|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the church was first organized, how many members were there?
2. After what war did the United States break the hold of the traditional church?
3. When did the bank in Kirtland close its door?
4. Joseph Smith had two titles, Prophet and what?
5. Where was Joseph Smith born?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were the Twelve Apostles called, and who were they?
2. What was Emma's description of the plates?
3. What did Joseph do while in Independence with his contingent?
4. What was Governor DeWitt Clinton's theory of the Mound Builders?
5. Much of the information the author discovers about Joseph Smith, in his youth, is characterized how?
6. What was a dream that Vermont farmers had?
7. Why did the leaders of the church believe that their bank would be approved by the Ohio legislature?
8. What is one of the things the author accuses Joseph Smith of participating in, rather than in being a man of God?
9. What was Zion's camp?
10. Why did Joseph's father move the family to Palmyra, New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is faith? How do the actions of Joseph and the Saints show that they have faith? Discuss at lest three examples of times when Joseph and the Saints showed faith. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Book of Mormon? What are some of the main stories contained in it? What points does the author make about why she believes the Book of Mormon is not a revelation, but was made up from Joseph's imagination? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the differences between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the other churches of that time period? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)