|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
(a) His mannerisms are secretive.
(b) Mr. Mark asks to talk confidentially to Obi and he speaks in Ibo.
(c) His clothing is suspicious.
(d) He hands Obi a sealed envelope.
2. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(b) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(c) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(d) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
3. What does Clara say about their engagement the night before Obi goes home on leave?
(a) She suggests they postpone announcing it.
(b) She says it is in everyone's best interest to call it off.
(c) She suggests they shorten the engagement and just get married.
(d) She says they should make it a long one so there is time for everyone to adjust.
4. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
(a) His offer to make it all up to her and take her away from the problems.
(b) His apology and his admission that there is no hope for them.
(c) His offer to marry her no matter what.
(d) His admission that he has wronged Clara terribly and his plea for another chance.
5. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
(a) The author writes that Obi does not eat; he pulls down Houseman's volume but then reads no poems.
(b) He is so agitated that he almost crashes his car.
(c) He storms into the hospital at midnight demanding to see Clara.
(d) He cannot eat, sleep or read poems that normally console him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
2. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
3. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
4. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
5. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
2. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
3. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
4. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
5. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
6. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
7. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
8. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
9. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
10. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)