|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ichiro searching for when he returns home?
(a) His parents.
(b) His dog.
(c) A way to join the army.
(d) Acceptance in his own country.
2. Who sent a letter to Ichiro's mother?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
3. Why does Kenji want to go to Portland?
(a) To sign up for classes at the college.
(b) To visit family he has not seen in many years.
(c) To find Emi's husband.
(d) To visit the V.A. Hospital because his leg hurts.
4. How can Ichiro relate to Kenji's pain?
(a) They both have headaches.
(b) They both suffer leg pain.
(c) Kenji feels he has two years before his body is rotten; Ichiro feels he lost his own life two years ago in prison.
(d) They have both considered suicide.
5. Why is Ichiro so angry before he leaves for Portland?
(a) He can't find a job.
(b) He is fighting with Kenji.
(c) He is consumed with bitterness over the past.
(d) He wants to marry Emi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the negroes in the pool hall tell Ichiro to do?
2. Why doesn't Ichiro respect his parents?
3. Why does Freddie like the woman across the hall so much?
4. The "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to do what?
5. Who does Ichiro visit on campus after taking a bus ride to the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Freddie been before he recently returned home five weeks ago?
2. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
3. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
4. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
5. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
6. Who yells at Ichiro as he walks past the pool hall in the beginning of the novel and why?
7. Why does Ichiro want to go to Portland?
8. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
9. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Kenji walk with a cane?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)