|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Freddie as he and Ichiro enter Club Oriental together near the end of the book?
(a) Bull grabs Freddie from behind.
(b) Taro grabs Ichiro from behind.
(c) Bulls grabs Ichiro from behind.
(d) Taro grabs Freddie from behind.
2. What happens to Freddie after he runs away from the fight in the alley?
(a) He goes back to the bar.
(b) He goes to fight Ito.
(c) He runs home.
(d) He dies in the car crash.
3. What happens when Ichiro shakes his father?
(a) Nothing, he doesn't wake up.
(b) He wakes up and calls the police.
(c) He mumbles that he knows exactly what happened.
(d) He wakes up, then passes out again.
4. Why is Ichiro upset with the people who show up at his mother's funeral?
(a) He thinks they are eating too much food.
(b) He feels too sad to notice any other people.
(c) He thinks the people are too loud.
(d) He feels they are phony and didn't even know his mother.
5. Why does Kenji tell Ichiro to take the car back to Seattle by himself?
(a) Because Kenji wants his father to come pick him up.
(b) Because Kenji doesn't want to drive it anymore.
(c) Because Kenji knows he is dying.
(d) Because Kenji wants Ichiro to find a job in Seattle.
6. Kenji drinks quickly while his father:
(a) Doesn't drink at all.
(b) Drinks very quickly as well.
(c) Drinks only when no one is looking.
(d) Drinks very slowly, appreciating the drink.
7. Who is Tommy?
(a) A young Japanese man who Ichiro knew in Idaho.
(b) A cousin.
(c) An army soldier.
(d) A sign painter.
8. What is good about the church Tommy eventually goes to?
(a) It welcomes Japanese people.
(b) It teaches Japanese traditions.
(c) It welcomes only men.
(d) It welcomes all races.
9. When is Ichiro going to start his new job in Portland?
(a) He is declining the job offer.
(b) In two weeks.
(c) He didn't get the job.
(d) In two months.
10. Why does Mr. Carrick offer Ichiro a job?
(a) He doesn't want to hire anymore Americans.
(b) He is familiar with the struggles of Japanese-Americans and is sympathetic to Ichiro's time in jail.
(c) He is apathetic to Japanese-Americans.
(d) He is desperate for a new employee.
11. When did everything change in his marriage, according to Ichiro's father?
(a) When they made the trip from Japan to America.
(b) When she tried to stack the cans.
(c) When they had children.
(d) When they opened the grocery store.
12. What do we learn about Ichiro's mother before Ichiro leaves for Portland?
(a) She has a deteriorating mental condition.
(b) That she doesn't like Ichiro.
(c) That she enjoys lining up cans and knocking them over.
(d) That she wants to sell the grocery store.
13. Who does Freddie fight with before they arrive at the Club Oriental?
(a) Ichiro's father.
(b) A black man shining shoes and a Japanese man who runs the pool parlor.
(c) Two women walking down the street.
(d) No one, they arrive at Club Oriental without incident.
14. Why does it take Kenji so many hours to pick Ichiro up at the grocery store before they leave for Portland?
(a) He gets lost on the way to the grocery store.
(b) He isn't sure if he wants Ichiro to join him on the journey to Portland.
(c) He is driving around, consumed by his thoughts about race, people, and other situations.
(d) He is consumed by positive thoughts about race relations in the U.S.
15. This is the best way to describe the book's ending:
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichiro's father's mood on the day of Ichiro's mother's funeral?
2. What does Ichiro realize about his attitude following the job interview in Portland as well as the incident at the Cafe?
3. How many customers are in the Burnside Cafe when Ichiro walks through the door?
4. Who is Ichiro going to work with at the Christian Rehabilitation Center?
5. What happens when Tommy and Ichiro go to church together?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)