|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Special leave.
(b) Local leave.
(c) Personal leave.
(d) Departmental leave.
2. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
(a) Obi wants to collect a bribe that Ibe promised to pay him.
(b) Obi wants to borrow money from Ibe.
(c) Ibe knows a source of cheaper insurance.
(d) Obi is holding a promissory note to repay money that Ibe borrowed.
3. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
(a) He tells the story of a woman who dies of heartbreak after her son marries an outcast.
(b) He tells the story of a boy who marries an outcast and never finds happiness.
(c) How he was taken by missionaries and his father put a curse on him.
(d) He tells the story of a boy who dies after hurting his family and running away.
4. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(b) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
(c) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(d) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
5. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
(a) he plans to save on electricity and entertainment.
(b) He plans to save on electricity and water.
(c) He tries to save by cutting back on meat purchases and reducing use of electricity.
(d) He plans to save on electricity and telephone cost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
2. How does Obi feel after he resists the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
3. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
4. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
5. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
2. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
3. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
4. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
5. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
6. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
7. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
8. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
9. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
10. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)