|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
2. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
3. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
4. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
5. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
2. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
3. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
4. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
5. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
6. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
7. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
8. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
9. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
10. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
Essay Topic 3
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)