|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write Ralph a letter?
(a) To ask him if he wants to buy the Oldsmobile.
(b) To tell him that he is dying.
(c) To tell Ralph that the U.S. has won the war.
(d) To tell him that Ichiro and Emi get along well.
2. Who does Freddie kick during the fight in the alley before running to his car?
(d) A stranger.
3. What negative aspect of Tommy's new church does he overlook?
(a) They do not allow Black people to attend.
(b) They do not allow women to attend.
(c) They d0 not allow war veterans to attend.
(d) They do not allow Ichiro to attend.
4. Where does Ichiro decide he wants to go with Emi?
(a) Emi's house.
(b) Kenji's father's house.
(d) A quiet place to mourn his mother.
5. Who stabbed Ito?
(a) Ichiro's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
2. What happens when Freddie loses control of the car near the end of the novel?
3. What does Freddie want Ichiro to do with him at after the funeral?
4. Where does Kenji go before picking up Ichiro at the grocery store?
5. What commotion at the door at Club Oriental distracts Kenji as he is sitting down to relax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
2. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
3. What does Ichiro finally start to understand about his past after taking the job at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
4. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
5. What is Ichiro's father so impressed with at Ichiro's mother's funeral?
6. What news does Emi share with Ichiro after his mother's funeral?
7. What is the turning point in Ichiro's parent's marriage?
8. How does Freddie die?
9. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
10. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so heavily?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)