|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
2. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
3. Who does Kenji blame for the problems he has had since going into the army?
4. What happens to Freddie as he and Ichiro enter Club Oriental together near the end of the book?
5. What does the idea of finding work represent for Ichiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
2. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
3. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
4. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
5. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
6. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
7. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
8. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
9. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
10. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what it was like to be a Japanese-American following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Include details about how other groups (whites, blacks, for example) reacted to Japanese-Americans, what options Japanese-Americans had, and how the war affected them.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the discrimination against blacks and Japanese-Americans throughout the book. Give examples. What were some parallels in the way the two minority groups were treated? How did they treat one another? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reasons why Ichiro did not sign up to fight against Japan. Give examples and reasons for his decision. Explain whether Ichiro believes he made the right decision.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)