|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
2. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
3. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
4. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
5. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
2. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
3. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
4. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
5. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
6. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
7. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
8. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
9. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
10. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)