|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(b) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(c) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(d) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
2. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
(a) The second doctor is more understanding because he is young.
(b) The second doctor makes light of the situation and just tells them the cost.
(c) The second doctor gives no advice but warns that abortions are illegal.
(d) The second doctor is less caring, more business like, and more interested in money.
3. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
(a) That she is carrying tales to Mr. Omo.
(b) That she is having an affair with the boss.
(c) That she is having an affair with a black clerk.
(d) That she is a spy.
4. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
(a) He drives quickly because he is anxious to get back to Clara.
(b) He drives in a daze and almost has a head-on collision.
(c) He decides to drive carefully so he can plan what to do.
(d) He drives recklessly because of his anger.
5. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
(a) How he was taken by missionaries and his father put a curse on him.
(b) He tells the story of a boy who dies after hurting his family and running away.
(c) He tells the story of a boy who marries an outcast and never finds happiness.
(d) He tells the story of a woman who dies of heartbreak after her son marries an outcast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
2. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
3. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
4. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
5. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
2. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
3. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
4. What cynical comment does the author make concerning Obi's feelings about Elsie Mark's determination to get a scholarship when Elsie Mark visits Obi?
5. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
6. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
7. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
8. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
9. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
10. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)