|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Freddie loses control of the car near the end of the novel?
2. What old friend does Ichiro see again at his mother's funeral?
3. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so much the day Ichiro returns from Portland?
4. What happens when Ichiro shakes his father?
5. What will Ichiro do for the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
2. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
3. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
4. How does Freddie die?
5. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
6. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
7. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
8. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
9. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
10. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief when his wife drowns herself in the bathtub? Give at least three reasons to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Is Ichiro the protagonist or antagonist in the novel? Could he be considered a hero or a villian? Explain your answers by citing examples and reasons why he is one or the other.
Essay Topic 3
What does Emi represent to Ichiro? Is she a positive or negative influence on him? Please support your answer with specific examples from the book.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)