|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the schoolgirl that was caught with gang tattoos and distributing fliers for a party in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What kind of car did John Sloan drive when he and his friend committed the crime, according to evidence presented in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. Where did John Sloan’s grandparents immigrate to America from?
4. When the author talked to Carla James in Part 1, Chapter 7, she claimed that drive-by’s weren’t murder for what reason?
5. What were the names of the people that Ronald Duncan was accused of murdering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Judge Dorn’s conflict with the Public Defender’s office begin to escalate in Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. What led to Judge Dorn’s “media celebrity” that occurred in Part 1, Chapter 7?
3. What was revealed by the star witness for the prosecution in the Ronald Duncan case in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. How is Judge Roosevelt Dorn described in Part 1, Chapter 1? What was Beckstrand’s impression of Dorn?
5. What did Elias Elizondo tell Edward Humes about juvenile reform in “Intake”?
6. How does the author describe Judge Dorn’s impressions on those within the California Juvenile Justice system in Part 1, Chapter 4?
7. How is Carla James’s family history described in Part 1, Chapter 2? When did Carla’s dad die?
8. How is Luis Santos described by the author in Part 1, Chapter 6? What was Luis charged with?
9. What led to Geri Vance’s entrance into “the system” in his youth? How did his prior record affect his chances in court in Part 1, Chapter 4?
10. What were Peggy Beckstrand’s feelings about the Roland Duncan case, as described by the author in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s depiction of Peggy Beckstrand in the book. What opinions does the author give of Beckstrand? Do you think he represents this individual objectively? Do you feel that Beckstrand is an empathetic individual in the narrative? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the childhood of Geri Vance and its contribution to Geri’s entrance into the juvenile justice system. Do you think that the criminal justice system should seek to remove children from homes like Geri’s? What are the positive and negative aspects of enacting programs to do such a thing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Luis Santos’s story presented to the writing class in Part 1, Chapter 5. What effect did the narrative have on the other inmates? Why? Do you think that Luis’s story showed potential as a writer? Why or why not? What statement do you think the author is making by including these written excerpts?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)