|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
2. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
3. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
4. What does Obi do while awaiting the results of his interview?
5. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
2. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
3. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
4. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
5. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
6. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
7. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
8. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
9. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
10. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of Joseph and Christopher in the novel, with specific reference to the role of Christopher as a foil to Obi.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Umuofian Progressive Union in the preparation of young Africans for future roles in their society? How does the UPU contribute to the downfall of the very same young people it sets out to prepare for productive roles?
Essay Topic 3
Referring to Obi's relationship with Christopher, Clara and his parents, discuss the role of conflict in the novel.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)