|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
2. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
3. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
4. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
5. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
2. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
3. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
4. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
5. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
6. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
7. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
8. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
9. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
10. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of corruption introduced and developed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)