|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
2. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
3. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
4. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
5. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
2. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
3. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
4. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
5. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
6. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
7. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
8. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
9. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
10. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the author's use of literary, biblical and historical allusions in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)