|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
2. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
3. From which university has Christopher received his degree?
4. What reminds Obi of his first day at school when he shows up at work on his first day in the civil service?
5. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
2. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
3. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
4. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
5. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
6. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
7. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
8. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
9. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
10. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)