|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Ichiro do for the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. Who is Ichiro going to work with at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
3. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
4. What negative aspect of Tommy's new church does he overlook?
5. What happens when Tommy and Ichiro go to church together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
2. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
3. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
4. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
5. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
6. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
7. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
8. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
9. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
10. Describe Kenji's father's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the discrimination against blacks and Japanese-Americans throughout the book. Give examples. What were some parallels in the way the two minority groups were treated? How did they treat one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how pain is used as a theme throughout the book. Which characters are moved and motivated by pain? What kind of pain are they suffering? How do they relate to each other?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)