|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who challenged the testimony of the prosecution’s key witness in Part 3, Chapter 13?
(a) Peter James.
(b) Michael Kennedy.
(c) Bobby Williams.
(d) James Cooper.
2. Andre is described as a gang kid who was reformed by helping a mentally handicapped kid at what school in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(a) The Ross School.
(b) The Manzanita School.
(c) The Rosewood School.
(d) The Juniper School.
3. The Los Angeles Riots broke out in reaction to what publicized incident?
(a) The Bill Clinton sex scandal.
(b) The start of the Iraq War.
(c) The Dodgers winning the World Series.
(d) The Rodney King beating.
4. What was Sharon Stegall doing career-wise in Part 4, Chapter 18, according to the author?
(a) Trying to get promoted to bailiff.
(b) Trying to go back to law school.
(c) Trying to start her own business.
(d) Trying to get a promotion to judge.
5. What is the name of the boy who is caught in connection with a series of some of the most brutal murders in LA County in Part 3, Chapter 13?
6. Of the juvenile cases that make it to adult court, what percentage are dismissed as too minor, according to the author in Part 3, Chapter 16?
7. Who asked a legally improper question when Ronald Duncan was on the witness stand in Part 3, Chapter 13?
(a) Billy Joseph.
(b) Martin Francis.
(c) Michael Moore.
(d) James Cooper.
8. The defendant named Hugh was found to have what in Part 3, Chapter 15?
(a) A solid alibi.
(b) A prior history of murder.
(c) A prior history of robbery.
(d) A weak alibi.
9. What is the title of Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) “The Ins.”
(b) “The Big Fix.”
(c) “Nine Days to Manhood.”
(d) “The Outs.”
10. How old was the boy that Sister Janet discovered to be a genius living under different aliases in Part 4, Chapter 18?
11. Who graduated from probation camp with honors after 8 months and was attending Los Angeles City College in Part 4, Chapter 18?
(a) William Smith.
(b) Stephan Jones.
(c) John Sloan.
(d) Herman King.
12. For how many days was Carla James sent to CYA for a psychological evaluation in Part 2, Chapter 11?
13. Who won the bureaucratic paper battle in Part 3, Chapter 14?
(a) The district attorney's office.
(b) Judge Roosevelt Dorn.
(c) Judge Sherill Luke.
(d) The public defender's office.
14. What term is used in the book to describe the practice of flooding a judge with paperwork to manipulate him into changing his behavior?
15. Who refused to recall his sentence for George Trevino in Part 4, Chapter 18?
(a) Judge Sarah Marshall.
(b) Judge John Hamilton.
(c) Judge Philip Hickok.
(d) Judge James Peterman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her parolees did Sharon Stegall learn had been shot in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. What former juvenile prisoner continued gang-banging even after being blinded by bullets in Part 2, Chapter 11?
3. Sharon Stegall found herself before what Court Commissioner awaiting Carla’s docket in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. The boy who was apprehended in association with a series of some of the most brutal murders in LA County claimed that his family was where when the crimes were
5. At what age was Geri Vance described as a pretty conscienceless and chilling kid in Part 3, Chapter 16?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)