|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Roosevelt do on May 26, 1940, for which he will be remembered?
2. In what area does the issue of racial discrimination emerge?
3. Who was Eleanor's mother?
4. What does Churchill write to Roosevelt in November of 1940?
5. To which of her children did Eleanor become closest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of Eleanor's relationship with her children?
2. What happened in the aftermath of Sara Roosevelt's death in September 1941?
3. Explain the challenges and circumstances facing Roosevelt in the matter of reinstating a military draft in 1940.
4. What was the nature of Eleanor's childhood?
5. What is one perspective of historians regarding the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?
6. Name Roosevelt's "Four Essential Freedoms" as outlined in a State of the Union address.
7. What is notable about Roosevelt and Churchill's first meeting?
8. Explain Roosevelt's difficult position about entering the war.
9. Explain the rationing of goods in America during World War II.
10. Who was Missy LeHand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some historians contend that the attack on Pearl Harbor could have been avoided if Roosevelt had entered America into the war in Europe sooner. What is the basis for this line of thinking? What was Roosevelt's reasoning for keeping America out of war for as long as possible? Which approach should he have taken in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eleanor's childhood. What were her parents like? What advantages did she have as a child of privilege? What personality traits or behaviors did she learn that would serve her well in her life and career?
Essay Topic 3
The Lend-Lease program was one of Roosevelt's ingenious solutions to a difficult problem. In what other ways did Roosevelt show creativity in governing the country? In his personal life? Explain.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)