|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
(a) Mr. Mark asks to talk confidentially to Obi and he speaks in Ibo.
(b) His clothing is suspicious.
(c) He hands Obi a sealed envelope.
(d) His mannerisms are secretive.
2. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
(a) They cause him to leave Clara and become more careless about money, finally accepting a bribe.
(b) They lead to Clara's death, more expenses, and his loss of hope.
(c) They lead to his mother's death and Obi's decision to return to England.
(d) They lead to their break-up and the worsening of his financial situation.
3. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
(a) Obi says they know nothing about Nigerians.
(b) Obi says it is their country so they should have the same privileges as the British.
(c) Obi says Nigerians will show the Europeans what they are capable of.
(d) Obi says that the Europeans set the rules when no Nigerians were in the senior service.
4. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
(a) He feels peace as his mother's memory fades.
(b) He feels lonely and disappointed bu also relieved.
(c) He cannot recall his mother and feels only anger.
(d) He is angry about losing Clara for nothing.
5. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
(b) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
(c) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
(d) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
2. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
3. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
4. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
5. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
2. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
3. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
4. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
5. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
6. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
7. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
8. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
9. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
10. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)