|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What moves Obi even though he has little religion left while on the boat looking out to sea?
(a) He recalls, "I see my God in the sea and the sky."
(b) He recalls, "I must go down to the sea again."
(c) He recalls, "And into sea He stepped with is disciples."
(d) He recalls, "They that go down to the sea in ships."
2. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
(b) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
(c) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(d) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
3. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
(a) Mr. MacMillan and Clara.
(b) Mr. MacMillan, Stephen Udom, Mr. Jones and Clara.
(c) Mr. Jones and Mrs. Wright.
(d) Mr. MacMillan and Mrs. Wright.
4. What descriptive passage communicates the setting and culture in the Onitsha market?
(a) Children are dancing and playing drums while women sell garri.
(b) Drunken men swagger in the street while women flirt and dance.
(c) To the sound of blaring local music, men are selling a concoction, women sell garri, and give to a dancing beggar.
(d) There is a dancing beggar and men who sell "Long Life Mixture."
5. What is Nigeria's real problem according to Obi in his remarks to Christopher?
(a) Too many uneducated people.
(b) Letting old men rise to the top by bribery and then expecting to be paid off for everything.
(c) Poor leadership.
(d) A shortage of bright young black men to run things.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
2. What does Obi do while awaiting the results of his interview?
3. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
4. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
5. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
2. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
3. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
4. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
5. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
6. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
7. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
8. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
9. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
10. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)