|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
2. What moves Obi even though he has little religion left while on the boat looking out to sea?
3. According to the Vice-President, who "eats" most bribes in Nigeria?
4. What reminds Obi of his first day at school when he shows up at work on his first day in the civil service?
5. How does Joseph interpret Obi's insistence on ignoring tradition and marrying Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
2. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
3. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
4. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
5. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
6. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
7. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
8. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
9. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
10. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the dominant aspects of post-colonial literature that are evident in "Things Fall Apart."
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)