|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days was Carla James sent to CYA for a psychological evaluation in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. What attorney at a meeting about reforming the juvenile justice system argued that the office should address root problems in Part 2, Chapter 9?
3. What was Sharon Stegall doing career-wise in Part 4, Chapter 18, according to the author?
4. When was Gil Garcetti born?
5. What term is used in the book to describe the practice of flooding a judge with paperwork to manipulate him into changing his behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elias reveal to Sister Janet in Part 2, Chapter 10? How did this come about?
2. Where was Carla James sent for her actual sentence after her evaluation in Part 2, Chapter 11?
3. How did Judge Dorn view himself as an authority figure? How did others perceive him in the system, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 12?
4. What conclusions did Carla James express of the juvenile justice system to the author in Part 4, Chapter 18?
5. How does the author describe the “funnel” of the juvenile justice system in Part 3, Chapter 16? What statistics does he provide?
6. How was Ronald Duncan’s testimony described by the author in Part 3, Chapter 13?
7. Humes relates two cases involving Dorn’s juvenile justice resolutions in Part 2, Chapter 12. How does he describe the “good outcome” case?
8. What changed the victims’ family’s perception of the District Attorney’s case against Roland Duncan in Part 3, Chapter 13?
9. How did the battle between Judge Dorn and the DA’s office progress in Part 3, Chapter 14?
10. How does the author describe Shy Boy’s circumstances in Part 3, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the foster care system of Los Angeles. How many kids are in the foster system today? How many were in the system in 1994? What problems does the author point out about the system? What changes do you think should be made to the system?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the origins, history, and statistics of street gangs in Los Angeles from the 1960s to today. What are the contributing factors in the rise and fall of gang activity? Why are gangs such an issue in the juvenile justice system? Who among the kids followed by Humes in the book were involved in gangs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s profile of Carla James in the book. How old was Carla when she began leading a “double life”? Why does the author assert that Carla may have been helped through the “status offense system”? What was Carla eventually charged with?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)