|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
2. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
3. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
4. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
5. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
2. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
3. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
4. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
5. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
6. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
7. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
8. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
9. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
10. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of corruption introduced and developed in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)