|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets a drink for Bull as he sits slumped up against a trash can to recover?
2. Who is Ichiro fighting in the alley?
3. Who stabbed Ito?
4. What does the idea of finding work represent for Ichiro?
5. Why does Kenji want to write Ralph a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
2. How does Freddie die?
3. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
4. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
6. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
7. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
8. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
9. Describe Kenji's father's house.
10. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Ichiro the protagonist or antagonist in the novel? Could he be considered a hero or a villian? Explain your answers by citing examples and reasons why he is one or the other.
Essay Topic 2
What is a "no-no" boy and explain why you think the term was needed to be coined in the first place? Which characters in the novel could be described as no-no boys? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the discrimination against blacks and Japanese-Americans throughout the book. Give examples. What were some parallels in the way the two minority groups were treated? How did they treat one another? Why?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)