|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
2. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
3. What helps to cement a friendship between MacMillan and Obi?
4. What is Nigeria's real problem according to Obi in his remarks to Christopher?
5. How does Obi respond to the two men he meets on his first day at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
2. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
3. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
4. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
5. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
6. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
7. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
8. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
9. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
10. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific examples, discuss the author's use of literary, biblical and historical allusions in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific examples, discuss the evidence that the author presents in the novel to illustrate the impact of Obi's British education on his way of life and his analysis of issues.
Essay Topic 3
How does the story of Obi suggest that his father erred in his decision to give him a name meaning, "the mind at last is at rest?"
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)