|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the judge that tried to forge a settlement between the Mormons and Jackson County residents?
2. The phrase "burnt over" was in recognition of the many _____ that Joseph's home town had.
3. Despite claims by the author, the only evidence to suggest that Joseph lusted for women is statements given by whom?
4. "The gods are among the people," was stated by whom?
5. What year did the John Mack family arrive in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one problem that apostates presented?
2. When he knelt with Joseph Smith and prayed about Baptism, how does Oliver Cowdery describe his vision?
3. Why did Joseph's father move the family to Palmyra, New York?
4. What political freedom enabled Joseph Smith to start a new church?
5. How did Ms. Brodie see the Book of Mormon?
6. What does the Book of Abraham cover?
7. What is one assertion of unbelievers about the Book of Mormon?
8. What are the origins of Joseph Smith's family?
9. After Joseph Smith translated the first 116 pages, what happened to the pages?
10. In Ohio, what type of life were people trying to lead, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, how did revelations that Joseph received contribute to the challenges the Saints faced during this time? Discuss at least two revelations and their impact on the Saints, the political situation and Joseph Smith himself.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Book of Mormon? What are some of the main stories contained in it? What points does the author make about why she believes the Book of Mormon is not a revelation, but was made up from Joseph's imagination? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why was the time ripe for a new church to develop? What historical, cultural, societal and political events were taking place that allowed Joseph Smith to be able to form a new church? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)