|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roosevelt's opponent's position on a military draft?
2. What is Roosevelt's position regarding the war in Europe in May of 1940?
3. How old is Franklin D. Roosevelt at the beginning of the book?
4. What college did Roosevelt attend after boarding school?
5. What does Roosevelt do for Missy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the roots of the Lend-Lease Program proposed by Roosevelt.
2. What was the nature of Roosevelt's childhood?
3. In what way does Eleanor find some purpose in her life mid-1940?
4. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's position on war?
5. What was the evolution of the relationship between Eleanor and Lorena?
6. What was "the miracle of Dunkirk?"
7. What was the state of Franklin and Eleanor's marriage in 1940?
8. What is one perspective of historians regarding the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?
9. Name Roosevelt's "Four Essential Freedoms" as outlined in a State of the Union address.
10. What was the nature of Eleanor's relationship with her children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reports began to emerge from Europe regarding the extermination of European Jews by the Nazis, yet Jewish refugees were turned away from American shores. Why was there such an anti-Semitic philosophy rampant in America at this time? Why were major American intellectual and relief organizations not moved to help in this area?
Essay Topic 2
Some historians contend that the attack on Pearl Harbor could have been avoided if Roosevelt had entered America into the war in Europe sooner. What is the basis for this line of thinking? What was Roosevelt's reasoning for keeping America out of war for as long as possible? Which approach should he have taken in your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Franklin Roosevelt was very popular for his fireside chats which forged a bond with him and the American people. Explain how Roosevelt was able to capitalize on the technology of the day to create these innovative programs. How has technology changed in the 60+ years since Roosevelt's presidency? What is President Obama's version of a fireside chat using current technology?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)