|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
2. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
3. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
4. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
5. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
2. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
3. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
4. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
5. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
6. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
7. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
8. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
9. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
10. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
Essay Topic 3
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)