|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he prepares to leave for Portland, Ichiro is trying to get over his past and do what?
(a) Reconnect with his parents.
(b) Make up with his brother.
(c) Get his driver's license.
(d) Get on with his own life.
2. Ichiro and his family go to visit other families when he returns home. How do they know these families?
(a) They all have kids who went to the same school.
(b) They work together.
(c) They were all from the same village in Japan.
(d) They play on the same softball team.
3. What revelation does Ichiro have on the bus about fighting in the war?
(a) He realizes he was in prison for too long.
(b) He realizes he should have fought for his country.
(c) He realizes he is against the war.
(d) He realizes he made the right decision by going to prison.
4. How much money does Ichiro's father give him when he tells Ichiro to go visit Freddie?
5. Why does Taro want to join the army?
(a) To learn how to shoot a rifle.
(b) To make his parents angry.
(c) To ease the shame felt by the family when Ichiro refused to serve.
(d) To move away from home.
6. Why isn't Freddie afraid of being caught in the affair with the married woman?
(a) He doesn't care if he's caught.
(b) He is moving soon.
(c) She is planning on getting divorced.
(d) He is a strong fighter.
7. Why are Kenji and Ichiro becoming better friends?
(a) They both don't like Japan.
(b) They both want to go to Portland.
(c) They each have deep problems that they do not share, but can relate to.
(d) They both don't like Taro.
8. Who owns the isolated farmhouse?
(a) No one, it's abandoned.
9. What is Ichiro's father begging Taro to do while he plays solitaire?
(a) Enlist in the army.
(b) Stay in school.
(c) Help his mom with dinner.
(d) Move to Japan.
10. The mood of the book after the preface is:
11. How can Ichiro relate to Kenji's pain?
(a) They both have headaches.
(b) They both suffer leg pain.
(c) They have both considered suicide.
(d) Kenji feels he has two years before his body is rotten; Ichiro feels he lost his own life two years ago in prison.
12. What is the Club Oriental?
(a) A legal gambling hall.
(b) A private club where members can drink and buy alcohol.
(c) A lounge at the train station.
(d) A Chinese food restaurant.
13. What kind of car does Kenji drive?
(a) A Ford.
(b) A Toyota.
(c) A new Oldsmobile.
(d) A used Oldsmobile.
14. Why does Ichiro demand to leave the first house his family visits together?
(a) He is tired.
(b) He doesn't believe Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by nuclear bombs.
(c) He is digusted that people still think Japan has not lost the war.
(d) He is hungry.
15. What was Ichiro studying in college before he went to prison?
(b) Art History.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kenji want Ichiro to go for a ride with him after the incident outside the gambling hall?
2. What is Ichiro's reaction when Kenji mentions he has considered suicide?
3. What country does Ichiro believe has changed his life in the most negative way?
4. Describe the character "Bull":
5. What is Emi's advice to Ichiro?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)