|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
2. How does the relationship between Obi and Marie Tomlinson develop after she witnesses Obi's distress about his finances?
3. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
4. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
5. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
2. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
3. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
4. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
5. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
6. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
7. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
8. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
9. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
10. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 2
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)