Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
2. What complaint does Obi make to Joseph about treatment he receives from the police when he goes out driving with Clara?
3. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
4. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
5. How long does Obi stay in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
2. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
3. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
4. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
5. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
6. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
7. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
8. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
9. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
10. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
"Obi's downfall is the result of a series of incidents in which Obi's pride and impatience cause him to make imprudent decisions." Discuss the validity of this statement.
What are the major techniques used by Achebe to create an authentic Nigerian setting for the novel?
How is the theme of corruption introduced and developed in the novel?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)