|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is good about the church Tommy eventually goes to?
(a) It welcomes all races.
(b) It teaches Japanese traditions.
(c) It welcomes only men.
(d) It welcomes Japanese people.
2. What was Ichiro's flashback about?
(a) He remembers his father trying to teach him how to run the grocery store just before he went off to prison.
(b) He remembers a man who didn't like being discriminated against, but wouldn't stand up for a Black man getting the same treatment.
(c) He remembers his mother trying to teach him American customs when he was just a small boy.
(d) He remembers a professor teaching him about engineering.
3. Why does Ichiro jump out of the limousine while he and his father are waiting?
(a) He wants his brother to ride in the limousine instead.
(b) He thinks the funeral is taking too long.
(c) He thinks the funeral is going by too quickly.
(d) He thinks the entire ceremony is a waste of time.
4. Why does Ichiro go to the Christian Rehabiliation Center?
(a) To learn about religion.
(b) To apply for a job.
(c) To learn English.
(d) To learn Japanese.
5. What happens when Ichiro pulls up to the grocery store in the Oldsmobile following his trip home from Portland?
(a) He gets into a fight with his brother.
(b) He refuses to go in and drives away.
(c) The grocery store is locked and he can't get in.
(d) He goes in and has dinner with his parents.
6. What is Kenji ticketed for by the police officer?
(a) Driving too slowly and bribing a police officer.
(b) Driving 80 mph in a 20-mph zone, driving drunk, and attempting to bribe an officer.
(c) Driving without a license and bribing a police officer.
(d) Driving drunk without a license.
7. What does Ichiro tell the Japanese boy waiting on him at the cafe?
(a) That he is homeless.
(b) That he is American.
(c) That he is Chinese.
(d) That he is unemployed.
8. After a great family meal together, what do Kenji and his family watch on television?
9. Who does Freddie kick during the fight in the alley before running to his car?
(a) A stranger.
10. Why is Ichiro upset with the people who show up at his mother's funeral?
(a) He thinks the people are too loud.
(b) He feels too sad to notice any other people.
(c) He feels they are phony and didn't even know his mother.
(d) He thinks they are eating too much food.
11. How does the Japanese boy's mother greet Ichiro when serving his ham and eggs?
(a) With a rude tone.
(b) She says nothing.
(c) In Japanese.
(d) In Chinese.
12. What do we learn about Ichiro's mother before Ichiro leaves for Portland?
(a) That she wants to sell the grocery store.
(b) That she enjoys lining up cans and knocking them over.
(c) That she doesn't like Ichiro.
(d) She has a deteriorating mental condition.
13. What happens when Freddie loses control of the car near the end of the novel?
(a) It flips and pins him against a building.
(b) The car explodes.
(c) The car stalls and just stops in the middle of the street.
(d) He drives off to the safety of home.
14. What news does Emi share with Ichiro about Ralph at the grocery store?
(a) Emi wants to have children with Ralph.
(b) Emi is in love with Ralph.
(c) Emi and Ralph are getting a divorce.
(d) Ralph has re-enlisted in the army.
15. Why is Ichiro's father drinking so much the day Ichiro returns from Portland?
(a) He is deeply depressed.
(b) He wants to have fun.
(c) He is trying to go to sleep.
(d) He is an alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kenji want to write Ralph a letter?
2. What does Ichiro learn about his mother after her death?
3. What does the idea of finding work represent for Ichiro?
4. How much whiskey does Ichiro's father drink just before Ichiro returns from Portland?
5. Why does it take Kenji so many hours to pick Ichiro up at the grocery store before they leave for Portland?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)