|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
(b) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
(c) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
(d) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
2. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
(a) He decides to say he went to the Cameroons.
(b) He decides to say he was travelling on office business.
(c) He decides to say he lost his receipts.
(d) He decides to pay Mr. Omo to keep quiet.
3. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(b) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
(c) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(d) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
4. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
(a) The educated rarely think about tomorrow.
(b) He knows Obi is careless with details.
(c) He believes Obi will do a back door deal if Mr. Green does not watch carefully.
(d) He believes Obi is irresponsible.
5. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
(a) There are three types of drinks at the bar: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(b) There are three sections of the club: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(c) There are three ways of dressing to go dancing: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(d) There are three ways of dancing the "High-life": European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
2. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
3. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
4. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
5. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
2. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
3. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
4. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
5. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
6. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
7. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
8. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
9. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
10. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)