|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Umuofia Progressive Union meet again to discuss Obi's case on the morning of the trial?
(a) The UPU is co-defendant in the case.
(b) Obi owes the UPU a lot of money for loans taken while he is studying.
(c) Obi is indebted to the UPU because of their funding of his education.
(d) Obi is a prominent member of the UPU.
2. How does one leader respond when Obi asks the UPU leaders to give him a four-month grace period before he has to start paying off his loan?
(a) The President warns that Lagos' sweetness causes the downfall of many young people.
(b) The President warns that other returning scholars have found themselves in trouble.
(c) The President warns that Obi should not do anything to bring the UPU into disrepute.
(d) The President warns that bright young people need to learn to manage their financial affairs.
3. How does Joseph react to Obi telling him about the incident at the interview that causes Obi to accuse him of having a colonial mentality?
(a) Joseph says that people needing jobs cannot afford to anger employers.
(b) Joseph advises Obi to aologize to the interviewing panel.
(c) Joseph says Obi will pay for his disrespect to the interviewers.
(d) Joseph advises Obi to get a job before arguing with commissioners.
4. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
(a) They declare that it is good for a man to return home.
(b) They declare that Obi has been to the "land of the spirits."
(c) They declare that Obi is lucky to have been to hell and back.
(d) They declare that it is unfortunate that young men have to travel so far to get a good education.
5. Who is Obi's new boss?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Mr. Umuofia.
(c) Mr. Omo.
(d) Mr. Okoli.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
2. What reason does Clara give for going to Obi's cabin?
3. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
4. Who is the judge at the trial of Obi Okonkwo as the novel opens?
5. As the celebration continues, how does the author use an argument about kola nuts to reveal the clash between Christian beliefs and folklore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
2. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
3. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
4. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
5. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
6. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
7. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
8. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
9. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
10. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)