|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ichiro pulls up to the grocery store in the Oldsmobile following his trip home from Portland?
2. Who arranged the marriage between Ichiro's parents?
3. What happens to Freddie after he runs away from the fight in the alley?
4. Where did Ichiro's mother fail most?
5. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to take the car back to Seattle by himself?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you had to chose between going to prison, fighting in a war you didn't believe in, or going to a relocation camp? Would your decision change if you didn't have any family? What sorts of things would you consider while making your decision?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)