|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Obi do while awaiting the results of his interview?
(a) He goes home to Umuofia for a short visit.
(b) He goes back to Obiajulu for a short visit.
(c) He goes to Clara's village for a short visit with her parents.
(d) He goes to the Cameroon village for a short visit.
2. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
(d) Port Maria.
3. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
(a) They declare that it is good for a man to return home.
(b) They declare that Obi has been to the "land of the spirits."
(c) They declare that Obi is lucky to have been to hell and back.
(d) They declare that it is unfortunate that young men have to travel so far to get a good education.
4. Who is the judge at the trial of Obi Okonkwo as the novel opens?
(a) Christopher Josephs.
(b) Isaac Galloway.
(c) Justice William Galloway.
(d) Sam Okoli.
5. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
(a) A returning son has divorced his wife.
(b) A returning son has married a white woman.
(c) A returning son has not completed his studies.
(d) A returning daughter has married a white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
2. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
3. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
4. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
5. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
2. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
3. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
4. How do the incidents at the Roman Catholic convent in demonstrate limitations on social relationships in Lagos?
5. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
6. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
7. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
8. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
9. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
10. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)