|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stabbed Ito?
2. Who gets a drink for Bull as he sits slumped up against a trash can to recover?
3. Why does Mr. Carrick offer Ichiro a job?
4. What happens when Ichiro's fist connects with someone's face, right between the eyes, as he is fighting in the alley?
5. What new items does Kenji's father have in the house when Ichiro visits for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
3. Describe Kenji's father's house.
4. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
5. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
6. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
7. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
8. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
9. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
10. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What does Emi represent to Ichiro? Is she a positive or negative influence on him? Please support your answer with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what it was like to be a Japanese-American following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Include details about how other groups (whites, blacks, for example) reacted to Japanese-Americans, what options Japanese-Americans had, and how the war affected them.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)