|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ichiro apply for a job in Portland?
2. Why does Mr. Carrick offer Ichiro a job?
3. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to take the car back to Seattle by himself?
4. Why does Ichiro's father take the death of his wife so calmly?
5. What is Kenji ticketed for by the police officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
2. How does Freddie die?
3. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
4. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
5. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
6. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
7. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
8. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
9. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
10. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you have done if you had to chose between going to prison, fighting in a war you didn't believe in, or going to a relocation camp? Would your decision change if you didn't have any family? What sorts of things would you consider while making your decision?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use alcohol and drinking throughout the book? How does it make the characters look and behave?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how other characters influenced Ichiro throughout the book. Use specific examples of how at least three different characters influenced Ichiro in either a positive or negative manner. Give examples.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)