|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did John Sloan’s grandparents immigrate to America from?
2. Who was Peggy Beckstrand’s main witness against Ronald Duncan in Part 1, Chapter 8?
3. Geri Vance states in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter4, that his parents’ main income was from selling what?
4. What was Luis Santos’s “street name,” according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. What kind of car did John Sloan drive when he and his friend committed the crime, according to evidence presented in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) A Chevrolet Corvette.
(b) A Dodge Dart.
(c) A Ford Mustang.
(d) A Volkswagen Karmann Ghia.
6. When the author talked to Carla James in Part 1, Chapter 7, she claimed that drive-by’s weren’t murder for what reason?
(a) The victims shouldn't be there.
(b) You only shoot at buildings.
(c) No one in the car is screaming.
(d) You don't see what happens.
7. What term is used in the book for criminal offenses that apply to juveniles but not to adults?
(a) Child offenses.
(b) Minor offenses.
(c) Petty offenses.
(d) Status offenses.
8. On what date did the Northridge earthquake (or LA Quake) occur?
(a) March 25, 1989.
(b) January 17, 1994.
(c) July 1, 1975.
(d) October 8, 1980.
9. Ronald Duncan was charged with double murder for killing whom, according to the narrator in “Intake”?
(a) His mother and sister.
(b) His brother and sister.
(c) His employers.
(d) His father and brother.
10. According to the evidence presented in Part 1, Chapter 5, John Sloan met what friend outside the department store where he worked on the day of the crime?
11. The murder case described by the narrator in “Intake” involved a botched robbery at what location?
(a) A gas station.
(b) A liquor store.
(c) A freeway motel.
(d) A check-cashing terminal.
12. The billboard overlooking the street to the Central lockup facility is described by the narrator in “Intake” as showcasing a man wearing what?
(c) A crown.
(d) A leather jacket.
13. What title did Peggy Beckstrand hold in 1994, according to the narrative in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) Defense Attorney.
(b) Editor for the LA Times.
(c) LA County Sheriff.
(d) Deputy District Attorney.
14. What does California Penal Code Section 245 address?
(c) Armed burglary.
(d) Assault with a deadly weapon.
15. How many intake cases are described as having been processed in a little over four hours in “Intake”?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time did the author describe leaving Juvenile Hall after the writing class in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. How old was Ronald Duncan in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What is the title of Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Under what alias was Carla James living when she was found by police patrols in Part 1, Chapter 7?
5. Charles Scarlett is described as one of LA’s top attorneys focusing on what issues in Part 1, Chapter 8?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)