|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the endowment ceremony currently practiced?
2. Who was the attorney for the Mormons when they were tried after being arrested in Far West?
3. John L. Butler was descended from a soldier who fought in what war?
4. Which judge said that Missouri could not extradite an Illinois citizen for a crime, which if committed, was committed in Illinois?
5. The dead from Carthage jail were taken where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the prophecy made, by Joseph, about the stone of Daniel?
2. How did Joseph provide for the succession and maintenance of the leadership of the church?
3. What was Governor Ford's solution to avoid having a militia attack Nauvoo after the Nauvoo newspaper was destroyed?
4. Joseph knew of the hostility towards Mormons from people, but where did he think the true problem was from?
5. Why did women, after Joseph Smith's death, try to seal themselves to him?
6. Rather than seeking revenge, what did the Saints do when they learned of Joseph's death?
7. Who was John C. Bennett, and what did he do?
8. What was the purpose of plural marriage?
9. What caused the fight on August 6, 1838?
10. What did the New York Herald say in its obituary about Joseph Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is faith? How do the actions of Joseph and the Saints show that they have faith? Discuss at lest three examples of times when Joseph and the Saints showed faith. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book it seems as if the Mormon community was treated differently than other citizens of the United States. Pick at least two ways in which the Mormons were denied their rights as citizens of the United States. Discuss, using examples from the book, what the rights they were denied were, how that affected the Mormons, and how that was different treatment from other citizens.
Essay Topic 3
What is a theocracy? Using examples from the book to support your answer; discuss how the church in Joseph's time resembled, and did not resemble, a theocracy.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)