|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Freddie and Ichiro looking for to make them feel more at peace with themselves as they try to adjust to life back home?
2. Ichiro is imprisoned for two years because:
3. Where is Emi's husband, Ralph?
4. Where is Ichiro's brother, Taro, going to school?
5. What country was Ichiro born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
3. Who is Emi and why is she so important to Ichiro?
4. What makes Kenji and Ichiro such close friends?
5. What did Ichiro's parents want to do before moving back to Japan?
6. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
7. Describe Ichiro's family and their attitude toward each other.
8. What was the American attitude toward Japanese after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
9. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
10. Why does Ichiro believe he is a true American citizen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Kenji and Ichiro answering ALL THREE of these questions:
1) What makes Kenji and Ichiro similar?
2) What makes Kenji and Ichiro different?
3) Who is in more pain and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ichiro's family with Kenji's family. What are the major similarities and differences? How does Ichiro's decision not to go to war and Kenji's decision go to war play into the differences in the families? Explain the influence each family was to Ichiro and Kenji.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use alcohol and drinking throughout the book? How does it make the characters look and behave?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)