|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ichiro's father when Ichiro gets home from returning Kenji's car?
2. What do the funeral and Ichiro's mother's life have in common?
3. Who is Ichiro fighting in the alley?
4. Who does Kenji blame for the problems he has had since going into the army?
5. What is Ichiro finally starting to learn about people as he gets a new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
2. Describe Kenji's father's house.
3. How does Freddie die?
4. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
5. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
6. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
7. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
8. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
9. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
10. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What would you have done if you had to chose between going to prison, fighting in a war you didn't believe in, or going to a relocation camp? Would your decision change if you didn't have any family? What sorts of things would you consider while making your decision?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)