|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
2. How does Obi respond to the two men he meets on his first day at work?
3. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
4. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
5. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
2. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
3. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
4. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
5. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
6. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
7. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
8. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
9. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
10. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)