|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Obi's full name?
2. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
3. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
4. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
5. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
2. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
3. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
4. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
5. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
6. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
7. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
8. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
9. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
10. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
"Obi's downfall is the result of a series of incidents in which Obi's pride and impatience cause him to make imprudent decisions." Discuss the validity of this statement.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)