|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the young boys surrounding Ichiro start to do to him outside of the gambling hall?
(a) Taunt him and start to take off his clothes.
(b) Taunt him and chase him into the street.
(c) Ask him to go for a ride.
(d) Ask him to join the army.
2. What has Freddie accomplished in the five weeks since his return to the area?
(a) He has enrolled in school.
(b) He has found a job.
(c) He has made new friends.
3. What is Ichiro's father begging Taro to do while he plays solitaire?
(a) Stay in school.
(b) Move to Japan.
(c) Help his mom with dinner.
(d) Enlist in the army.
4. How long was Ito in the U.S. Army?
(a) Six months.
(b) 16 months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six days.
5. Why did Kenji receive the car for free?
(a) His parents gave it to him.
(b) Uncle Sam gave it to him for being a good hospital patient.
(c) It wasn't free, he bought it.
(d) He won it in a raffle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is portrayed as a coward with great hatred for Ichiro in Chapter 4?
2. What was the nickname of the small community where the book takes place?
3. Describe the area where the illegal gambling halls are located:
4. What makes Kenji's car special?
5. How much money does Ichiro's father give him when he tells Ichiro to go visit Freddie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
2. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
3. Where has Freddie been before he recently returned home five weeks ago?
4. Why does Kenji walk with a cane?
5. Why does Bull first ignore, and then make fun of Ichiro?
6. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
7. Describe Ichiro's family and their attitude toward each other.
8. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
9. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
10. What was the American attitude toward Japanese after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)