|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
2. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
3. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
4. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
5. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
2. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
3. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
4. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
5. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
6. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
7. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
8. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
9. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
10. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)