|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kitty visit several grocery stores, in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To get out of the house.
(b) To get the best prices.
(c) To learn English.
(d) To find Jamaican food.
2. In "Chapter 1," how are the races of the people in the back of the truck described?
(a) Mixed races.
(b) Light-skinned blacks.
(c) Dark-skinned blacks.
(d) Asians and whites.
3. What is printed on the notes used at the laundry?
(c) Tips for a good life.
(d) Directions for cleaning clothes.
4. What does Miss Mattie's granddaughter do to help others, in "Chapter 1."
(a) She gives them food.
(b) She raises money for them.
(c) She gives them rides in a truck.
(d) She builds them homes.
5. In "Chapter 1," what do the soldiers see as a sign of the decline of civilization?
(a) Burned down cities.
(b) Deseased crops and trees.
(c) Overrun houses and fields.
(d) Women and children running wild.
6. In "Chapter 1," why does the narrator say the men and women in the truck claimed a piece of land?
(a) Because it was rumored to hide gold.
(b) Because it was near the water.
(c) Because it was overgrown.
(d) Because it was legally theirs.
7. Why does Kitty's interview in "Chapter 3" go poorly?
(a) The interviewer finds out she's from Jamaica.
(b) The interview dislikes her accent.
(c) Kitty lies and is caught.
(d) Kitty is too nervous.
8. In "Chapter 2," how is Christopher's childhood home described?
(a) As being colorful.
(b) As being ruined by a hurricane.
(c) As being devoid of love.
(d) As being covered in garbage.
9. Who takes Clare to see "Gone with the Wind"?
(a) Her father.
(b) A teacher.
(c) An uncle.
(d) Her mother.
10. In "Chapter 1," what do the people carry with them in the truck?
(a) Money and empty crates.
(b) Weapons and supplies.
(c) Supplies and children.
(d) Clothing and weapons.
11. After Kitty's death, what does Clare feel she must do?
(a) Transcend her mother's life.
(b) Marry someone.
(c) Travel Europe.
(d) Start her own business.
12. How does Paul feel about involving the police in his family's murder?
(a) He thinks they will be useless.
(b) There aren't police at this time.
(c) He thinks they will solve the crime.
(d) He thinks they will blame him.
13. In the beginning of "Chapter 1," what has just ended?
(a) A stock market crash.
(b) A long war.
(c) A day at work.
(d) A heavy rain.
14. Where does the quote in "Chapter 3" originate?
(a) A Bible passage.
(b) British literature.
(c) A hymn.
(d) Jamaican folklore.
15. Why does Jennie come to live with Clare and Boy?
(a) Because Boy kidnapped her.
(b) Because Kitty sent her there.
(c) Because she wanted a better job.
(d) Because Kitty died.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," what name is given to the land the soldiers travel through?
2. In the beginning of "Chapter 4," where is the truck headed?
3. Where was Clare a graduate student?
4. In "Chapter 1," what is in the house?
5. How do the men in "Chapter 1" get their weapons?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)