|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
(b) Word Warrior.
(c) Still Waters.
2. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
(a) They have a special bond because he is the last child.
(b) They have a special bond because she was the one who told him old African stories.
(c) They have a special bond because he is her only son.
(d) They have a special bond since she cut her hand on a razor in his pocket.
3. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
(b) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
(c) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(d) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
4. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
(a) At Yaba with her mother.
(b) At Omuefia.
(c) At Osu.
(d) At Yaba with her sister.
5. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
(a) He thinks it is necessary to live there to show that he has accomplished something.
(b) It makes Obi think of the twin kernels in palm-nuts: one shiny, black, and alive, and the other powdery, white, and dead.
(c) He wants Clara to be happy when they marry and go there to live.
(d) He thinks it will be good to live there when he gets his "European post."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Obi's description of the streets and market in the Lagos slum ironic?
2. What helps to cement a friendship between MacMillan and Obi?
3. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
4. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
5. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
2. Why does Obi accuse Joseph of having a colonial mentality When Obi and Joseph discuss Obi's job interview with the Public service Commission?
3. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
4. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
5. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
6. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
7. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
8. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
9. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
10. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)