|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the veteran civil servant characterized when Obi first meets him and the boss comes in demanding a specific file?
2. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
3. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
4. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
5. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
2. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
3. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
4. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
5. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
6. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
7. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
8. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
9. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
10. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)