|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Under what alias was Carla James living when she was found by police patrols in Part 1, Chapter 7?
3. By what percentage did juvenile murder rates rise from the 1970s to 1994, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. What term is used in the book for criminal offenses that apply to juveniles but not to adults?
5. On what date did the Northridge earthquake (or LA Quake) occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elias Elizondo tell Edward Humes about juvenile reform in “Intake”?
2. What emotions does the author describe as being central within the juvenile justice system in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What led to Judge Dorn’s “media celebrity” that occurred in Part 1, Chapter 7?
4. How does the author describe Judge Dorn’s impressions on those within the California Juvenile Justice system in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. How were Joseph Gutierrez’s actions perceived by the court in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. What was revealed by the star witness for the prosecution in the Ronald Duncan case in Part 1, Chapter 8?
7. According to the author in “Intake,” a LA social project was monitoring Richard Perez and others like him within the California Juvenile Justice system. What did these researchers conclude from the study?
8. How does the author describe Geri Vance’s home life growing up in Part 1, Chapter 4?
9. How is Carla James’s family history described in Part 1, Chapter 2? When did Carla’s dad die?
10. What was the judge’s decision regarding George Trevino’s “fitness”? Why did the judge reach this decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the origins, history, and statistics of street gangs in Los Angeles from the 1960s to today. What are the contributing factors in the rise and fall of gang activity? Why are gangs such an issue in the juvenile justice system? Who among the kids followed by Humes in the book were involved in gangs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s profile of Carla James in the book. How old was Carla when she began leading a “double life”? Why does the author assert that Carla may have been helped through the “status offense system”? What was Carla eventually charged with?
Essay Topic 3
Are any children truly irredeemable? Why or why not? Do you think the juvenile justice system as described by Humes overestimates the number of irredeemable children or underestimates it? Why?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)