|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
(b) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(c) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
(d) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
2. What brings a bad end to the occasion at the end of the evening after the two couples have enjoyed themselves?
(a) The couples are held up on their way to the car.
(b) Obi's car is missing from the parking lot.
(c) Clara's money is missing from Obi's car.
(d) Christopher's car is missing from the parking lot.
3. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
(a) He asks Miss Tomlinson to lend him some money.
(b) He calls Okoli about another loan.
(c) He asks Mr. Green about a staff loan.
(d) He asks Mr. Omo about a salary advance.
4. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
(a) She commiserates with him about the high costs in Nigeria.
(b) She says all the educated Nigerians are the same; they have no financial discipline.
(c) She offers to lend him money.
(d) She blames him for living above his means.
5. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
(a) He quotes the Bible and storms out of the room in anger.
(b) He quotes the Bible and says he will marry Clara no matter what.
(c) He insists that the Bible says in Christ there are no bond or free.
(d) He tells his father he is a hypocrite to say he is a Christian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
2. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
3. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
4. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
5. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
2. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
3. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
4. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
5. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
6. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
7. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
8. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
9. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
10. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)