|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Ichiro do for the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. Who does Freddie fight with before they arrive at the Club Oriental?
3. What man is balding with unsympathetic, dark eyes?
4. Who does Freddie kick during the fight in the alley before running to his car?
5. What do we learn from Kenji about Emi and her feelings about Ralph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
2. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
3. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
4. How does Freddie die?
5. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
6. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
7. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
8. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
9. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
10. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what it was like to be a Japanese-American following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Include details about how other groups (whites, blacks, for example) reacted to Japanese-Americans, what options Japanese-Americans had, and how the war affected them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail at least three reasons why Ichiro's father drank so heavily. Give an alternative solution for those three reasons.
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you had to chose between going to prison, fighting in a war you didn't believe in, or going to a relocation camp? Would your decision change if you didn't have any family? What sorts of things would you consider while making your decision?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)