|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph Smith refused to perform, on demand, what types of thing?
2. What year was Joseph Smith born?
3. The Book of Mormon includes a history of the Jaredites, who left what area of the world?
4. As Joseph Smith grew up, he often spent time helping his family to survive by searching for what?
5. What weather event occurred to prevent the mob from killing Joseph and the men from Ohio as they prepared to enter Missouri to help the other members of the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though the 1830's were a time of poverty and indebtedness for the people of the church, how does the author characterize the people of the church?
2. What is one of the things the author accuses Joseph Smith of participating in, rather than in being a man of God?
3. What political freedom enabled Joseph Smith to start a new church?
4. How did most revelations come to Joseph Smith?
5. What did Joseph do while in Independence with his contingent?
6. What did Joseph do, in order to determine for himself which of the churches were true?
7. What was a dream that Vermont farmers had?
8. In Ohio, what type of life were people trying to lead, and why?
9. What was one problem that apostates presented?
10. What was the School of the Prophets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the apostates? Pick two of the three apostates or non-believers below and explain how they influenced events in the church. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
1) Mrs. Harris.
2) John C. Bennet.
3) Symonds Ryder.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the differences between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the other churches of that time period? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the rule of law play in the story of Joseph Smith and the church? What are some activities involving the rule of law? What are some of the results? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)