|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
2. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
3. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
4. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
5. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
2. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
3. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
4. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
5. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
6. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
7. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
8. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
9. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
10. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major techniques used by Achebe to create an authentic Nigerian setting for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
Essay Topic 3
Giving specific examples, discuss the author's use of literary, biblical and historical allusions in the novel.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)