|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
2. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
3. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
4. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
5. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
2. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
3. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
4. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
5. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
6. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
7. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
8. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
9. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
10. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Umuofian Progressive Union in the preparation of young Africans for future roles in their society? How does the UPU contribute to the downfall of the very same young people it sets out to prepare for productive roles?
Essay Topic 2
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)