|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
(a) To help members with inheritance cases.
(b) To help them to defend those charged with bribery.
(c) To help them with land cases.
(d) To groom him for future political leadership.
2. What early indication does Obi see how "Dear old Nigeria really works" as the boat docks in Lagos?
(a) A young man offers to waive Obi's customs duty for an introducton to Clara.
(b) A young man comes to Obi's cabin, assesses his radiogram at £5, and reduces it to £2 in exchange for no receipt.
(c) A young man winks at Obi's radiogram and offers to withhold the customs receipt.
(d) A young man offers to reduce the customs duty on his radiogram if Obi will sell it to him cheaply.
3. What is the meaning of Obi's full name?
(a) The last of my father's children.
(b) One born to woe.
(c) One who will do great things.
(d) The mind at last is at rest.
4. How does Joseph react to Obi telling him about the incident at the interview that causes Obi to accuse him of having a colonial mentality?
(a) Joseph advises Obi to get a job before arguing with commissioners.
(b) Joseph advises Obi to aologize to the interviewing panel.
(c) Joseph says Obi will pay for his disrespect to the interviewers.
(d) Joseph says that people needing jobs cannot afford to anger employers.
5. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
2. How does Obi respond to the two men he meets on his first day at work?
3. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
4. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
5. Why do Christopher and Obi eat with their fingers while at Obi's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
2. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
3. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
4. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
5. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
6. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
7. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
8. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
9. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
10. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)