|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
2. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
3. After his discussion with Clara and then with Joseph, how does Obi express his defiance of opposition to his marrying Clara?
4. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
5. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
2. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
3. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
4. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
5. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
6. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
7. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
8. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
9. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
10. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent do the experiences of Obi constitute a loss of innocence and idealism?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Clara and outline the role of her relationship with Obi in his downfall.
Essay Topic 3
How does the story of Obi suggest that his father erred in his decision to give him a name meaning, "the mind at last is at rest?"
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)