|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ichiro's flashback about?
2. What does Freddie want Ichiro to do with him at after the funeral?
3. What happens when Ichiro shakes his father?
4. Where does Kenji go before picking up Ichiro at the grocery store?
5. Who is Ichiro fighting in the alley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
3. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
4. How does Freddie die?
5. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
6. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
7. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
8. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
9. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
10. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use alcohol and drinking throughout the book? How does it make the characters look and behave?
Essay Topic 2
What does Emi represent to Ichiro? Is she a positive or negative influence on him? Please support your answer with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)