|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What presents does Kenji give to his father?
2. Where does Ichiro apply for a job in Portland?
3. Why does Kenji tell only his father that he is leaving?
4. Why is Tommy unhappy when he and Ichiro go to church?
5. Who does Ichiro give Kenji's car to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kenji's father's house.
2. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
3. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
4. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
5. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
6. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
7. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
8. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
9. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
10. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Ichiro's mother never wanted to introduce American customs to her family? Why was she adamant about maintaining only Japanese traditions in the household? How does her attitude toward America contribute to her unwillingness to believe Japan has lost the war?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)