|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ichiro think he is a real American?
(a) He doesn't eat apple pie.
(b) He doesn't vote.
(c) He is not caucasian and his parents look like the WWII enemy.
(d) He doesn't know the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. What do the young boys surrounding Ichiro start to do to him outside of the gambling hall?
(a) Taunt him and start to take off his clothes.
(b) Ask him to join the army.
(c) Taunt him and chase him into the street.
(d) Ask him to go for a ride.
3. What does Ichiro call his mother when they argue after Ichiro's family visits the neighbors?
4. Who asks Ichiro to go outside of the gambling hall during his first visit there with Kenji?
(d) Ichiro's father.
5. Ichiro is imprisoned for two years because:
(a) He refused to go to school.
(b) He refused to enlist in the U.S. Army.
(c) He was caught speeding in a stolen car.
(d) He got in a fight with his boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inches of Kenji's injured leg remains?
2. Who does Ichiro visit on campus after taking a bus ride to the school?
3. How long was Ito in the U.S. Army?
4. The mood of the book after the preface is:
5. Which family lives in an apartment that is a mile-and-a-half away from Ichiro's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "relocation camps" used in the United States during World War II.
2. Why does Ichiro refuse to have a drink with Ito as he walks to his parents' house for the first time in the beginning of the novel?
3. Why does Ichiro call Taro a fool?
4. What is a "no-no" boy?
5. Why is Ichiro searching for acceptance in the very country in which he was born?
6. What is a conscientious objector?
7. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
8. Why does Ichiro call his mother crazy in Chapter 2?
9. Explain why "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to fight in the U.S. military against Japan?
10. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)