|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
2. What man is balding with unsympathetic, dark eyes?
3. What commotion at the door at Club Oriental distracts Kenji as he is sitting down to relax?
4. What happens when Ichiro pulls up to the grocery store in the Oldsmobile following his trip home from Portland?
5. Who jumps in to save Freddie in the fight in front of Club Oriental near the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
2. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
3. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
4. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
5. Describe Kenji's father's house.
6. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
7. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
8. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
9. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
10. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Ichiro will be a happy man someday? Answer these questions in your response:
1) What will it take for him to be happy?
2) What will it take for him to get over his past?
3) Who is responsible for his happiness?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)