|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
2. What is Obi's theory about corruption in Nigeria?
3. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
4. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
5. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
2. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
3. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
4. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
5. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
6. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
7. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
8. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
9. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
10. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Umuofian Progressive Union in the preparation of young Africans for future roles in their society? How does the UPU contribute to the downfall of the very same young people it sets out to prepare for productive roles?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the novel "No Longer at ease" as the author's comment on the result of Obi returning to a Nigeria--a society with which he is no longer comfortable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Obi's father in presenting the perspective of a traditional African converted to Christianity. How does Isaac's embracing of Christianity put him at odds with some of his villagers and establish the theme of contending religious beliefs?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)