|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
(a) The Port Royal restaurant.
(b) The Tennis Club restaurant.
(c) The Sand Castle restaurant.
(d) The Palm Grove restaurant.
2. What moves Obi even though he has little religion left while on the boat looking out to sea?
(a) He recalls, "They that go down to the sea in ships."
(b) He recalls, "I see my God in the sea and the sky."
(c) He recalls, "And into sea He stepped with is disciples."
(d) He recalls, "I must go down to the sea again."
3. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go dancing at Okoro.
(b) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(c) They go to the beach.
(d) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
4. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(a) Assistant Nursing Sister.
(c) Nursing Sister.
(d) Assistant Matron.
5. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
2. As the celebration continues, how does the author use an argument about kola nuts to reveal the clash between Christian beliefs and folklore?
3. How does the author prove the assertion that Obi has been homesick while studying in England when Obi is communicating with his villagers?
4. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
5. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
2. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
3. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
4. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
5. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
6. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
7. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
8. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
9. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
10. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)