|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
(a) They declare that it is good for a man to return home.
(b) They declare that it is unfortunate that young men have to travel so far to get a good education.
(c) They declare that Obi is lucky to have been to hell and back.
(d) They declare that Obi has been to the "land of the spirits."
2. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
(a) He recalls with shame, singing God Save the Queen in England.
(b) He recalls playing boring cricket while in England.
(c) He recalls how in England every occasion warranted drinking tea.
(d) A song reminds him of Empire Day when Protestants and Catholic compete.
3. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
(a) A returning son has divorced his wife.
(b) A returning son has not completed his studies.
(c) A returning daughter has married a white man.
(d) A returning son has married a white woman.
4. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
(a) They deide to leave things as they are and "see what happens" in Lagos.
(b) They make plans to continue their relationship.
(c) They decide not to see each other again because Clara is betrothed.
(d) Obi declares his love and kisses Clara, who responds with a violent kiss.
5. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
(a) He is embarrassed at the erotic words.
(b) He wants to drown the noise out so he can concentrate on his thoughts.
(c) He considers its meaning and is delighted when he finds out.
(d) He is amused that it contains erotic Ibo words.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
2. What references are made to suggest that the UPU leaders are very aware of the prevalence of bribery in government circles?
3. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
4. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
5. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does the Rev. Samuel Ikedi give to Obi On the occasion of the banquet that Obi's father Isaac hold for him before he goes to study in England,?
2. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
3. What comments does Mr. Green make to suggest that he expected no better from Obi at the tennis club on the morning of the verdict?
4. What event foreshadows Obi's experiences with bribery when the boat bringing Clara and Obi back from England docks at Lagos?
5. Before going to England, Obi spends time in Lagos with Joseph Okeke. Who is Joseph and how is he connected with Obi?
6. What turn does the relationship between Obi and Clara take shortly after getting his new job?
7. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
8. What two mistakes does Obi make when Obi attends reception held in Lagos by the Umuofian Progressive Union to welcome him home?
9. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
10. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)