|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kenji's father live?
2. Who does Kenji want Ichiro to visit back in Seattle?
3. What happens when Tommy and Ichiro go to church together?
4. What will Ichiro do for the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. What is good about the church Tommy eventually goes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
2. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
3. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
4. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
5. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
6. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
7. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
8. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
9. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
10. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how other characters influenced Ichiro throughout the book. Use specific examples of how at least three different characters influenced Ichiro in either a positive or negative manner. Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)