|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What commotion at the door at Club Oriental distracts Kenji as he is sitting down to relax?
2. What happens when Tommy and Ichiro go to church together?
3. What new items does Kenji's father have in the house when Ichiro visits for the first time?
4. What will Ichiro do for the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
2. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
3. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
4. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
5. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
6. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
7. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
8. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
9. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
10. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how pain is used as a theme throughout the book. Which characters are moved and motivated by pain? What kind of pain are they suffering? How do they relate to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how other characters influenced Ichiro throughout the book. Use specific examples of how at least three different characters influenced Ichiro in either a positive or negative manner. Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief when his wife drowns herself in the bathtub? Give at least three reasons to explain your answer.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)