|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
2. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
3. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
4. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
5. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
2. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
3. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
4. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
5. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
6. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
7. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
8. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
9. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
10. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
Essay Topic 2
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)