|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(b) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
(c) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(d) Abortions are safe but expensive.
2. How does Clara embarrass Obi when he finally sees her in the hospital?
(a) In front of all the women, Clara says she will never marry Obi
(b) Clara turns her face to the wall in front of all the women.
(c) Clara orders Obi to leave in front of all the women.
(d) In front of all the women, Clara accuses Obi of forcing her to have an abortion.
3. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(b) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(c) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(d) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
4. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
(a) The second doctor is more understanding because he is young.
(b) The second doctor is less caring, more business like, and more interested in money.
(c) The second doctor gives no advice but warns that abortions are illegal.
(d) The second doctor makes light of the situation and just tells them the cost.
5. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
(a) Obi wants to collect a bribe that Ibe promised to pay him.
(b) Ibe knows a source of cheaper insurance.
(c) Obi wants to borrow money from Ibe.
(d) Obi is holding a promissory note to repay money that Ibe borrowed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
2. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
3. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
4. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
5. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)