|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
(a) She always wanted to move back to Japan.
(b) She didn't like working in the grocery store.
(c) She tried to make life pleasant for him.
(d) She never wanted Ichiro to be happy.
2. How much whiskey does Ichiro's father drink just before Ichiro returns from Portland?
(a) Enough to throw up.
(b) Enough to make him pass out.
(c) He doesn't drink whiskey.
(d) He had two glasses.
3. Who gets a drink for Bull as he sits slumped up against a trash can to recover?
(c) A stranger.
4. Who stabbed Ito?
(b) Ichiro's father.
5. What does Ichiro tell the Japanese boy waiting on him at the cafe?
(a) That he is unemployed.
(b) That he is American.
(c) That he is Chinese.
(d) That he is homeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What negative aspect of Tommy's new church does he overlook?
2. What man is balding with unsympathetic, dark eyes?
3. How does the Japanese boy's mother greet Ichiro when serving his ham and eggs?
4. Who jumps in to save Freddie in the fight in front of Club Oriental near the end of the book?
5. Where does Ichiro apply for a job in Portland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
2. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
3. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
4. What does Kenji bring as a present for his father and why?
5. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
6. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
7. What does Ichiro's behavior to the Japanese waiter at the Burnside Cafe symbolize?
8. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
9. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
10. How does Freddie die?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)