|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Local leave.
(b) Personal leave.
(c) Departmental leave.
(d) Special leave.
2. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(b) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(c) Abortions are safe but expensive.
(d) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
3. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Historical allusion.
(b) Literary allusion.
(c) Biblical allusion.
(d) Mythological allusion.
4. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
(a) That Obi's parents will disinherit him.
(b) That she will ruin Obi's life by coming between him and his family.
(c) That Obi will hate her for breaking off the engagement.
(d) That Obi will not return from his visit home.
5. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
(a) From a moneylender.
(b) From Clara's sister.
(c) From Sam Okoli.
(d) From Marie Tomlinson.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
2. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
3. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
4. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
5. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
2. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
3. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
4. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
5. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
6. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
7. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
8. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
9. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
10. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)