|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
(b) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
(c) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
(d) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
2. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
(a) Hamlet in Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(b) Mr. Darcy in "Pride & Prejudice."
(c) Kurtz in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
(d) Pip in "Great Expectations."
3. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
(a) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes home and breaks down emotionally.
(b) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes to work and breaks down emotionally.
(c) Fearing losing Clara, he tries to follow the doctor's car, but gets lost and is nearly killed.
(d) Fearing losing Clara, he goes back to Christopher and breaks down emotionally.
4. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
(a) Both rooms are exactly as Obi remembers them from childhood.
(b) Both are in a disheveled condition.
(c) Isaac's room is filled with printed materials, while Hannah's is full of mundane things.
(d) Isaac's room has been cleared for Hannah to get more space.
5. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(b) He is sympathetic and caring.
(c) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(d) He is a callous and greedy young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
2. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
3. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
4. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
5. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
2. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
3. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
4. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
5. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
6. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
7. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
8. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
9. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
10. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)