|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
(a) He claims that he has not been sleeping well.
(b) He claims he was overworked on his leave at home.
(c) He claims distress about his mother's illness.
(d) He claims a touch of malaria.
2. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
(a) She reveals that her parents are also against the marriage.
(b) Clara says there is something she had wanted to tell him, but she should be able to take care of it herself.
(c) She reveals that she is pregnant but wants him to leave it to her to manage it..
(d) She says she is in trouble at work but she is working things out.
3. What is Christopher's reaction when Obi shares with him the outcomes of his talks with his parents about marrying Clara?
(a) He encourages Obi to wait for time to heal the situation.
(b) He says he never liked Clara anyway.
(c) He tells Obi there are many alternatives to a woman like Clara.
(d) He agrees with Obi's parents saying that customs cannot be ignored.
4. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
(b) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
(c) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(d) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
5. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
(a) He says everybody is influenced by something.
(b) He says only acceptance of money constitutes bribery.
(c) He says white members of the committee would have accepted Miss Mark's offer.
(d) He says taking willing Elsie to bed after her interview does not qualify as bribery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
2. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
3. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
4. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
5. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
2. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
3. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
4. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
5. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
6. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
7. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
8. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
9. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
10. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)