|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
(a) He suggests that Obi visit Clara's parents.
(b) He agrees with Obi.
(c) He agrees with Clara.
(d) He refuses to comment because he has already wrecked a friendship by giving marital advice.
2. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
(a) To help members with inheritance cases.
(b) To help them to defend those charged with bribery.
(c) To groom him for future political leadership.
(d) To help them with land cases.
3. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
(a) They have a special bond because he is the last child.
(b) They have a special bond because she was the one who told him old African stories.
(c) They have a special bond since she cut her hand on a razor in his pocket.
(d) They have a special bond because he is her only son.
4. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
(a) Mr. MacMillan and Clara.
(b) Mr. MacMillan and Mrs. Wright.
(c) Mr. Jones and Mrs. Wright.
(d) Mr. MacMillan, Stephen Udom, Mr. Jones and Clara.
5. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
(a) They are embarrassed by the discovery that they are a party to his involvement.
(b) They see nothing wrong with bribery.
(c) They are ashamed that their member could have brought such disgrace upon them.
(d) They believe that Obi's lack of experience cause him to take the money personally rather than through his houseboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi told about the many dead dogs in the street when he visits the slum in Lagos?
2. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
3. What helps to cement a friendship between MacMillan and Obi?
4. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
5. How does Obi respond to the two men he meets on his first day at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Joseph recall about Obi's school days while he and Obi are at dinner at the Pine Grove?
2. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
3. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
4. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
5. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
6. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
7. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
8. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
9. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
10. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)