|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
2. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
3. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
4. What reason does Clara offer for saying she cannot marry Obi?
5. Who is the judge at the trial of Obi Okonkwo as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
2. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
3. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
4. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
5. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
6. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
7. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
8. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
9. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
10. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of Obi suggest that his father erred in his decision to give him a name meaning, "the mind at last is at rest?"
Essay Topic 3
"Obi's downfall is the result of a series of incidents in which Obi's pride and impatience cause him to make imprudent decisions." Discuss the validity of this statement.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)