|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
(b) Word Warrior.
(d) Still Waters.
2. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
(a) For a job interview.
(b) To see his uncle Okolo.
(c) To visit his friend Christopher.
(d) His girlfriend, Clara, has a dressmaker there.
3. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
(a) Christianity makes hypocrites of adherents like Isaac.
(b) Christianity is like palm-wine; it goes to some people's heads, destroying their sense.
(c) Christianity is all about convenience and man's effort to manipulate others.
(d) There is no point to Christianity if members like Isaac do not use it to suit others.
4. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
(a) A returning son has not completed his studies.
(b) A returning son has married a white woman.
(c) A returning daughter has married a white man.
(d) A returning son has divorced his wife.
5. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Mr. Okoli.
(c) Mr. Umuofia.
(d) Mr. Omo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
2. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
3. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
4. Why does the Umuofia Progressive Union meet again to discuss Obi's case on the morning of the trial?
5. What early indication does Obi see how "Dear old Nigeria really works" as the boat docks in Lagos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Obi's job interview with the Public Service Commission?
2. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
3. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
4. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
6. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
7. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
8. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
9. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
10. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)