|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Taro want to join the army?
(a) To ease the shame felt by the family when Ichiro refused to serve.
(b) To move away from home.
(c) To learn how to shoot a rifle.
(d) To make his parents angry.
2. How many blocks does Ichiro's mother walk to get bread?
3. Soldiers are returning from what war?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Revolutionary War.
4. Which family lives in an apartment that is a mile-and-a-half away from Ichiro's family?
(a) The Kumasakas family.
(b) The Kenji family.
(c) The Shinju family.
(d) The Asida family.
5. Ichiro believes that his father is neither a husband, a father, Japanese, NOR:
(b) A good fisherman.
(c) A good role model.
(d) A good business owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality does Ichiro identify with most?
2. What does Ichiro think was worth fighting in the war for?
3. Why are Kenji and Ichiro becoming better friends?
4. Ichiro's family can best be described as:
5. What does Ichiro believe his parents represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro call Taro a fool?
2. What makes Kenji and Ichiro such close friends?
3. Who is Emi and why is she so important to Ichiro?
4. Where has Freddie been before he recently returned home five weeks ago?
5. Why does Ichiro have to apologize to his father after Ichiro fought with his mother?
6. Why does Ichiro get so upset with his mother in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Ichiro want to go to Portland?
8. What is a conscientious objector?
9. Who attacks Ichiro outside of Club Oriental?
10. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)