|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(b) Because he did not ask her for money.
(c) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
(d) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
2. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
(b) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(c) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
(d) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
3. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
(a) He comments that Obi might not be the father.
(b) He comments that this is a new and serious turn of events.
(c) He immediately thinks of abortion.
(d) He comments that this shouold not encourage Obi to marry her.
4. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(b) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(c) Abortions are safe but expensive.
(d) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
5. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
(b) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(c) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(d) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
2. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
3. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
4. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
5. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
2. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
3. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
4. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
5. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
6. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
7. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
8. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
9. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
10. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)