|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the boy who testified against his father for molestation in Peggy Beckstrand’s memories of a prior case in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. The Prologue of the book gives a setting of Gila County, Arizona, on what date?
(a) December 16, 1980.
(b) June 9, 1945.
(c) June 8, 1964.
(d) April 2, 1985.
3. What was the name of Carla James’s parole officer in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Sharon Stegall.
(b) Geri Vance.
(c) Elias Elizondo.
(d) Edward Humes.
4. Where is the Los Angeles Superior Court, Juvenile Court Division located?
(a) Bakersfield, California.
(b) Inglewood, California.
(c) Big Bear, California.
(d) Encinitas, California.
5. Where was Luis Santos taken when he was taken from Juvenile Hall in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) The hospital.
(b) Los Angeles County Jail.
(c) His mother's house.
(d) The Los Angeles Halfway House.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Luis Santos’s story in Part 1, Chapter 5, who collected Luis to go on a robbery?
2. What was John Sloan’s father’s profession?
3. According to the author in Part 1, Chapter 5, Luis Santos was sent to prison for how many years for his crime?
4. How many kids does the author say were charged as adults for serious crimes because they were over 16 in the past year in Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. What image caused Peggy Beckstrand to break down in tears in Part 1, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does the author describe as being central within the juvenile justice system in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What led to Carla James’s apprehension in Part 1, Chapter 7?
3. How is Luis Santos described by the author in Part 1, Chapter 6? What was Luis charged with?
4. How is Roland Duncan’s behavior characterized when he returned from court in Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. What led to George Trevino’s decision to join a street gang, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 6? How did this lead to his arrest?
6. How is Carla James’s family history described in Part 1, Chapter 2? When did Carla’s dad die?
7. How does the author describe Geri Vance’s home life growing up in Part 1, Chapter 4?
8. What were Peggy Beckstrand’s feelings about the Roland Duncan case, as described by the author in Part 1, Chapter 3?
9. How is Richard “Shorty” Perez described in “Intake”? What was Perez charged with?
10. How is Elias Elizondo described? What is revealed in Elias’s poem from “Intake”?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)