|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
2. Why does Kenji tell only his father that he is leaving?
3. What does Ichiro tell Mr. Morrison, the man in charge of the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
4. Who is Ichiro going to work with at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. Why does Mr. Carrick offer Ichiro a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
2. Describe Kenji's father's house.
3. What does the violent ending provide Ichiro?
4. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
5. How does Freddie die?
6. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to go back to Seattle without him?
7. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
8. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
9. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
10. What makes Kenji's family different from Ichiro's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail at least three reasons why Ichiro's father drank so heavily. Give an alternative solution for those three reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
Essay Topic 3
Is Ichiro the protagonist or antagonist in the novel? Could he be considered a hero or a villian? Explain your answers by citing examples and reasons why he is one or the other.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)