|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ito get out of the U.S. Army?
(a) He was too old.
(b) He got out on a medical leave.
(c) He was kicked out for bad behavior.
(d) He was not a good soldier.
2. What is Ichiro's reaction when Kenji mentions he has considered suicide?
(a) Ichiro wasn't paying attention.
(b) Ichiro walks away.
(c) Ichiro thinks Kenji is not being honest.
(d) Ichiro is suprised.
3. How does Ichiro travel around town?
(a) By walking and taking the bus.
(b) By train.
(c) He never leaves the house.
(d) He has a car.
4. How many inches of Kenji's injured leg remains?
(a) 11 inches.
(b) He doesn't have anything left of one leg.
(c) 1 inch.
(d) 111 inches.
5. How long has Ichiro been away from home?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four months.
(c) 14 months.
(d) Two years.
6. Why do Freddie and Ichiro feel guilty?
(a) They have not registered to vote.
(b) They have not been to college.
(c) They have been mean to their parents.
(d) They have turned their backs on Japan, but have not supported America either.
7. What was Ichiro studying in college before he went to prison?
(c) Art History.
8. Why does Freddie like the woman across the hall so much?
(a) She accepts him for who he really is.
(b) She is teaching him how to speak Chinese.
(c) She is a good cook.
(d) She is tall and skinny.
9. What was the nickname of the small community where the book takes place?
(a) Pike's Peak.
(b) Army Town.
(c) Jap Town.
(d) Fish Town.
10. Which family lives in an apartment that is a mile-and-a-half away from Ichiro's family?
(a) The Kenji family.
(b) The Kumasakas family.
(c) The Asida family.
(d) The Shinju family.
11. The "good" Japanese-Americans were allowed to do what?
(a) Return to their homes and businesses.
(b) Move back to Japan.
(c) Enter the U.S. Army and serve the United States.
(d) Start their own army.
12. Why did Ichiro refuse to join the military?
(a) He thought he was too young to join.
(b) He didn't want to leave his friends.
(c) He was afraid and his mother didn't want him to go.
(d) He didn't know how to use a rifle.
13. What does Ichiro believe his parents represent?
(a) The past.
(c) Small business owners.
(d) The future.
14. Why is Ichiro excited to go to Portland?
(a) He wants to see what a V.A. Hospital looks like.
(b) He wants to get away from his parents.
(c) He wants to drive the Oldmobile.
(d) He wants to spend more time with Kenji.
15. What kind of car does Kenji drive?
(a) A new Oldsmobile.
(b) A Toyota.
(c) A used Oldsmobile.
(d) A Ford.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ichiro arrives home from spending the night with Emi, who does he argue with?
2. What are Freddie and Ichiro looking for to make them feel more at peace with themselves as they try to adjust to life back home?
3. What is a "No-No" boy?
4. Soldiers are returning from what war?
5. What makes Ichiro realize he is a true American citizen?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)