|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
(a) His girlfriend, Clara, has a dressmaker there.
(b) For a job interview.
(c) To visit his friend Christopher.
(d) To see his uncle Okolo.
2. Who is the judge at the trial of Obi Okonkwo as the novel opens?
(a) Justice William Galloway.
(b) Christopher Josephs.
(c) Isaac Galloway.
(d) Sam Okoli.
3. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
(a) Reverend Umuofia.
(b) Reverand Joseph Isaacs.
(c) Reverend Samuel Ikedi.
(d) Reverend Sam Ocala.
4. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
(a) Rum and Coke.
(b) Whiskey and soda.
(d) Gin and tonic.
5. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
(a) They make plans to continue their relationship.
(b) They decide not to see each other again because Clara is betrothed.
(c) Obi declares his love and kisses Clara, who responds with a violent kiss.
(d) They deide to leave things as they are and "see what happens" in Lagos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Obi first articulate his theory about corruption in Nigeria?
2. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
3. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
4. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
5. How long does Obi stay in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. After arguing with Joseph, how does Obi first demonstrate the seriousness of his intentions to marry Clara?
2. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
3. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
4. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
5. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
6. What theory has he developed about ending corruption in Nigeria Before Obi begins to work? How has it evolved and why is it ironic?
7. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
8. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
9. What immediate effect does Obi's new job have on his financial status and on Clara?
10. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)