|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
(b) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(c) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
(d) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
2. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
(a) They mock him for crying in front of all the women.
(b) They mock him for thinking that his big government car gives him privileges.
(c) They mock him for going on his knees to beg Clara's forgiveness.
(d) They mock him for being over-excited and confused over a simple matter.
3. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
(a) They are disappointed that Obi has lost touch with them.
(b) They feel closer to Obi because he accepts his father's decision.
(c) They become distant because he tries to stand up to his father for an unworthy woman.
(d) They take offense because he stays in his room and they are told he is ill.
4. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
(b) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
(c) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(d) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
5. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They terminate the relationship.
(b) They end up in a physical fight.
(c) They part without any resolution.
(d) They kiss passionately and make up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
2. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
3. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
4. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
5. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
2. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
3. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
4. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
5. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
6. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
7. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
8. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
9. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
10. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)