|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many years had Franklin D. Roosevelt been President of the United States at the beginning of the book?
2. Who did Roosevelt denounce for joining forces with Germany?
3. What role does Eleanor take on after Franklin's illness?
(a) Legal counselor
(b) Business partner
4. What news does Roosevelt learn on May 9, 1940?
(a) His son is ill
(b) His mother is coming for a visit
(c) His wife wants a divorce
(d) Hitler has attacked five European countries
5. What happens within one week of the event of December 7, 1941?
(a) Franklin's mother's funeral is held
(b) Eleanor moves out of the White House
(c) Eleanor and Franklin reconcile
(d) The U.S. declares war on Japan, Germany and Italy
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lorene provide to Eleanor?
2. Why are American Catholics opposed to helping the answer to #82 defend itself against Germany?
3. In what public issue does Eleanor find herself immersed in September of 1940?
4. What country does the German army invade in June of 1941?
5. How did the Allied troops escape to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was James Doolittle?
2. What were the political implications of Roosevelt's running for a third term as president?
3. How did Roosevelt help the American people understand what was going on in the war?
4. In what way does Eleanor find some purpose in her life mid-1940?
5. What is Eleanor's heritage?
6. What is notable about Roosevelt and Churchill's first meeting?
7. Name Roosevelt's "Four Essential Freedoms" as outlined in a State of the Union address.
8. Explain the roots of the Lend-Lease Program proposed by Roosevelt.
9. What was a fireside chat?
10. Explain the challenges and circumstances facing Roosevelt in the matter of reinstating a military draft in 1940.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)