|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
2. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
3. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
4. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
5. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
2. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
3. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
4. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
5. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
6. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
7. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
8. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
9. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
10. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
Essay Topic 3
"Obi's downfall is the result of a series of incidents in which Obi's pride and impatience cause him to make imprudent decisions." Discuss the validity of this statement.
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)