|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Obi stay in England?
2. What is Obi's theory about corruption in Nigeria?
3. What moves Obi even though he has little religion left while on the boat looking out to sea?
4. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
5. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
2. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
3. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
4. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
5. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
6. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
7. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
8. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
9. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
10. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 3
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)