|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
2. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
3. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
4. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
5. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
2. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
3. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
4. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
5. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
6. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
7. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
8. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
9. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
10. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 3
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)