|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
(a) Things Fall Apart.
(b) The Heart of the Matter.
(c) My Heart is Still in Africa.
(d) The Lost Continent.
2. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He is completely rebuffed by her.
(b) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
(c) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(d) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
3. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
(a) They see nothing wrong with bribery.
(b) They are embarrassed by the discovery that they are a party to his involvement.
(c) They are ashamed that their member could have brought such disgrace upon them.
(d) They believe that Obi's lack of experience cause him to take the money personally rather than through his houseboy.
4. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(a) Assistant Matron.
(b) Nursing Sister.
(d) Assistant Nursing Sister.
5. Why does the Umuofia Progressive Union meet again to discuss Obi's case on the morning of the trial?
(a) Obi is a prominent member of the UPU.
(b) Obi is indebted to the UPU because of their funding of his education.
(c) The UPU is co-defendant in the case.
(d) Obi owes the UPU a lot of money for loans taken while he is studying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one leader respond when Obi asks the UPU leaders to give him a four-month grace period before he has to start paying off his loan?
2. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
3. How is the veteran civil servant characterized when Obi first meets him and the boss comes in demanding a specific file?
4. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
5. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed reactions does Obi display in response to his mother's death?
2. Why does the author place emphasis on describing Obi's deteriorating financial situation after the incidents with Mr. Mark and Elsie, his sister?
3. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
4. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
5. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
6. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
7. As Obi is caught with evidence of having accepted a bribe, how does the author indicate that outsiders have no idea how to account for what has happened to Obi?
8. When Obi goes to Clara's after his visit home, how does the relationship between them take a turn for the worse?
9. What sights does Obi observe and how does he respond When Obi returns to Lagos from England and visits a Lagos slum?
10. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)