|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ichiro believes that his father is neither a husband, a father, Japanese, NOR:
(a) A good fisherman.
(c) A good business owner.
(d) A good role model.
2. Most Japanese on the West Coast had three options: go to jail, enlist in the draft, or enter:
(a) An internship.
(b) Relocation Camps.
3. Why does Ichiro start to drink faster than Kenji while they are at the gambling parlor?
(a) He is bitter toward Bull.
(b) He wants to hurry up and drink before the club closes.
(c) He has never had a drink before.
(d) He likes the taste of whiskey.
4. How much money does Ichiro's father give him when he tells Ichiro to go visit Freddie?
5. Why doesn't Ichiro respect his parents?
(a) He thinks they don't love him enough.
(b) He thinks they drink too much.
(c) He thinks they ruined his life.
(d) He thinks they work at the grocery store too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is portrayed as a coward with great hatred for Ichiro in Chapter 4?
2. What country was Ichiro born in?
3. What is Emi's advice to Ichiro?
4. What does Ichiro have to show for going to prison?
5. What do the negroes in the pool hall tell Ichiro to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write a letter to Emi's husband?
2. How does Ichiro's father get him to leave the house after Ichiro fought with his mother?
3. What makes the priest at the funeral stand out?
4. Who yells at Ichiro as he walks past the pool hall in the beginning of the novel and why?
5. Why does Ichiro refuse to fight in the war?
6. Why does Professor Brown dismiss Ichiro from his office at school?
7. Why does Ichiro's mother drown herself?
8. How does Ichiro cause Bull's face to gush with blood?
9. What does Ichiro understand about his mother after her death?
10. Who is Emi and why is she so important to Ichiro?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)