|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
(b) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
(c) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
(d) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
2. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
(a) Obi and Christopher are asked not to visit again to prevent the girls being sent back to Ireland for going around with African men.
(b) They are turned out after complaints from white nuns about colored boys on the courts.
(c) Nora's mother asks them to leave because she does not want her daughter disgraced.
(d) They are turned out after complaints from white tennis players.
3. How does Clara embarrass Obi when he finally sees her in the hospital?
(a) Clara orders Obi to leave in front of all the women.
(b) In front of all the women, Clara says she will never marry Obi
(c) In front of all the women, Clara accuses Obi of forcing her to have an abortion.
(d) Clara turns her face to the wall in front of all the women.
4. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
(a) Mr. Green threatens to reduce Obi's entitlement.
(b) Mr. Green gives a lecture about abuse of local leave by Africans.
(c) Mr. Green says local leave was never meant for lazy Africans.
(d) Mr. Green complains about Africans being lazy.
5. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
(a) The insurance has to be paid much sooner than Obi expected.
(b) The insurance costs £42 and Obi has £13 in the bank.
(c) The insurance costs twice what Obi expected.
(d) The insurance costs £60 and Obi has £15 in the bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
2. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
3. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
4. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
5. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
2. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
3. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
4. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
5. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
6. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
7. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
8. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
9. What event illustrates the seriousness with which those who want scholarships After Mr. Mark's visit to Obi's office treat applications?
10. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)