|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
2. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
3. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
4. What does the parcel that arrives from the general hospital while Obi is at work contain?
5. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
2. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
3. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
4. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
5. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
6. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
7. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
8. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
9. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
10. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 2
What are the major techniques used by Achebe to create an authentic Nigerian setting for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)