|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ichiro and his family go to visit other families when he returns home. How do they know these families?
2. Most Japanese on the West Coast had three options: go to jail, enlist in the draft, or enter:
3. Ichiro is imprisoned for two years because:
4. Who does Ichiro call a fool for wanting to enlist in the U.S. Army?
5. After December 7, 1941 many Americans felt this way about Japanese people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who yells at Ichiro as he walks past the pool hall in the beginning of the novel and why?
2. Describe Ichiro's family and their attitude toward each other.
3. What was the American attitude toward Japanese after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
4. Why is Ichiro searching for acceptance in the very country in which he was born?
5. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
6. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
7. Describe Chinatown.
8. Describe Club Oriental and what it has to offer.
9. Who sends the letter to Ichiro's mother and what does it say?
10. How does Ichiro's father get him to leave the house after Ichiro fought with his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons why Ichiro did not sign up to fight against Japan. Give examples and reasons for his decision. Explain whether Ichiro believes he made the right decision.
Essay Topic 2
Is Ichiro the protagonist or antagonist in the novel? Could he be considered a hero or a villian? Explain your answers by citing examples and reasons why he is one or the other.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail at least three reasons why Ichiro's father drank so heavily. Give an alternative solution for those three reasons.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)