|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
2. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
3. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
4. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
5. How does the author use the conversation between Obi and Marie Tomlinson to broaden the portrayal of Mr. Green's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
2. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
3. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
4. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
5. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
6. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
7. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
8. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
9. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
10. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major techniques used by Achebe to create an authentic Nigerian setting for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)