|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
(a) Reverend Umuofia.
(b) Reverend Samuel Ikedi.
(c) Reverend Sam Ocala.
(d) Reverand Joseph Isaacs.
2. Who is Obi's new boss?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Mr. Omo.
(c) Mr. Umuofia.
(d) Mr. Okoli.
3. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
(b) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(c) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
(d) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
4. What reason does Clara offer for saying she cannot marry Obi?
(a) She is from the outcast village of Ofuemi.
(b) She is already promised to a member of her tribe.
(c) She cannot bear him children.
(d) She is osu.
5. Why is the courtroom packed with spectators at Obi Okonkwo's trial?
(a) Because he has taken so many bribes.
(b) Because he is a member of prominent political party.
(c) Because of Obi's prominence as a young scholar educated at the expense of many poor Africans.
(d) Because he has such a prominent position in the civil service.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Joseph about Obi while they are at the restaurant?
2. Where does Obi first articulate his theory about corruption in Nigeria?
3. By using the expression "Augean stable", what literary device is the author using?
4. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
5. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. What views about the "bride-price" do Obi and Joseph discuss after speaking about Obi's job interview?
2. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
3. What are the main events involving Obi at the December meeting of the UPU attended by Joseph and Obi?
4. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
6. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
7. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
8. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
9. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
10. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)