Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
2. What complaint does Obi make to Joseph about treatment he receives from the police when he goes out driving with Clara?
3. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
4. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
5. How long does Obi stay in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
2. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
3. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
4. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
5. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
6. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
7. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
8. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
9. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
10. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 2
The disclosure at the beginning of the novel that Obi is on trial for accepting bribes necessitates extensive use of flashbacks to describe the evolution of events that bring him to this. Discuss the author's handling of flashbacks as a means of exposition in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)