|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
2. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
3. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
4. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
5. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
2. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
3. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
4. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
5. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
6. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
7. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
8. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
9. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
10. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to illustrate the importance of stories, songs, and dreams in the lives of traditional Nigerians. Provide detailed references to stories songs and dreams in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
Essay Topic 2
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)