|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ichiro call his mother when they argue after Ichiro's family visits the neighbors?
2. As he prepares to leave for Portland, Ichiro is trying to get over his past and do what?
(a) Make up with his brother.
(b) Reconnect with his parents.
(c) Get on with his own life.
(d) Get his driver's license.
3. How can Ichiro relate to Kenji's pain?
(a) They both suffer leg pain.
(b) Kenji feels he has two years before his body is rotten; Ichiro feels he lost his own life two years ago in prison.
(c) They have both considered suicide.
(d) They both have headaches.
4. How long was Ito in the U.S. Army?
(a) 16 months.
(b) Six days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Six weeks.
5. What is the Club Oriental?
(a) A legal gambling hall.
(b) A private club where members can drink and buy alcohol.
(c) A Chinese food restaurant.
(d) A lounge at the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book takes place in what U.S. city?
2. Why do Freddie and Ichiro feel guilty?
3. What makes Kenji's car special?
4. Why does Freddie like the woman across the hall so much?
5. When Ichiro arrives home from spending the night with Emi, who does he argue with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Emi and why is she so important to Ichiro?
3. What did Ichiro's parents want to do before moving back to Japan?
4. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Ichiro call his mother crazy in Chapter 2?
6. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
7. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
8. Why does Ichiro refuse to have a drink with Ito as he walks to his parents' house for the first time in the beginning of the novel?
9. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
10. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)