|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the idea of finding work represent for Ichiro?
2. Who does Freddie fight with before they arrive at the Club Oriental?
3. Who is Ichiro going to work with at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
4. Who does Freddie kick during the fight in the alley before running to his car?
5. When is Ichiro going to start his new job in Portland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
2. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
3. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
4. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
5. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
6. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
7. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
8. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
9. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
10. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Ichiro's mother never wanted to introduce American customs to her family? Why was she adamant about maintaining only Japanese traditions in the household? How does her attitude toward America contribute to her unwillingness to believe Japan has lost the war?
Essay Topic 2
Is Ichiro the protagonist or antagonist in the novel? Could he be considered a hero or a villian? Explain your answers by citing examples and reasons why he is one or the other.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how other characters influenced Ichiro throughout the book. Use specific examples of how at least three different characters influenced Ichiro in either a positive or negative manner. Give examples.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)