|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Obi and Clara meet again eighteen months after their first meeting?
(a) On the MV Vasa.
(b) On the SS Liverpool.
(c) On the MV Nigeria.
(d) On the SS Lagos.
2. What descriptive passage communicates the setting and culture in the Onitsha market?
(a) Children are dancing and playing drums while women sell garri.
(b) There is a dancing beggar and men who sell "Long Life Mixture."
(c) To the sound of blaring local music, men are selling a concoction, women sell garri, and give to a dancing beggar.
(d) Drunken men swagger in the street while women flirt and dance.
3. What negative comments does Mr. Green make about Africans after his tennis match on the morning of the trial?
(a) Africans are corrupt, sapped mentally and physically, and given a Western education that they do not know how to use.
(b) They cannot help themselves because they are born inferior.
(c) That Africans are too corrupt to benefit from European education.
(d) They are all physically and mentally backward.
4. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
(a) He asks him to consider the effect on the future of both Clara and himself.
(b) He asks him to consider his poor parents who are going to be disappointed.
(c) He asks Obi to consider future generations and those who paid for his education
(d) He asks him to consider the poor people who paid for his education.
5. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
Short Answer Questions
1. By using the expression "Augean stable", what literary device is the author using?
2. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
3. What is the meaning of Obi's full name?
4. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
5. What is Nigeria's real problem according to Obi in his remarks to Christopher?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Obi reaches home, how does the author use descriptions of the rooms of Obi's parents to portray their characters?
2. What makes Obi especially interested in a new arrival at the Pine Grove while he and Joseph are there?
3. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
4. After Obi visits Clara in hospital and she turns her face to the wall, how do events escalate development towards Obi's downfall?
5. At the beginning of Obi's visit to his parents, how does the author communicate Obi's feelings about his mother?
6. What mixed feelings do members of the Umuofian Progressive Union have about Obi's situation at the beginning of the novel?
7. What is the meaning of Obi's full name and why did his father give him this name?
8. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
9. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
10. What mixed feelings does Obi have about resisting the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)