|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kenji go before picking up Ichiro at the grocery store?
2. Who does Kenji blame for the problems he has had since going into the army?
3. Why does it take Kenji so many hours to pick Ichiro up at the grocery store before they leave for Portland?
4. Where did Ichiro's mother fail most?
5. What is good about the church Tommy eventually goes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
2. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
3. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
4. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
5. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
6. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
7. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
8. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
9. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
10. Describe Kenji's father's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the discrimination against blacks and Japanese-Americans throughout the book. Give examples. What were some parallels in the way the two minority groups were treated? How did they treat one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is a "no-no" boy and explain why you think the term was needed to be coined in the first place? Which characters in the novel could be described as no-no boys? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you had to chose between going to prison, fighting in a war you didn't believe in, or going to a relocation camp? Would your decision change if you didn't have any family? What sorts of things would you consider while making your decision?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)