|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
2. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
3. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
4. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
5. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
2. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
3. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
4. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
5. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
6. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
7. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
8. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
9. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
10. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent do the experiences of Obi constitute a loss of innocence and idealism?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of corruption introduced and developed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)