|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Obi's description of the streets and market in the Lagos slum ironic?
2. How is the veteran civil servant characterized when Obi first meets him and the boss comes in demanding a specific file?
3. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
4. What reminds Obi of his first day at school when he shows up at work on his first day in the civil service?
5. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
2. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
3. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
4. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
5. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
6. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
7. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
8. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
9. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
10. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
Essay Topic 1
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of Obi suggest that his father erred in his decision to give him a name meaning, "the mind at last is at rest?"
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)