|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
2. What is Obi told about the many dead dogs in the street when he visits the slum in Lagos?
3. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
4. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
5. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
2. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
3. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
4. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
5. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
6. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
7. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
8. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
9. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
10. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent does Obi's "coming of age" experience reflect the dilemma of the young generation trapped between traditional and modern cultures?
Essay Topic 3
"Obi's downfall is the result of a series of incidents in which Obi's pride and impatience cause him to make imprudent decisions." Discuss the validity of this statement.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)