|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
(a) He drives in a daze and almost has a head-on collision.
(b) He drives recklessly because of his anger.
(c) He drives quickly because he is anxious to get back to Clara.
(d) He decides to drive carefully so he can plan what to do.
2. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(b) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(c) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(d) He is sympathetic and caring.
3. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(b) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
(c) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
(d) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
4. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Historical allusion.
(b) Literary allusion.
(c) Mythological allusion.
(d) Biblical allusion.
5. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
(a) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes home and breaks down emotionally.
(b) Fearing losing Clara, he goes back to Christopher and breaks down emotionally.
(c) Fearing losing Clara, he tries to follow the doctor's car, but gets lost and is nearly killed.
(d) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes to work and breaks down emotionally.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
2. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
3. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
4. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
5. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)