|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nigeria's real problem according to Obi in his remarks to Christopher?
2. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
3. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
4. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
5. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
2. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
3. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
4. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
5. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
6. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
7. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
8. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
9. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
10. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
Essay Topic 2
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Giving specific examples, discuss the author's use of literary, biblical and historical allusions in the novel.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)