|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
(a) Obi writes a poem that evening.
(b) Obi reads his poetry to remind him of the carefree days in London.
(c) Obi finds an old paper on which he had written a poem about Nigeria.
(d) Obi re-reads his first collection of poems written while he was studying.
2. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
(a) Green complains about workers borrowing money to support extravagant lifestyles.
(b) Green complains about a student who expects the Government to support both him and his girlfriend.
(c) Green complains that all students supported by the government become greedy in their demands.
(d) Green complains that Obi should have settled down before incurring so many debts.
3. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(b) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(c) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
(d) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is sympathetic and caring.
(b) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(c) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(d) He is a callous and greedy young man.
5. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
(b) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
(c) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
(d) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
2. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
3. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
4. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
5. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
2. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
3. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
4. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
5. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
6. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
7. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
8. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
9. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
10. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)