|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
(a) Obi sleeps with a scholarship applicant and then recommends her for the scholarship.
(b) He finally accepts money to make his payments to the UPU.
(c) A prosperous Lagos businessman hands him money to get his son to England on scholarship one evening during scholarship season.
(d) Obi accepts a bribe from a colleague whose daughter needs a scholarship.
2. What happens to Clara after her hospitalization?
(a) She abandons her job and disappears to her village.
(b) She resigns her job and goes back to England.
(c) She takes seventy days leave and disappears.
(d) She resigns her job and goes to the Cameroons.
3. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
(a) It gives him the chance to change his mind and go home instead.
(b) He has decided to break off the engagement.
(c) He knows she is working late and he will have time to think.
(d) He is in a panic because he does not know what to tell Clara.
4. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(b) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
(c) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
(d) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
5. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(b) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
(c) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
(d) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
2. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
3. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
4. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
5. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
2. What are the examples evident of the author's use of humor When Christopher and Obi take Clara and Bisi dancing at the Imperial?
3. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
4. When Obi reveals his suspicion that Clara is pregnant, how does Christopher react?
5. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
6. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
7. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
8. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
9. When Obi visits home, how does the issue of Clara being osu affect Obi's discussions with his father?
10. Describe the two specific events after the death of Obi's mother that indicates that Obi has broken his resolve against accepting bribes.
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)