|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
2. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
3. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
4. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
5. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
2. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
3. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
4. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
5. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
6. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
7. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
8. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
9. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
10. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent do the experiences of Obi constitute a loss of innocence and idealism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)