|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
(a) Obi wants to borrow money from Ibe.
(b) Ibe knows a source of cheaper insurance.
(c) Obi is holding a promissory note to repay money that Ibe borrowed.
(d) Obi wants to collect a bribe that Ibe promised to pay him.
2. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
(a) Obi finds an old paper on which he had written a poem about Nigeria.
(b) Obi re-reads his first collection of poems written while he was studying.
(c) Obi writes a poem that evening.
(d) Obi reads his poetry to remind him of the carefree days in London.
3. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
(b) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
(c) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
(d) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
4. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
(a) He decides to say he was travelling on office business.
(b) He decides to say he lost his receipts.
(c) He decides to pay Mr. Omo to keep quiet.
(d) He decides to say he went to the Cameroons.
5. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(b) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
(c) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(d) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
2. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
3. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
5. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
2. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
3. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
4. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
5. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
6. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
7. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
8. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
9. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
10. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)