|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges for Lucy Mercer to visit Roosevelt every time Eleanor traveled?
2. What important conference does Roosevelt attend in January of 1945?
3. Where are Franklin and Eleanor at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. Who did Eleanor support for both his runs for the presidency?
5. What subject did not garner much interest among Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roosevelt's new rallying cry at the end of 1943?
2. What was the nature of Eleanor's identity crisis after the election of 1944?
3. Explain the role of antisemitism in Americans turning away shiploads of European refugees in 1942?
4. Explain the contrasts in Franklin and Eleanor's personalities that ultimately made their marriage troublesome.
5. What do some historians contend about Roosevelt's performance at Yalta in light of his failing health?
6. What was the state of Franklin's health in 1944?
7. Explain the GI Bill.
8. Explain the role that Anna Roosevelt plays in her parents' lives at the beginning of 1944.
9. Despite the devastation of war, what encouraging things did Eleanor witness when visiting England in the fall of 1942?
10. Explain the role of women in industry during World War II.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reports began to emerge from Europe regarding the extermination of European Jews by the Nazis, yet Jewish refugees were turned away from American shores. Why was there such an anti-Semitic philosophy rampant in America at this time? Why were major American intellectual and relief organizations not moved to help in this area?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor Roosevelt strongly opposed war of any kind. Explain the challenges Franklin Roosevelt faced when trying to "sell" war not only to the American public but also to his strong and opinionated wife. Were Eleanor's opinions on this subject entertained or rejected outright?
Essay Topic 3
The American public never knew the full extent of Roosevelt's physical limitations in the 1940s. Explain why this would not be possible for a 21st century president due to digital technology and instant news media.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)