|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph Smith had two titles, Prophet and what?
2. In 1937, who stated that of the many religious books printed in the 19th century, the Book of Mormon was most likely the most powerful?
3. In order to continue the construction of the temple, what did John Tanner give?
4. People came from all over the world to what area of the United States to be with Joseph Smith?
5. During the winter of what year did Joseph complete his re-translation of the Bible and collect his revelations for publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were the Twelve Apostles called, and who were they?
2. How does Joseph Smith compare the times he lived in to the times of Christ?
3. What are the origins of Joseph Smith's family?
4. What caused Joseph Smith to have a slight limp?
5. Much of the information the author discovers about Joseph Smith, in his youth, is characterized how?
6. What was the School of the Prophets?
7. What were the three basic causes for the persecution Mormons suffered in Missouri?
8. Though the 1830's were a time of poverty and indebtedness for the people of the church, how does the author characterize the people of the church?
9. What was Mr. Anthon's reaction when he was told he could not see the plates?
10. What was Governor DeWitt Clinton's theory of the Mound Builders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Emma? What was her importance in the development of the church? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the apostates? Pick two of the three apostates or non-believers below and explain how they influenced events in the church. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
1) Mrs. Harris.
2) John C. Bennet.
3) Symonds Ryder.
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the differences between the Mormons and the old settlers in Missouri? What kinds of problems did these differences cause and why? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)