|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Kenji and Ichiro becoming better friends?
2. Why did Ichiro's father move to the United States?
3. Soldiers are returning from what war?
4. What makes Ichiro realize he is a true American citizen?
5. Where is Ichiro's brother, Taro, going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
2. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
3. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
4. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
5. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
6. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
7. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
8. Why does Kenji walk with a cane?
9. Why do characters like Ichiro and Freddie feel guilt?
10. Why was the bombing at Pearl Harbor such a dramatic event in U.S. military history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use alcohol and drinking throughout the book? How does it make the characters look and behave?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons why Ichiro did not sign up to fight against Japan. Give examples and reasons for his decision. Explain whether Ichiro believes he made the right decision.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Ichiro will be a happy man someday? Answer these questions in your response:
1) What will it take for him to be happy?
2) What will it take for him to get over his past?
3) Who is responsible for his happiness?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)