|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tommy?
2. Why does Mr. Carrick offer Ichiro a job?
3. What happens to Freddie as he and Ichiro enter Club Oriental together near the end of the book?
4. When did everything change in his marriage, according to Ichiro's father?
5. What old friend does Ichiro see again at his mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
3. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
4. How does Freddie die?
5. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
6. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
7. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
8. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
9. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
10. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use alcohol and drinking throughout the book? How does it make the characters look and behave?
Essay Topic 2
What is a "no-no" boy and explain why you think the term was needed to be coined in the first place? Which characters in the novel could be described as no-no boys? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how other characters influenced Ichiro throughout the book. Use specific examples of how at least three different characters influenced Ichiro in either a positive or negative manner. Give examples.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)