|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of person's life is described, in the opening of "Chapter 2"?
(a) A slave.
(b) A politician.
(c) A white man.
(d) A woman.
2. Where does the truck head, in "Chapter 1"?
(a) Off a cliff.
(b) Through a tunnel.
(c) Around the mountain.
(d) Across a river.
3. What is printed on the notes used at the laundry?
(b) Directions for cleaning clothes.
(d) Tips for a good life.
4. After Kitty's death, what does Clare feel she must do?
(a) Transcend her mother's life.
(b) Travel Europe.
(c) Start her own business.
(d) Marry someone.
5. In "Chapter 2," how is Christopher's childhood home described?
(a) As being ruined by a hurricane.
(b) As being devoid of love.
(c) As being covered in garbage.
(d) As being colorful.
6. What does Boy do at the laundry?
(a) Cleans the back room.
(d) Takes orders.
7. In "Chapter 4," what ethnicity is Boy's girlfriend?
8. In "Chapter 2," what does Christopher remember about a light-skinned boy from his childhood?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Learning to read.
(c) Digging holes.
(d) Going fishing.
9. Who used to own the land the men and women in the truck reclaimed?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Miss Mattie.
(c) Rupert Goldstein.
(d) Mr. Walker.
10. According to the narrator, why were the lands originally taken from the Jamaicans?
(a) To try to help the native farmers.
(b) To prove English power.
(c) To build apartment buildings.
(d) To be cleared for agriculture.
11. Who does Charles have Christopher first serve?
(a) Paul's brother.
(b) Charles's wife.
(c) Charles's sister.
12. Why does Boy cut ties with Kitty's family in New York City?
(a) He thinks they are rude.
(b) He wants a brand new life.
(c) He wants to pass as white.
(d) He is always harrassed by them.
13. In "Chapter 2," who is the first person Christopher speaks to when he arrives at Paul's house?
14. What does Clare do at the end of "Chapter 4"?
(a) She goes to sleep.
(b) She interviews people in her old village.
(c) She begins to build a house.
(d) She delivers goods to people.
15. How are the members of Paul's family killed?
(a) They are drowned.
(b) Their throats are slit.
(c) Paul doesn't know.
(d) They are shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Clare's father tell her she is black?
2. When Paul comes home in "Chapter 2," what does he see?
3. In "Chapter 1," why does the narrator say the men and women in the truck claimed a piece of land?
4. In "Chapter 1," what is in the house?
5. Why won't Charles help Christopher find his grandmother's body?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)