|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
(a) Reverend Samuel Ikedi.
(b) Reverend Sam Ocala.
(c) Reverend Umuofia.
(d) Reverand Joseph Isaacs.
2. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
(a) He ignores most of what Obi says.
(b) He opposes everything Obi says about the civil service.
(c) He always finds an excuse for what Obi describes in the civil service.
(d) He echoes all of Obi's views.
3. What offensive question does the commissioner who has been sleeping in the interview ask Obi when he wakes up?
(a) Whether he can rise above the laziness of his people.
(b) How long he willl survive the system.
(c) Whether he intends to take bribes.
(d) Whether he has brought home a white wife.
4. What complaint does Obi make to Joseph about treatment he receives from the police when he goes out driving with Clara?
(a) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road questioning how Obi can afford a driver.
(b) He leers at Clara while they are walking on Victoria Beach Road.
(c) He hassles them when they park on Victoria Beach Road thinking Clara is the wife of someone else. someone's else's wife.
(d) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road, questioning the source of Obi's car.
5. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(b) They go dancing at Okoro.
(c) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
(d) They go to the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
2. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
3. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
4. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
5. What reason does Clara give for going to Obi's cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
2. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
3. After Clara and Obi quarrel about his failure to ask her for money to help his situation, how does Obi demonstrate his reliance on reading to find solace?
4. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
5. What incident involving Mr. Mark at Obi's office foreshadows Obi's eventual involvement with bribes over scholarships?
6. What is Christopher's reaction When Obi tells Christopher about Elsie Mark's visit ho his home and his decision to turn her down?
7. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
8. As Obi returns to office while Clara is hospitalized, how do the issues discussed at work contrast with the serious problems facing Obi?
9. What changes about Obi's thoughts when Obi approaches Mr. Omo about a salary advance and learns that his financial situation is even worse than he imagines?
10. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)