|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kenji need to walk?
(a) Someone to lean on.
(b) A cane.
(c) A knee brace.
(d) A wheelchair.
2. Why does Taro want to join the army?
(a) To make his parents angry.
(b) To move away from home.
(c) To learn how to shoot a rifle.
(d) To ease the shame felt by the family when Ichiro refused to serve.
3. Why did Ichiro refuse to join the military?
(a) He didn't know how to use a rifle.
(b) He thought he was too young to join.
(c) He didn't want to leave his friends.
(d) He was afraid and his mother didn't want him to go.
4. What does Ichiro think was worth fighting in the war for?
(a) His education.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) The United States.
(d) His parents.
5. Most Japanese on the West Coast had three options: go to jail, enlist in the draft, or enter:
(a) An internship.
(c) Relocation Camps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the character "Bull":
2. What does Ichiro call his mother when they argue after Ichiro's family visits the neighbors?
3. Why does Ichiro demand to leave the first house his family visits together?
4. What makes Ichiro realize he is a true American citizen?
5. What is the best way to describe Ichiro's mood in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do characters like Ichiro and Freddie feel guilt?
2. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
3. Who yells at Ichiro as he walks past the pool hall in the beginning of the novel and why?
4. Describe Ichiro's family and their attitude toward each other.
5. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
6. What is a conscientious objector?
7. Why does Ichiro believe he is a true American citizen?
8. How does Ichiro's father get him to leave the house after Ichiro fought with his mother?
9. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
10. Where has Freddie been before he recently returned home five weeks ago?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)