|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
2. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
3. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
4. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
5. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
2. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
3. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
4. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
5. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
6. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
7. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
8. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
9. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
10. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Umuofian Progressive Union in the preparation of young Africans for future roles in their society? How does the UPU contribute to the downfall of the very same young people it sets out to prepare for productive roles?
Essay Topic 3
How does the story of Obi suggest that his father erred in his decision to give him a name meaning, "the mind at last is at rest?"
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)