|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(b) They will want to interfere in his business.
(c) They will want to share in his good fortune.
(d) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
2. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
(a) He claims distress about his mother's illness.
(b) He claims a touch of malaria.
(c) He claims that he has not been sleeping well.
(d) He claims he was overworked on his leave at home.
3. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
(a) He tells his father he is a hypocrite to say he is a Christian.
(b) He insists that the Bible says in Christ there are no bond or free.
(c) He quotes the Bible and storms out of the room in anger.
(d) He quotes the Bible and says he will marry Clara no matter what.
4. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
(a) Obi says he is not sure whether he should marry Clara.
(b) Obi says he wants to meet her people and start negotiations.
(c) Obi says he is worried about the relationship.
(d) Obi says he loves her and will marry her no matter what.
5. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(b) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
(c) Abortions are safe but expensive.
(d) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
2. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
3. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
4. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
5. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)