|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ichiro so angry before he leaves for Portland?
2. Who is portrayed as a coward with great hatred for Ichiro in Chapter 4?
3. Why doesn't Ichiro respect his parents?
4. What country does Ichiro believe has changed his life in the most negative way?
5. Who sent a letter to Ichiro's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro call his mother crazy in Chapter 2?
2. Who attacks Ichiro outside of Club Oriental?
3. What makes Kenji and Ichiro such close friends?
4. Why does Bull first ignore, and then make fun of Ichiro?
5. Who sends the letter to Ichiro's mother and what does it say?
6. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
7. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
8. Why was the bombing at Pearl Harbor such a dramatic event in U.S. military history?
9. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
10. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Kenji being an injured decorated war veteran was so important to the novel. Why was his injury and pain such an important component in his character makeup? What would have changed throughout the novel had he been happy, healthy, and a celebrated solider?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how bitterness is a continuing theme throughout the novel. In what way is Ichiro bitter? Are other characters affected by bitterness? Are there any solutions to the bitter attitudes displayed by the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast who was the bigger coward: Ichiro or Taro. Be sure to define "coward" in your essay.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)