|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What commotion at the door at Club Oriental distracts Kenji as he is sitting down to relax?
2. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
3. Who does Freddie fight with before they arrive at the Club Oriental?
4. Who is Tommy?
5. What does Freddie want Ichiro to do with him at after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
2. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
3. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
4. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
5. Describe Kenji's father's house.
6. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
7. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
8. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
9. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
10. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you have done if you had to chose between going to prison, fighting in a war you didn't believe in, or going to a relocation camp? Would your decision change if you didn't have any family? What sorts of things would you consider while making your decision?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons why Ichiro did not sign up to fight against Japan. Give examples and reasons for his decision. Explain whether Ichiro believes he made the right decision.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)