|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the celebration continues, how does the author use an argument about kola nuts to reveal the clash between Christian beliefs and folklore?
2. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
3. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
4. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
5. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
2. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
3. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
4. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
5. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
6. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
7. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
8. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
9. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
10. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)