|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
2. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
3. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
4. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
5. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
2. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
3. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
4. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
5. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
6. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
7. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
8. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
9. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
10. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major techniques used by Achebe to create an authentic Nigerian setting for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent do the experiences of Obi constitute a loss of innocence and idealism?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)