|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenji want Ichiro to go for a ride with him after the incident outside the gambling hall?
(a) They want to leave before Bull comes outside.
(b) Kenji knows the attackers will be back to hurt Ichiro.
(c) Kenji has a girl he wants Ichiro to meet.
(d) Kenji feels like driving to the country.
2. What might Portland represent to Kenji?
(a) A place to find a job.
(b) A chance to make new friends.
(c) A chance to ease his physical pain.
(d) A chance to drive his new car.
3. How many bedrooms does Ichiro's parent's house have?
4. Why did Kenji receive the car for free?
(a) He won it in a raffle.
(b) His parents gave it to him.
(c) It wasn't free, he bought it.
(d) Uncle Sam gave it to him for being a good hospital patient.
5. What does Ichiro's mother think Japan will look like when they return?
(a) She doesn't want to move back.
(b) She doesn't talk about Japan.
(c) The same as it did 35 years earlier.
(d) Different since it has been bombed by the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ichiro dismissed from the professor's office?
2. Who owns the isolated farmhouse?
3. Why does Kenji want to go to Portland?
4. What is Ichiro's father begging Taro to do while he plays solitaire?
5. Why does Ichiro start to drink faster than Kenji while they are at the gambling parlor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kenji's family do together that night?
2. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
3. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
4. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
5. Why was the bombing at Pearl Harbor such a dramatic event in U.S. military history?
6. Who attacks Ichiro outside of Club Oriental?
7. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
8. What is one possible reason why Ichiro was offered a job by Mr. Morrison at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
9. Describe Club Oriental and what it has to offer.
10. Why does Kenji walk with a cane?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)