|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry/Harriet describe sugarcane as being dangerous?
(a) Because of the slaves who harvest it.
(b) Because of the cost of it.
(c) Because of its spikes.
(d) Because of its sugar content.
2. When does Clare's father tell her she is black?
(a) Before she visits the doctor.
(b) When she turns 16.
(c) After the death of John F. Kennedy.
(d) After she meets her aunts.
3. Who brings Kitty to the United States?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
4. Why does Jennie come to live with Clare and Boy?
(a) Because she wanted a better job.
(b) Because Kitty died.
(c) Because Kitty sent her there.
(d) Because Boy kidnapped her.
5. What does Clare say happened when her father tried to register her as white for school?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) She was given preferential treatment.
(c) She was forced to take a test.
(d) He was caught lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 4," what makes Clare nearly lose her balance?
2. How are the members of Paul's family killed?
3. What does Jennie make Clare question in "Chapter 4"?
4. In "Chapter 5," who does Clare imagine comes to visit her in a taxi?
5. Who first meets up with Kitty and Boy when they go to New York City?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)