) Because she wants to make up for her sins.
(c) Because her grandmother did the same.
(d) Because her boyfriend enjoys it.
9. After Kitty's death, what does Clare feel she must do?
(a) Marry someone.
(b) Transcend her mother's life.
(c) Travel Europe.
(d) Start her own business.
10. Where do the soldiers plan on training, in "Chapter 1"?
(a) They don't know where they will train yet.
(b) On their farm.
(c) In the United Stated.
(d) In a soldier school.
11. Why does Jennie believe Clare was left in the United States?
(a) Because she was beautiful.
(b) Because she was smart.
(c) Jennie doesn't know why.
(d) Because of her skin color.
12. Where was Clare a graduate student?
(a) New York City.
13. Where are the words "no telephone to heaven" painted?
(a) On a billboard.
(b) On a shack.
(c) On a government building.
(d) On a truck.
14. What do the men and women farm on their land, in "Chapter 1"?
(c) Prickly pears.
15. In "Chapter 2," how is Christopher's childhood home described?
(a) As being ruined by a hurricane.
(b) As being colorful.
(c) As being devoid of love.
(d) As being covered in garbage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe weapon manufacturing, in "Chapter 1"?
2. How does Clare's father feel about telling her she is black?
3. In "Chapter 1," what word is used interchangeably with "ruinate"?
4. Why does Kitty begin changing the notes at the laundry?
5. Why does Christopher's grandmother tear her handkerchief in half?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)