|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new evidence does Obi see about the pervasiveness of bribery in Nigeria on the way home on the wagon?
(a) The lorry driver bribes the police when they stop the driver for over-crowding.
(b) The lorry driver bribes the police when they stop the vehicle for speeding.
(c) The lorry driver bribes the police when they stop him for driving without a license.
(d) After being stopped by the police, a lorry driver drives until his mate runs back and pays more than it would have cost.
2. What helps to cement a friendship between MacMillan and Obi?
(a) They reminisce about old days in Lagos.
(b) They talk about Obi's attraction to Clara.
(c) They reminisce about times in England.
(d) Both laugh about slipping on deck.
3. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
(a) That he should not be "bone-lazy" but use his "loaf."
(b) That he hopes there will not be a quick descent into taking bribes.
(c) That he hopes he learned something in England.
(d) That he should avoid the temptation of thinking he has arrived.
4. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
(a) That Obi will live where those who get "European jobs" live.
(b) That Obi is about to get a good job.
(c) That Obi has not brought home a white wife.
(d) That Obi has not forgotten his roots.
5. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
(a) He wishes the English could see the Nigerian culture and appreciate the customs.
(b) He compares the lively village culture with the staid, boring ways of the English.
(c) He tells the villagers he has deliberately resisted learning English ways while he studied in England.
(d) He wishes the English could hear people engaged in Ibo conversation, enjoying life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the encounter with bribery on the way home cause Obi to think about the situation?
2. What reason does Clara give for going to Obi's cabin?
3. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
4. What is special about Obi's arrival in Onitsha, a few miles from his village?
5. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
2. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
3. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
4. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
5. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
6. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
7. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
8. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
9. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
10. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)