|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
2. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
3. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
4. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
5. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
2. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
3. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
4. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
5. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
6. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
7. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
8. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
9. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
10. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)