|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
(a) To help them with land cases.
(b) To groom him for future political leadership.
(c) To help them to defend those charged with bribery.
(d) To help members with inheritance cases.
2. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
(a) The Tennis Club restaurant.
(b) The Port Royal restaurant.
(c) The Palm Grove restaurant.
(d) The Sand Castle restaurant.
3. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
(a) It is almost empty on a Saturday evening.
(b) It does not sell any African food.
(c) It is owned by an old Englishwoman.
(d) It is completely European in style and food.
4. What is Obi told about the many dead dogs in the street when he visits the slum in Lagos?
(a) They are part of the "Old Nigeria" that Obi has forgotten.
(b) It is good luck to kill a dog with one's new car but bad luck to kill a duck.
(c) They are injured by bad drivers who do not pick them up.
(d) There is no government agency to move them.
5. What offensive question does the commissioner who has been sleeping in the interview ask Obi when he wakes up?
(a) Whether he has brought home a white wife.
(b) Whether he intends to take bribes.
(c) How long he willl survive the system.
(d) Whether he can rise above the laziness of his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
2. Where does Obi first articulate his theory about corruption in Nigeria?
3. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
4. How is the veteran civil servant characterized when Obi first meets him and the boss comes in demanding a specific file?
5. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
2. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
3. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
4. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
5. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
6. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
7. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
8. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
9. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
10. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)