|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
2. What does Ichiro learn from Kenji's father?
3. Why does Kenji tell only his father that he is leaving?
4. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
5. What happens when Freddie loses control of the car near the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
2. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
3. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
4. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
5. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
6. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
7. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
8. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
9. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
10. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the discrimination against blacks and Japanese-Americans throughout the book. Give examples. What were some parallels in the way the two minority groups were treated? How did they treat one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Does Ichiro relate more to Americans or Japanese? Give at least three examples to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Kenji being an injured decorated war veteran was so important to the novel. Why was his injury and pain such an important component in his character makeup? What would have changed throughout the novel had he been happy, healthy, and a celebrated solider?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)