|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
2. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
3. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
4. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
5. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
2. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
3. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
4. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
5. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
6. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
7. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
8. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
9. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
10. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
Essay Topic 3
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)