|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to go to Portland?
(a) To sign up for classes at the college.
(b) To find Emi's husband.
(c) To visit the V.A. Hospital because his leg hurts.
(d) To visit family he has not seen in many years.
2. Where is Emi's husband, Ralph?
(a) He's hiding with his brother in Japan.
(b) He is away for a business trip.
(c) He's in the army.
(d) He is in prison.
3. Why doesn't Ichiro respect his parents?
(a) He thinks they work at the grocery store too much.
(b) He thinks they drink too much.
(c) He thinks they ruined his life.
(d) He thinks they don't love him enough.
4. Why doesn't Bull like Ichiro?
(a) Because Bull doesn't like Kenji.
(b) Because Ichiro is smaller than Bull.
(c) Because Bull likes Taro better than Ichiro.
(d) Because Ichiro is a No-No Boy.
5. Who owns the isolated farmhouse?
(d) No one, it's abandoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soldiers are returning from what war?
2. How many blocks does Ichiro's mother walk to get bread?
3. Who asks Ichiro to go outside of the gambling hall during his first visit there with Kenji?
4. Why doesn't Ichiro think he is a real American?
5. How long ago did Ichiro's father come to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
2. Describe Club Oriental and what it has to offer.
3. Describe Chinatown.
4. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
5. What is a conscientious objector?
6. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
7. Why was the bombing at Pearl Harbor such a dramatic event in U.S. military history?
8. Why does Ichiro refuse to have a drink with Ito as he walks to his parents' house for the first time in the beginning of the novel?
9. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
10. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)