|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many customers are in the Burnside Cafe when Ichiro walks through the door?
2. What does Ichiro tell the Japanese boy waiting on him at the cafe?
3. How does the Japanese boy's mother greet Ichiro when serving his ham and eggs?
4. What is Ichiro finally starting to learn about people as he gets a new job?
5. What is wrong with the voice of the priest who is conducting the ceremony at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what it was like to be a Japanese-American following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Include details about how other groups (whites, blacks, for example) reacted to Japanese-Americans, what options Japanese-Americans had, and how the war affected them.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief when his wife drowns herself in the bathtub? Give at least three reasons to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ichiro relate more to Americans or Japanese? Give at least three examples to explain your answer.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)