|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Obi stay in England?
2. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
3. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
4. Why is Obi's description of the streets and market in the Lagos slum ironic?
5. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
2. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
3. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
4. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
5. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
6. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
7. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
8. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
9. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
10. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Umuofian Progressive Union in the preparation of young Africans for future roles in their society? How does the UPU contribute to the downfall of the very same young people it sets out to prepare for productive roles?
Essay Topic 2
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples, describe how the author introduces and develops family relationships as a major theme in the novel.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)