|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What man is balding with unsympathetic, dark eyes?
(b) Ichiro's father.
(c) The college professor.
(d) The priest.
2. What was Ichiro's flashback about?
(a) He remembers his father trying to teach him how to run the grocery store just before he went off to prison.
(b) He remembers a man who didn't like being discriminated against, but wouldn't stand up for a Black man getting the same treatment.
(c) He remembers his mother trying to teach him American customs when he was just a small boy.
(d) He remembers a professor teaching him about engineering.
3. What does Ichiro tell the Japanese boy waiting on him at the cafe?
(a) That he is American.
(b) That he is unemployed.
(c) That he is homeless.
(d) That he is Chinese.
4. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
(a) Emi is in love with Ralph.
(b) Ralph has re-enlisted in the army.
(c) Emi wants to have children with Ralph.
(d) Emi and Ralph are getting a divorce.
5. Who is Ichiro fighting in the alley?
(a) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Freddie after he runs away from the fight in the alley?
2. Why does Kenji want to write Ralph a letter?
3. What is Ichiro's father's mood on the day of Ichiro's mother's funeral?
4. Who is Ichiro going to work with at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. What do the funeral and Ichiro's mother's life have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
2. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
3. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
4. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
5. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
6. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
7. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
8. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
9. Describe Kenji's father's house.
10. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)