|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Obi's failure to repay Clara's money?
(a) He gets news of taxes he owes.
(b) He gets news of his mother's death.
(c) Mr. Green demands that he repay the salary advance immediately.
(d) He gets news of his father's death.
2. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
(a) A.E. Houseman's "Collected Poems."
(b) A.E. Houseman's poems about Nigeria.
(c) T. S. Eliot's poetry collection.
(d) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
3. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
(a) He cannot recall his mother and feels only anger.
(b) He feels lonely and disappointed bu also relieved.
(c) He feels peace as his mother's memory fades.
(d) He is angry about losing Clara for nothing.
4. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
(a) The Catholic convent.
(b) The Civil Servants' Tennis Club.
(c) The British tennis club.
(d) The YMCA.
5. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
(b) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
(c) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
(d) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
2. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
3. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
4. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
5. What happens to Clara after her hospitalization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Obi decide to apply for local leave and visit his home?
2. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
3. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
4. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
5. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
6. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
7. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
8. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
9. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
10. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)