|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
2. By using the expression "Augean stable", what literary device is the author using?
3. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
4. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
5. Why is the courtroom packed with spectators at Obi Okonkwo's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
2. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
3. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
4. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
5. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
6. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
7. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
8. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
9. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
10. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
Essay Topic 1
To what extent do the experiences of Obi constitute a loss of innocence and idealism?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role played in the novel by the minor European characters in Obi's environment?
Essay Topic 3
How does the story of Obi suggest that his father erred in his decision to give him a name meaning, "the mind at last is at rest?"
This section contains 1,603 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)