|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
(a) He laughts at her, knowing she is joking.
(b) He calls it nonsense.
(c) He thinks she is being coy.
(d) He says he will pay more money for her.
2. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
(a) They make plans to continue their relationship.
(b) They decide not to see each other again because Clara is betrothed.
(c) They deide to leave things as they are and "see what happens" in Lagos.
(d) Obi declares his love and kisses Clara, who responds with a violent kiss.
3. Who is the judge at the trial of Obi Okonkwo as the novel opens?
(a) Christopher Josephs.
(b) Sam Okoli.
(c) Justice William Galloway.
(d) Isaac Galloway.
4. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
(a) He agrees with Obi.
(b) He agrees with Clara.
(c) He suggests that Obi visit Clara's parents.
(d) He refuses to comment because he has already wrecked a friendship by giving marital advice.
5. What is Obi warned about at his farewell prayer meeting?
(a) He is to "learn book," fear the Lord and not fall into the temptations of other young Africans.
(b) He is to go to church and stay out of trouble.
(c) He is to study hard and not chase white women.
(d) He is to study hard and go often to church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi find amazing about Clara's taste in films?
2. How do Obi and Joseph plan to make a special entrance that will show off Obi's new car at the December meeting of the UPU?
3. What is the meaning of Obi's full name?
4. What shocks Joseph about Obi while they are at the restaurant?
5. What expensive gadget owned by Okoli does Obi admire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
2. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
3. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
4. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
6. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
7. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
8. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
9. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
10. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)