|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ichiro do to his father when he tries to intervene in the argument between Ichiro and his mother?
(a) Ichiro asks his father for money.
(b) Ichiro strikes him, sending him against the wall.
(c) Ichiro hugs his father.
(d) Ichiro does nothing to his father.
2. What does the letter that Ichiro's mom have say about a ship?
(a) That it will come to bring the Japanese back to Japan to celebrate victory.
(b) That it is coming to bomb the U.S.
(c) That it will bring new weapons for the Japanese soldiers.
(d) That it is a cruise ship, offering free trips.
3. Why does Ichiro start to drink faster than Kenji while they are at the gambling parlor?
(a) He likes the taste of whiskey.
(b) He is bitter toward Bull.
(c) He has never had a drink before.
(d) He wants to hurry up and drink before the club closes.
4. What revelation does Ichiro have on the bus about fighting in the war?
(a) He realizes he is against the war.
(b) He realizes he was in prison for too long.
(c) He realizes he made the right decision by going to prison.
(d) He realizes he should have fought for his country.
5. What nationality does Ichiro identify with most?
(a) American, he was born in the U.S.
(b) Japanese, his parents were born in Japan.
(c) None, he feels he has lost his identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is portrayed as a coward with great hatred for Ichiro in Chapter 4?
2. Ichiro believes that his father is neither a husband, a father, Japanese, NOR:
3. Why do Freddie and Ichiro feel guilty?
4. What does Ichiro's mother think Japan will look like when they return?
5. Ichiro is imprisoned for two years because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do characters like Ichiro and Freddie feel guilt?
2. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
4. What did Ichiro's parents want to do before moving back to Japan?
5. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
6. Who yells at Ichiro as he walks past the pool hall in the beginning of the novel and why?
7. Describe Chinatown.
8. Why does Ichiro believe he is a true American citizen?
9. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
10. Why does Ichiro want to go to Portland?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)