|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
(a) Fearing losing Clara, he goes back to Christopher and breaks down emotionally.
(b) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes to work and breaks down emotionally.
(c) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes home and breaks down emotionally.
(d) Fearing losing Clara, he tries to follow the doctor's car, but gets lost and is nearly killed.
2. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(b) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(c) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
(d) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
3. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(b) He is sympathetic and caring.
(c) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(d) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
5. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
(a) The insurance costs £60 and Obi has £15 in the bank.
(b) The insurance costs £42 and Obi has £13 in the bank.
(c) The insurance has to be paid much sooner than Obi expected.
(d) The insurance costs twice what Obi expected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clara say about their engagement the night before Obi goes home on leave?
2. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
3. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
4. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
5. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)