|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(b) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
(c) They will want to share in his good fortune.
(d) They will want to interfere in his business.
2. What causes Obi's failure to repay Clara's money?
(a) He gets news of his mother's death.
(b) Mr. Green demands that he repay the salary advance immediately.
(c) He gets news of taxes he owes.
(d) He gets news of his father's death.
3. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
(b) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
(c) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(d) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
4. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
(b) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
(c) Because he did not ask her for money.
(d) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
5. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
(b) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
(c) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
(d) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
2. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
3. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
4. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
5. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)