|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
2. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
3. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
4. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
5. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
2. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
3. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
4. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
5. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
6. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
7. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
8. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
9. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
10. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major techniques used by Achebe to create an authentic Nigerian setting for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)