|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Ito in the U.S. Army?
(a) Six months.
(b) 16 months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six days.
2. Why do Freddie and Ichiro feel guilty?
(a) They have not been to college.
(b) They have not registered to vote.
(c) They have been mean to their parents.
(d) They have turned their backs on Japan, but have not supported America either.
3. Why is Ichiro so angry before he leaves for Portland?
(a) He is fighting with Kenji.
(b) He can't find a job.
(c) He is consumed with bitterness over the past.
(d) He wants to marry Emi.
4. Ichiro and his family go to visit other families when he returns home. How do they know these families?
(a) They play on the same softball team.
(b) They were all from the same village in Japan.
(c) They work together.
(d) They all have kids who went to the same school.
5. Why isn't Freddie afraid of being caught in the affair with the married woman?
(a) He is moving soon.
(b) He is a strong fighter.
(c) He doesn't care if he's caught.
(d) She is planning on getting divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soldiers are returning from what war?
2. What do the young boys surrounding Ichiro start to do to him outside of the gambling hall?
3. The lieutenant who volunteered for for the army instead of going to a relocation camp talked to a naive soldier from which U.S. state?
4. What makes Kenji's car special?
5. Where is Ichiro's brother, Taro, going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichiro call his mother crazy in Chapter 2?
2. What is one of the biggest reasons why Ichiro thinks he should have fought for the U.S. military?
3. Describe Club Oriental and what it has to offer.
4. Why does Ichiro argue with his mother again in Chapter 5?
5. How is Freddie spending his time and why?
6. Why does Bull first ignore, and then make fun of Ichiro?
7. What was the American attitude toward Japanese after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
8. How does Ichiro's father get him to leave the house after Ichiro fought with his mother?
9. Why is Ichiro searching for acceptance in the very country in which he was born?
10. Why does Ichiro want to go to Portland?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)