|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What descriptive passage communicates the setting and culture in the Onitsha market?
(a) To the sound of blaring local music, men are selling a concoction, women sell garri, and give to a dancing beggar.
(b) Drunken men swagger in the street while women flirt and dance.
(c) There is a dancing beggar and men who sell "Long Life Mixture."
(d) Children are dancing and playing drums while women sell garri.
2. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
(a) He dresses well but his speech is long and boring.
(b) He dresses casually and makes too simple a speech.
(c) He dresses casually and is heard speaking Ibo.
(d) He overdresses and talks too much.
3. Why does the Umuofia Progressive Union meet again to discuss Obi's case on the morning of the trial?
(a) Obi is a prominent member of the UPU.
(b) The UPU is co-defendant in the case.
(c) Obi is indebted to the UPU because of their funding of his education.
(d) Obi owes the UPU a lot of money for loans taken while he is studying.
4. What reminds Obi of his first day at school when he shows up at work on his first day in the civil service?
(a) How the headmaster Mr. Jones insulted Mr. Nduka.
(b) How his headmaster Mr. Nduka reamed out Mr. Jones in front of the class.
(c) How Mr. Nduka, the headmaster, reamed out the senior students in the hall.
(d) How Mr. Jones, the feared Inspector of Schools, reamed out Headmaster Simeon Nduka in English.
5. Which two people arrive as Obi and Joseph sit in the lounge at the restaurant in Chapter 4?
(a) Sara arrives with Sam Okoli.
(b) Sam and Christopher.
(c) Sara's best friend arrives with Sam Okoli.
(d) Sam Okoli and Marie Atkinson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
2. What references are made to suggest that the UPU leaders are very aware of the prevalence of bribery in government circles?
3. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
4. From which university has Christopher received his degree?
5. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
2. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
3. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
4. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
5. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
6. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
7. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
8. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
9. How is Joseph proven wrong about his assumption that the owner of the Palm Grove is a Syrian?
10. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)