|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
2. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
3. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
4. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
5. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
2. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
3. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
4. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
5. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
6. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
7. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
8. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
9. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
10. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 3
"Obi's downfall is the result of a series of incidents in which Obi's pride and impatience cause him to make imprudent decisions." Discuss the validity of this statement.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)