|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi's theory about corruption in Nigeria?
2. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
3. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
4. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
5. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
2. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
3. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
4. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
5. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
6. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
7. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
8. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
9. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
10. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
Essay Topic 3
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)