|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boy who was apprehended in association with a series of some of the most brutal murders in LA County claimed that his family was where when the crimes were
(b) Rancho Cordova.
(c) San Diego.
2. The Los Angeles Riots broke out in reaction to what publicized incident?
(a) The Dodgers winning the World Series.
(b) The start of the Iraq War.
(c) The Rodney King beating.
(d) The Bill Clinton sex scandal.
3. Who was the Republican running for California Governor in 1994, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Peter Wilson.
(b) John Sloan.
(c) Paul Anderson.
(d) Joshua Jacobs.
4. What independent California state oversight agency does the author cite as having made recommendations for the juvenile court system in California in Part 4, Chapter 18?
(a) The Adams Committee.
(b) The Big Washington Review Board.
(c) The Little Hoover Commission.
(d) The Jefferson Committee.
5. Who is described in Part 3, Chapter 15 as coming from a good home but stabbed a gas station worker while he was high on primo?
(a) Gil Garcetti.
(b) Mitch Williams.
(c) Mark Lancaster.
(d) Peter Garcia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sister Janet is described as writing what in order to help the boys in Juvenile in Part 2, Chapter 10?
2. Gil Garcetti served as Los Angeles County’s District Attorney during what years?
3. According to the narrator in Part 2, Chapter 10, Sister Janet prodded Geri Vance’s attorney to get him a reduced sentence. The attorney succeeded with a bargain that earned him what maximum sentence?
4. What was Sharon Stegall doing career-wise in Part 4, Chapter 18, according to the author?
5. What are the names of the two kids who were accused of sexually molesting a mentally handicapped boy in Part 3, Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the CYA and HOP, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 11? Where was Carla James sent?
2. How does the author describe Sherry Gold when introducing her in Part 3, Chapter 15?
3. Who was Peter Wilson? What did Peter Wilson address during a press conference described by the author in Part 2, Chapter 10?
4. What did Elias do in order to be sent to “adult prison” in Part 2, Chapter 11? Why?
5. What was the outcome in the case of Hugh, described by the author in Part 3, Chapter 15?
6. What did Elias reveal to Sister Janet in Part 2, Chapter 10? How did this come about?
7. How did Judge Dorn view himself as an authority figure? How did others perceive him in the system, according to the author in Part 2, Chapter 12?
8. How was Ronald Duncan’s testimony described by the author in Part 3, Chapter 13?
9. What incident is described by the author involving a child molestation case in the opening of Part 3, Chapter 14?
10. What outcome does the author describe for Elias Elizondo, Geri Vance, and John Sloan in Part 4, Chapter 18?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)