|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
2. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
3. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
4. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
5. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
2. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
3. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
4. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
5. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
6. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
7. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
8. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
9. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
10. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)