|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ichiro so angry before he leaves for Portland?
(a) He wants to marry Emi.
(b) He is fighting with Kenji.
(c) He can't find a job.
(d) He is consumed with bitterness over the past.
2. Why did Ichiro's father move to the United States?
(a) To give his sons the best schooling possible.
(b) So they could buy a house with a white picket fence.
(c) To learn how to speak English.
(d) So they could make money and then return to Japan to live comfortably.
3. "Good" Japanese-Americans were considered to be what?
(a) Loyal to Japan.
(b) Loyal to their children.
(c) Without loyalty for any country.
(d) Loyal to the United States.
4. What kind of business do Ichiro's parents own?
(a) A bakery.
(b) A pet store.
(c) A knitting store.
(d) A grocery store.
5. What do the young boys surrounding Ichiro start to do to him outside of the gambling hall?
(a) Taunt him and start to take off his clothes.
(b) Ask him to join the army.
(c) Taunt him and chase him into the street.
(d) Ask him to go for a ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. After December 7, 1941 many Americans felt this way about Japanese people.
2. What is the Club Oriental?
3. Why doesn't Ichiro respect his parents?
4. What medal was Kenji awarded?
5. How does Ichiro travel around town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
2. What is a "no-no" boy?
3. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
4. Why is Ichiro's brother, Taro, so anxious about enlisting in the U.S. military?
5. Who sends the letter to Ichiro's mother and what does it say?
6. Who is Emi and why is she so important to Ichiro?
7. How long have Ichiro's parents been in the United States and do they plan on returning to Japan?
8. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
9. Why is Ichiro searching for acceptance in the very country in which he was born?
10. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)