|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
2. What is Obi's full name?
3. What does the encounter with bribery on the way home cause Obi to think about the situation?
4. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
5. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
2. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
3. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
4. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
5. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
6. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
7. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
8. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
9. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
10. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
Essay Topic 3
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to illustrate the importance of stories, songs, and dreams in the lives of traditional Nigerians. Provide detailed references to stories songs and dreams in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)