|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Ichiro going to start his new job in Portland?
2. What happens when Ichiro's fist connects with someone's face, right between the eyes, as he is fighting in the alley?
3. Where does Ichiro decide he wants to go with Emi?
4. Who arranged the marriage between Ichiro's parents?
5. What happens when Ichiro shakes his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
3. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
4. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
5. How does Freddie die?
6. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
7. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
8. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
9. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
10. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail at least three reasons why Ichiro's father drank so heavily. Give an alternative solution for those three reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast who was the bigger coward: Ichiro or Taro. Be sure to define "coward" in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)