|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author use the conversation between Obi and Marie Tomlinson to broaden the portrayal of Mr. Green's character?
2. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
3. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
4. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
5. What brings a bad end to the occasion at the end of the evening after the two couples have enjoyed themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
2. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
3. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
4. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
5. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
6. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
7. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
8. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
9. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
10. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)