|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date did the Northridge earthquake (or LA Quake) occur?
(a) July 1, 1975.
(b) March 25, 1989.
(c) October 8, 1980.
(d) January 17, 1994.
2. Where did John Sloan’s grandparents immigrate to America from?
3. On what night of the week did the author lead a writing class at Central Juvenile Hall?
4. How did Peggy Beckstrand feel about her job in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She wanted a promotion.
(b) She hated it.
(c) She loved it.
(d) She prepared to be fired.
5. How old was George Trevino when he was placed in foster care with the state?
6. How many kids does the narrator claim are warehoused at Central Juvenile Hall in “Intake”?
7. At what time did the author describe leaving Juvenile Hall after the writing class in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) 4:00 p.m.
(b) 7:30 p.m.
(c) 8 p.m.
(d) 9:00 p.m.
8. George Trevino is described by the author as a foster kid or what, in Part 1, Chapter 6?
(a) A “300 kid.”
(b) A “200 kid.”
(c) A “100 kid.”
(d) A “500 kid.”
9. Who was the attorney representing Ronald Duncan in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) Roger Moore.
(b) Stephan Mowers.
(c) Jason Gueringer.
(d) Marshall Johnson.
10. At the terminus of what street does the narrator describe a guard shack overlooking Central lockup’s drive-in entrance in “Intake”?
(a) Alpine Street.
(b) Atlas Street.
(c) Alcazar Street.
(d) Alcatraz Street.
11. What did the judge order regarding the confession tape in the Ronald Duncan case?
(a) That it be allowed.
(b) That the prosecution could use it.
(c) That the defense could use it.
(d) That it be ruled out.
12. How many juvenile courthouses served Los Angeles County in 1994, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 1?
13. According to the narrator in “Intake,” the Central lockup facility was “ancient by Los Angeles standards,” meaning that it had been standing since before what?
(a) The Spanish American War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
14. The estimated street gang force in Los Angeles was estimated at how many in 1994, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 1?
15. Who was the new intake case charged with murder associated with a botched robbery in “Intake”?
(a) George Trevino.
(b) Peggy Beckstrand.
(c) Geri Vance.
(d) Roy Sukoda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Luis Santos use to mean “busted” in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Geri Vance states in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter4, that his parents’ main income was from selling what?
3. How old was Luis Santos at the time of his arrest, according to the author in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. The billboard overlooking the street to the Central lockup facility is described by the narrator in “Intake” as showcasing a man wearing what?
5. Charles Scarlett is described as one of LA’s top attorneys focusing on what issues in Part 1, Chapter 8?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)