|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eleanor go to work during this period?
(a) The Environmental Agency
(b) The Office of Civilian Defense
(c) The NAACP
(d) The League of Women Voters
2. What does Churchill write to Roosevelt in November of 1940?
(a) The British army was going to surrender
(b) The King had died
(c) The British government needed money
(d) The British navy was larger than ever
3. What is Eleanor Roosevelt's opinion on money spent on war?
(a) It should be increased to meet the escalating need
(b) It could be put to better use to help people in need
(c) It is a necessary evil
(d) There should be a cap on it
4. What is Roosevelt's position regarding the war in Europe in May of 1940?
(a) He wants to remain neutral
(b) He will not get involved under any circumstances
(c) He has ordered the deployment of troops
(d) He wants to help the Allies but knows it will not be a popular decision
5. With whom do the Roosevelts spend Christmas of 1941?
(a) The Churchills
(b) Teddy Roosevelt
(c) Queen Elizabeth
(d) Missy LeHand
6. What was Roosevelt's opponent's position on a military draft?
(a) He favored it with limitations
(b) He favored it
(c) He opposed it
(d) He had no opinion on it
7. What role does Eleanor take on after Franklin's illness?
(c) Business partner
(d) Legal counselor
8. Who is Harry Hopkins?
(a) Franklin's political advisor
(b) Franklin's tailor
(c) Franklin's valet
(d) Franklin's best friend
9. In Roosevelt's January 1941 State of the Union address, he names ____________________________.
(a) A new Secretary of State
(b) Four essential freedoms
(c) His new running mate
(d) His successor in the Democratic Party
10. Which pilot led a daring raid on Japan?
(a) James Doolittle
(b) The Red Baron
(c) Audie Murphy
(d) Charles Lindbergh
11. What was Eleanor's personality as she became an adult?
(a) Outgoing and boisterous
(b) Depressed and insecure
(c) Reserved and shy
(d) Sullen and surly
12. What news does Roosevelt learn on May 9, 1940?
(a) His wife wants a divorce
(b) Hitler has attacked five European countries
(c) His son is ill
(d) His mother is coming for a visit
13. What did average Americans collect to help the war effort?
(c) Scrap metal
14. This chapter focuses on Franklin's ______________________________.
(a) Diagnosis of polio
(b) Yachting trips
(c) Nomination for a third term as President
(d) Trips to Warm Springs
15. Who was Roosevelt's opponent in the presidential race in 1940?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower
(b) Wendell Wilkie
(c) William Howard Taft
(d) Herbert Hoover
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roosevelt do for Missy?
2. Who does Franklin make a trip to see in Warm Springs, Georgia?
3. Who was the U.S. Ambassador to England in 1941?
4. At what age did Roosevelt leave for boarding school?
5. With whom was Roosevelt a confident related to the war in Europe?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)