|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Luis Santos’s “street name,” according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. What image caused Peggy Beckstrand to break down in tears in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) A young mother seeing her son killed on the street.
(b) A prostitute being beaten by an overzealous cop.
(c) An old lady stealing coffee from a store.
(d) A homeless man dying on the steps of the courthouse.
3. According to the author in Part 1, Chapter 1, violent offenses by juveniles had risen how much in the past 5 years?
4. What famously televised court case were the students in the writing class watching in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) The O.J. Simpson murder case.
(b) The Jerry Sandusky child molestation case.
(c) The Casey Anthony murder case.
(d) The Willie Nelson marijuana possession case.
5. How many juvenile courthouses served Los Angeles County in 1994, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what alias was Carla James living when she was found by police patrols in Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. How old was the newly appointed Judge Roosevelt Dorn in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. Geri Vance states in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter4, that his parents’ main income was from selling what?
4. Where does Geri Vance hide his ongoing autobiography so that it won’t be confiscated at night, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the boy who testified against his father for molestation in Peggy Beckstrand’s memories of a prior case in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Peggy Beckstrand’s cross-examination of Roland Duncan described in Part 1, Chapter 8?
2. How does the author describe George Trevino in Part 1, Chapter 6? How did George become a “300 kid”?
3. How did Judge Dorn’s conflict with the Public Defender’s office begin to escalate in Part 1, Chapter 7?
4. For what reasons did John Sloan join a street gang, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. How is Roland Duncan’s behavior characterized when he returned from court in Part 1, Chapter 3?
6. How is Judge Roosevelt Dorn described in Part 1, Chapter 1? What was Beckstrand’s impression of Dorn?
7. What led to Judge Dorn’s “media celebrity” that occurred in Part 1, Chapter 7?
8. What was the judge’s decision regarding George Trevino’s “fitness”? Why did the judge reach this decision?
9. How is Carla James’s family history described in Part 1, Chapter 2? When did Carla’s dad die?
10. What courtroom does the author describe as the central setting for the narrative in Part 1, Chapter 1? How is this setting described by Peggy Beckstrand?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)