|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ichiro's father when Ichiro gets home from returning Kenji's car?
2. What does Ichiro tell the Japanese boy waiting on him at the cafe?
3. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
4. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabiliation Center?
5. What is wrong with the voice of the priest who is conducting the ceremony at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Kenji being an injured decorated war veteran was so important to the novel. Why was his injury and pain such an important component in his character makeup? What would have changed throughout the novel had he been happy, healthy, and a celebrated solider?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What does Emi represent to Ichiro? Is she a positive or negative influence on him? Please support your answer with specific examples from the book.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)