|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter focuses on Franklin's ______________________________.
(a) Diagnosis of polio
(b) Yachting trips
(c) Nomination for a third term as President
(d) Trips to Warm Springs
2. How did Roosevelt help businesses prepare for war?
(a) They could defer tax payments for one year
(b) They received stimulus loans
(c) They could amortize capital expenses
(d) They received huge tax cuts
3. Who replaces Neville Chamberlain as Prime Minister of Great Britain?
(a) Tony Blair
(b) Prince Charles
(c) Winston Churchill
(d) Cordell Hull
4. What happened to change the nature of Eleanor and Franklin's marriage?
(a) She fell in love with another man
(b) He never remembered their anniversary
(c) He had an affair with her social secretary
(d) Franklin's mother broke up the marriage
5. At what age did Roosevelt leave for boarding school?
6. What were Germany, Italy and Japan referred to during the war?
(a) Triumvirate of Evil
(b) The Axis of Evil
(c) Axis Powers
(d) Really Bad Guys
7. What was the Arcadia Conference?
(a) The beginning of the United Nations
(b) The declaration of war against Germany
(c) Roosevelt and Churchill's plan to deal with Germany first
(d) The foundation of the League of Nations
8. Where does Eleanor go to work during this period?
(a) The Environmental Agency
(b) The Office of Civilian Defense
(c) The NAACP
(d) The League of Women Voters
9. Who was Lorene Hickok?
(a) Franklin's personal secretary
(b) Eleanor's social secretary
(c) A newswoman and close friend of Eleanor's
(d) The Roosevelt children's governess
10. What type of childhood did Eleanor have?
11. What famous speech did Franklin make on December 8, 1941?
(a) The "Day of Infamy" speech
(b) The "Time for Thanksgiving" speech
(c) The "Home is Where the Heart Is" speech
(d) The "Give 'em Hell" speech
12. What was Eleanor's relation to Theodore Roosevelt?
(a) His sister-in-law
(b) His sister
(c) His niece
(d) His daughter
13. What was Roosevelt's opponent's position on a military draft?
(a) He favored it
(b) He favored it with limitations
(c) He opposed it
(d) He had no opinion on it
14. What did Roosevelt ask Americans to buy prior to his fireside chat of February 23, 1942?
(a) War bonds
15. Where was the New York City apartment maintained by Eleanor Roosevelt?
(a) Greenwich Village
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area were the Germans ahead of the Allies?
2. How is the Roosevelts' marriage described?
3. What city did the Germans capture on June 14, 1940?
4. Who is Harry Hopkins?
5. What unpopular law did Roosevelt need to reinstate during the Summer of 1940?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)