|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ichiro's mother die?
2. Who is Ichiro going to work with at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
3. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabiliation Center?
4. Who jumps in to save Freddie in the fight in front of Club Oriental near the end of the book?
5. Where is Ichiro's father when Ichiro gets home from returning Kenji's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
2. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
3. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
4. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
5. Describe Kenji's father's house.
6. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
7. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
8. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
9. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
10. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Ichiro will be a happy man someday? Answer these questions in your response:
1) What will it take for him to be happy?
2) What will it take for him to get over his past?
3) Who is responsible for his happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons why Ichiro did not sign up to fight against Japan. Give examples and reasons for his decision. Explain whether Ichiro believes he made the right decision.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what it was like to be a Japanese-American following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Include details about how other groups (whites, blacks, for example) reacted to Japanese-Americans, what options Japanese-Americans had, and how the war affected them.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)