|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which people were kept in internment camps in America during the war?
2. To whom does Eleanor give a tour of the White House?
3. With whom did Roosevelt meet at this conference?
4. What debate becomes important in November of 1944?
5. What did Roosevelt try to arrange before the Congressional election in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roosevelt's new rallying cry at the end of 1943?
2. Explain the role of antisemitism in Americans turning away shiploads of European refugees in 1942?
3. What was the relationship between Franklin and Lucy Mercer after he was President?
4. Explain the GI Bill.
5. Despite the devastation of war, what encouraging things did Eleanor witness when visiting England in the fall of 1942?
6. What do some historians contend about Roosevelt's performance at Yalta in light of his failing health?
7. What became of the Roosevelts' closest companions after the Roosevelt White House years?
8. How did Eleanor come to terms with her husband's infidelities over the years?
9. What is the state of Roosevelt's health during the 1944 campaign and to what extent did the American people know about his health?
10. Explain the role that Anna Roosevelt plays in her parents' lives at the beginning of 1944.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some historians contend that the attack on Pearl Harbor could have been avoided if Roosevelt had entered America into the war in Europe sooner. What is the basis for this line of thinking? What was Roosevelt's reasoning for keeping America out of war for as long as possible? Which approach should he have taken in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
The American public never knew the full extent of Roosevelt's physical limitations in the 1940s. Explain why this would not be possible for a 21st century president due to digital technology and instant news media.
Essay Topic 3
Franklin Roosevelt is remembered as one of America's most beloved presidents. In your opinion, why is Roosevelt remembered so fondly? Explain. Conversely, what were some of his weaknesses as President?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)