|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichiro learn from Kenji's father?
2. After a great family meal together, what do Kenji and his family watch on television?
3. What man is balding with unsympathetic, dark eyes?
4. This is the best way to describe the book's ending:
5. What is Kenji ticketed for by the police officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
2. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
3. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
4. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
5. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
6. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
7. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
8. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
9. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
10. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Ichiro will be a happy man someday? Answer these questions in your response:
1) What will it take for him to be happy?
2) What will it take for him to get over his past?
3) Who is responsible for his happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons why Ichiro did not sign up to fight against Japan. Give examples and reasons for his decision. Explain whether Ichiro believes he made the right decision.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the discrimination against blacks and Japanese-Americans throughout the book. Give examples. What were some parallels in the way the two minority groups were treated? How did they treat one another? Why?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)