|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author prove the assertion that Obi has been homesick while studying in England when Obi is communicating with his villagers?
2. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
3. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
4. How long does Obi stay in England?
5. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
2. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
3. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
4. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
5. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
6. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
7. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
8. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
9. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
10. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of corruption introduced and developed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)