|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to go to Portland?
(a) To find Emi's husband.
(b) To visit family he has not seen in many years.
(c) To visit the V.A. Hospital because his leg hurts.
(d) To sign up for classes at the college.
2. Why isn't Freddie afraid of being caught in the affair with the married woman?
(a) He is a strong fighter.
(b) He is moving soon.
(c) She is planning on getting divorced.
(d) He doesn't care if he's caught.
3. What does the letter that Ichiro's mom have say about a ship?
(a) That it will bring new weapons for the Japanese soldiers.
(b) That it will come to bring the Japanese back to Japan to celebrate victory.
(c) That it is a cruise ship, offering free trips.
(d) That it is coming to bomb the U.S.
4. How many times have they amputated Kenji's leg?
(a) Three times.
(c) They have not amputated his leg yet.
5. Who saves Ichiro from being attacked with a knife?
(b) No one, Ichiro is cut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ichiro's brother, Taro, going to school?
2. What was Ichiro studying in college before he went to prison?
3. What is Emi's advice to Ichiro?
4. What is a conscientious objector?
5. How long ago did Ichiro's father come to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ichiro searching for acceptance in the very country in which he was born?
2. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
3. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Bull first ignore, and then make fun of Ichiro?
5. Why does Ichiro refuse to have a drink with Ito as he walks to his parents' house for the first time in the beginning of the novel?
6. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
7. How does Ichiro's father get him to leave the house after Ichiro fought with his mother?
8. Why does Ichiro say his life has been ruined?
9. Why does Ichiro call Taro a fool?
10. Why was the bombing at Pearl Harbor such a dramatic event in U.S. military history?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)