|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is the best way to describe the book's ending:
2. What happens to Freddie after he runs away from the fight in the alley?
3. How much whiskey does Ichiro's father drink just before Ichiro returns from Portland?
4. What does Ichiro tell Mr. Morrison, the man in charge of the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. How many customers are in the Burnside Cafe when Ichiro walks through the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
2. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
3. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
4. How does Freddie die?
5. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
6. Describe Kenji's father's house.
7. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
8. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
9. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
10. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use alcohol and drinking throughout the book? How does it make the characters look and behave?
Essay Topic 2
Is Ichiro the protagonist or antagonist in the novel? Could he be considered a hero or a villian? Explain your answers by citing examples and reasons why he is one or the other.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Ichiro will be a happy man someday? Answer these questions in your response:
1) What will it take for him to be happy?
2) What will it take for him to get over his past?
3) Who is responsible for his happiness?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)