|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Clara offer for saying she cannot marry Obi?
2. What is Nigeria's real problem according to Obi in his remarks to Christopher?
3. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
4. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
5. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
2. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
3. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
4. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
5. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
6. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
7. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
8. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
9. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
10. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to illustrate the importance of stories, songs, and dreams in the lives of traditional Nigerians. Provide detailed references to stories songs and dreams in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)