|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The phrase "burnt over" was in recognition of the many _____ that Joseph's home town had.
2. As told in the Book of Abraham, what is the name of the planet on which the gods lived?
3. When the Mormons were forced out of Jackson County, many fled to what County?
4. What type of writing was on the plates?
5. How much per month did Joseph earn when he worked with Josiah Stowel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Telestial Kingdom of Heaven described?
2. How did the name of the Church change from The Church of Christ?
3. What is one of the things the author accuses Joseph Smith of participating in, rather than in being a man of God?
4. In Ohio, what type of life were people trying to lead, and why?
5. Though the 1830's were a time of poverty and indebtedness for the people of the church, how does the author characterize the people of the church?
6. What did Joseph do while in Independence with his contingent?
7. What was one problem that apostates presented?
8. What political freedom enabled Joseph Smith to start a new church?
9. Why did Joseph's father move the family to Palmyra, New York?
10. What was Emma's description of the plates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, how did revelations that Joseph received contribute to the challenges the Saints faced during this time? Discuss at least two revelations and their impact on the Saints, the political situation and Joseph Smith himself.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the differences between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the other churches of that time period? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why was the time ripe for a new church to develop? What historical, cultural, societal and political events were taking place that allowed Joseph Smith to be able to form a new church? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)