|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family lives in an apartment that is a mile-and-a-half away from Ichiro's family?
(a) The Kenji family.
(b) The Shinju family.
(c) The Kumasakas family.
(d) The Asida family.
2. Why are Kenji and Ichiro becoming better friends?
(a) They both want to go to Portland.
(b) They both don't like Japan.
(c) They each have deep problems that they do not share, but can relate to.
(d) They both don't like Taro.
3. Where is Emi's husband, Ralph?
(a) He is in prison.
(b) He's hiding with his brother in Japan.
(c) He's in the army.
(d) He is away for a business trip.
4. Ichiro is imprisoned for two years because:
(a) He refused to go to school.
(b) He got in a fight with his boss.
(c) He was caught speeding in a stolen car.
(d) He refused to enlist in the U.S. Army.
5. What nationality does Ichiro identify with most?
(b) None, he feels he has lost his identity.
(c) Japanese, his parents were born in Japan.
(d) American, he was born in the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichiro believe his parents represent?
2. When Ichiro arrives home from spending the night with Emi, who does he argue with?
3. Why did Ichiro's father move to the United States?
4. What is Ichiro's father begging Taro to do while he plays solitaire?
5. What is Ichiro's reaction when Kenji mentions he has considered suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji walk with a cane?
2. Why was the bombing at Pearl Harbor such a dramatic event in U.S. military history?
3. Why is the violent ending to the book so significant?
4. Why does Tommy's memory stand out in Ichiro's mind?
5. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
6. Why does Ichiro's father feel a sense of relief following Ichiro's mother's death?
7. How does Freddie die?
8. What did Ichiro's parents want to do before moving back to Japan?
9. How does Ichiro's father get him to leave the house after Ichiro fought with his mother?
10. How long have Ichiro's parents been in the United States and do they plan on returning to Japan?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)