|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ichiro's reaction when Kenji mentions he has considered suicide?
(a) Ichiro is suprised.
(b) Ichiro walks away.
(c) Ichiro thinks Kenji is not being honest.
(d) Ichiro wasn't paying attention.
2. What does Ichiro call his mother when they argue after Ichiro's family visits the neighbors?
3. What does Kenji need to walk?
(a) Someone to lean on.
(b) A cane.
(c) A wheelchair.
(d) A knee brace.
4. What is a "No-No" boy?
(a) A Japanese-American who refused to go to war against the Japanese in WWII.
(b) A boy who doesn't like his parents.
(c) A boy who never says "Yes."
(d) A boy who constantly shakes his head.
5. As he prepares to leave for Portland, Ichiro is trying to get over his past and do what?
(a) Get on with his own life.
(b) Get his driver's license.
(c) Make up with his brother.
(d) Reconnect with his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book takes place in what U.S. city?
2. Who reads the letter sent to Ichiro's mother?
3. Who does Ichiro visit on campus after taking a bus ride to the school?
4. Who is the first conscientious objector we meet in the book?
5. What is Ichiro searching for when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro believe he is a true American citizen?
2. Describe Ichiro's family and their attitude toward each other.
3. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
4. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
5. What is a conscientious objector?
6. Describe Club Oriental and what it has to offer.
7. How long have Ichiro's parents been in the United States and do they plan on returning to Japan?
8. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
9. What did Ichiro's parents want to do before moving back to Japan?
10. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)