|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
2. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
3. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
4. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
5. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
2. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
3. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
4. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
5. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
6. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
7. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
8. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
9. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
10. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to illustrate the importance of stories, songs, and dreams in the lives of traditional Nigerians. Provide detailed references to stories songs and dreams in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
Essay Topic 2
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)