|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Ichiro?
(a) 28 years old.
(b) 25 years old.
(c) 18 years old.
(d) 20 years old.
2. As he prepares to leave for Portland, Ichiro is trying to get over his past and do what?
(a) Get his driver's license.
(b) Make up with his brother.
(c) Reconnect with his parents.
(d) Get on with his own life.
3. What revelation does Ichiro have on the bus about fighting in the war?
(a) He realizes he is against the war.
(b) He realizes he made the right decision by going to prison.
(c) He realizes he was in prison for too long.
(d) He realizes he should have fought for his country.
4. Describe the area where the illegal gambling halls are located:
(a) The streets are clean, and the buildings plain.
(b) The streets are clean, and there aren't very many buildings.
(c) The streets are dirty, but the buildings are new.
(d) The streets are dirty, and the buildings are run-down.
5. What medal was Kenji awarded?
(a) A medal for good behavior.
(b) A medal for heroism.
(c) A commendation medal.
(d) A medal for fighting overseas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichiro's reaction when Kenji mentions he has considered suicide?
2. Why do Freddie and Ichiro feel guilty?
3. Which family lives in an apartment that is a mile-and-a-half away from Ichiro's family?
4. What might Portland represent to Kenji?
5. Who sent a letter to Ichiro's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sends the letter to Ichiro's mother and what does it say?
2. Describe Ichiro's family and their attitude toward each other.
3. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
5. Why does Ichiro believe he is a true American citizen?
6. Why is Ichiro searching for acceptance in the very country in which he was born?
7. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
8. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
9. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
10. Who attacks Ichiro outside of Club Oriental?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)