|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
(b) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(c) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(d) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
2. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Biblical allusion.
(b) Mythological allusion.
(c) Historical allusion.
(d) Literary allusion.
3. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
(a) Obi believes references to the devil in the prayers are intended for Clara.
(b) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi suspects his mother is dying.
(c) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi believes something has happened to his sister.
(d) The prayers contain references to evil women and Obi believes they are cursing Clara.
4. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
(a) He tells the story of a boy who dies after hurting his family and running away.
(b) How he was taken by missionaries and his father put a curse on him.
(c) He tells the story of a woman who dies of heartbreak after her son marries an outcast.
(d) He tells the story of a boy who marries an outcast and never finds happiness.
5. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
(a) The doctor says Clara is too angry to speak to Obi.
(b) The doctor says Clara might not want to see Obi.
(c) The doctor says there is not much hope for Clara.
(d) The doctor says Clara has given up on Obi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
2. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
3. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
4. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
5. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
2. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
3. Why is Obi distressed by the reaction of his mother when they discuss Obi's plan to marry Clara?
4. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
5. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
6. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
7. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
8. As Obi and Marie Tomlinson become more cordial to each other, how does the author use these two characters to vary the portrayal of Mr. Green?
9. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
10. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)