The Gods are Among the People
• Joseph Smith descended from the Smith family who came to Massachusetts in 1638 and the Mack family, who arrived in 1669. His ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War.
• Joseph Smith was born on December 23, 1805 in Sharon, Vermont.
• While in Vermont, there was a fever. Joseph seemed to be recovering until his mother, Lucy, found huge infections on his shoulder and leg. Lucy refused to let the doctor amputate his leg, and instead chiseled out a small piece of bone below the knee. This left Joseph with a slight limp for the rest of his life.
• Joseph's father wanted his family to have a better life. They moved to Palmyra, New York. The family taped maple trees for syrup and tried to farm wheat.
• After the Revolutionary War the United States broke free of the traditional English church and entered a period of religious freedom...
This section contains 10,086 words
(approx. 34 pages at 300 words per page)