|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
2. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
3. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
4. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
5. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
Essay Topic 1
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to illustrate the importance of stories, songs, and dreams in the lives of traditional Nigerians. Provide detailed references to stories songs and dreams in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)