|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
2. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
3. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
4. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
5. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the author's use of literary, biblical and historical allusions in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)