|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the parcel that arrives from the general hospital while Obi is at work contain?
(a) Clara sends him the ring asking him to return it until they can afford it.
(b) Clara sends him a monetary gift from her father.
(c) Clara sends him a £100 note and asks him never to pay her back.
(d) Clara sends him £50 and Obi does not know how to return the money without offending her.
2. What brings a bad end to the occasion at the end of the evening after the two couples have enjoyed themselves?
(a) Obi's car is missing from the parking lot.
(b) Christopher's car is missing from the parking lot.
(c) Clara's money is missing from Obi's car.
(d) The couples are held up on their way to the car.
3. How does the author use the conversation between Obi and Marie Tomlinson to broaden the portrayal of Mr. Green's character?
(a) He writes that both Miss Tomlinson and Obi find Mr. Green a good advisor.
(b) He writes that Miss Tomlinson finds a devout Christian and Obi believes Green has admirable qualities.
(c) He writes that Obi considers Green an oppressor and Miss Tomlinson admires Green's discipline.
(d) He writes that Tomlinson considers him a hypocrite and Obi believes that Green hates Africa.
4. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
(a) He quotes the Bible and storms out of the room in anger.
(b) He insists that the Bible says in Christ there are no bond or free.
(c) He quotes the Bible and says he will marry Clara no matter what.
(d) He tells his father he is a hypocrite to say he is a Christian.
5. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
(a) He calls Okoli about another loan.
(b) He asks Mr. Green about a staff loan.
(c) He asks Mr. Omo about a salary advance.
(d) He asks Miss Tomlinson to lend him some money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
2. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
3. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
4. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
5. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
2. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
3. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
4. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
5. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
6. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
7. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
8. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
9. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
10. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)