|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
(a) Isaac's room has been cleared for Hannah to get more space.
(b) Isaac's room is filled with printed materials, while Hannah's is full of mundane things.
(c) Both rooms are exactly as Obi remembers them from childhood.
(d) Both are in a disheveled condition.
2. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They kiss passionately and make up.
(b) They part without any resolution.
(c) They terminate the relationship.
(d) They end up in a physical fight.
3. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
(a) They go to the movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
(b) They go dancing at the Imperial.
(c) They go dancing and to dinner at the Imperial.
(d) They go to dinner and a movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
4. How does the relationship between Obi and Marie Tomlinson develop after she witnesses Obi's distress about his finances?
(a) They have become intimate and share many activities.
(b) Obi and Marie Tomlinson are on a first-name basis and speak frankly about many things, including Mr. Green.
(c) They have become distant and speak only about work.
(d) They have not recovered from the heated argument about Obi's unpaid debt.
5. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
(a) That she is having an affair with a black clerk.
(b) That she is carrying tales to Mr. Omo.
(c) That she is a spy.
(d) That she is having an affair with the boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
2. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
3. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
4. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
5. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
2. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
3. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
4. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
5. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
6. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
7. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
8. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
9. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
10. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)