|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
2. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
3. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
4. What is Christopher's reaction when Obi shares with him the outcomes of his talks with his parents about marrying Clara?
5. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
2. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
3. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
4. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
5. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
6. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
7. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
8. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
9. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
10. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)