|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dead from Carthage jail were taken where?
2. Which paper published an obituary declaring that though Joseph was gone, his murder may give strength to the sect?
3. Which judge said that Missouri could not extradite an Illinois citizen for a crime, which if committed, was committed in Illinois?
4. Joseph and whom, as well as others, were commanded to give themselves up for trial related to the destruction of the press?
5. Plural marriage is also called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between sacred and secret?
2. How did Governor Ford plan to reduce the influence of the Nauvoo militia?
3. After six days of having his troops go wild, what did General Clark tell the remaining Mormon men?
4. What did Bennett use the first 50 pages of his book for?
5. When Joseph and the Saints moved to Nauvoo, where did he send missionaries?
6. Some of the visitors to Nauvoo tried to do what to Joseph?
7. Rather than seeking revenge, what did the Saints do when they learned of Joseph's death?
8. What was one reason that the hostility towards Mormons was deep and far-flung?
9. What was Governor Ford's solution to avoid having a militia attack Nauvoo after the Nauvoo newspaper was destroyed?
10. How did the New York Herald characterize the accusations of Bennett against the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Polygamy is covered in the last few chapters of the book. What is polygamy? What was its intended role? What ended up happening with polygamy? How does the author characterize polygamy? Answer these questions citing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the differences between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the other churches of that time period? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, how did revelations that Joseph received contribute to the challenges the Saints faced during this time? Discuss at least two revelations and their impact on the Saints, the political situation and Joseph Smith himself.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)