|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are safe but expensive.
(b) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(c) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(d) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
2. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
(a) A visitor returns with a stranger who finds Obi with marked bills after paying Obi money.
(b) An undercover policeman pays him a bribe with marked bills.
(c) Mr. Omo sees Obi accepting money from a scholarship applicant at the club.
(d) Mr. Green has a spy follow Obi home and sees him accepting money.
3. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
(a) He says they will have to wait until things settle down.
(b) He tells her they have to call off the marriage but he will be with her anyway.
(c) He makes light of it, saying all will be well if they remain quiet for a while.
(d) He suggests they go back to England and marry.
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is sympathetic and caring.
(b) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(c) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(d) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
5. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
(a) Obi does not take it too seriously but Christopher warns that he should listen to his mother.
(b) Christopher tells a story of a woman who threatened suicide but backed away.
(c) Obi says he is only concerned about marrying Clara and Christopher calls him a fool.
(d) Both are worried but Christopher makes light of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
2. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
3. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
4. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
5. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
2. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
3. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
4. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
5. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
6. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
7. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
8. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
9. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
10. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)