|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
2. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
3. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
4. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
5. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
2. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
3. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
4. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
5. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
6. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
7. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
8. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
9. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
10. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the author's use of literary, biblical and historical allusions in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the Umuofian Progressive Union in the preparation of young Africans for future roles in their society? How does the UPU contribute to the downfall of the very same young people it sets out to prepare for productive roles?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)