|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabiliation Center?
2. Kenji drinks quickly while his father:
3. Where does Ichiro apply for a job in Portland?
4. What does Freddie want Ichiro to do with him at after the funeral?
5. What do we learn from Kenji about Emi and her feelings about Ralph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does finding a job represent to Ichiro?
2. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
3. Describe Kenji's father's house.
4. How does Freddie die?
5. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
6. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
7. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
8. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
9. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
10. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail at least three reasons why Ichiro's father drank so heavily. Give an alternative solution for those three reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what it was like to be a Japanese-American following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Include details about how other groups (whites, blacks, for example) reacted to Japanese-Americans, what options Japanese-Americans had, and how the war affected them.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)