|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does “HOP” stand for in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. Who was George Trevino’s lawyer that the author approached in Part 4, Chapter 18?
3. What male social worker helped Carla James by showing her the lives of those who came out of the facility in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. Author Humes explains two cases involving Judge Dorn’s reform in the juvenile justice system in Part 2, Chapter 12. The good case involved a young schizophrenic named what?
5. What was the fifteen-year-old pregnant girl with the teardrop tattoo charged with in Part 4, Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the CYA and HOP, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 11? Where was Carla James sent?
2. How does the author describe Shy Boy’s circumstances in Part 3, Chapter 15?
3. How does the author describe Sherry Gold when introducing her in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. What program helped to rehabilitate Andre, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 9?
5. Who was arrested for the brutal murders in Inglewood in Part 3, Chapter 13? How was this suspect apprehended?
6. How did Judge Dorn view himself as an authority figure? How did others perceive him in the system, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 12?
7. How was Ronald Duncan’s testimony described by the author in Part 3, Chapter 13?
8. How was Geri Vance’s court case described in Part 3, Chapter 16? What was the outcome?
9. What argument did Jim Hickey make at a meeting to discuss juvenile justice reform in Part 2, Chapter 9?
10. Who was Peter Wilson? What did Peter Wilson address during a press conference described by the author in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the statistics presented by the author regarding the juvenile justice system in Part 1, Chapter 1. How much had violent crime committed by juveniles risen at the time the book was written? Were the projected statistics for 2010 correct? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the childhood of Geri Vance and its contribution to Geri’s entrance into the juvenile justice system. Do you think that the criminal justice system should seek to remove children from homes like Geri’s? What are the positive and negative aspects of enacting programs to do such a thing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss role of the intake officers at Central Juvenile Hall. Why does the author describe these figures as powerful? How do their reports help to shape the life of a prisoner within the juvenile justice system?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)