Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
(a) Their frail health and their poverty.
(b) Their poverty and age.
(c) Their poverty and disappointment in him.
(d) Their illness and age.
2. What complaint does Obi make to Joseph about treatment he receives from the police when he goes out driving with Clara?
(a) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road, questioning the source of Obi's car.
(b) He hassles them when they park on Victoria Beach Road thinking Clara is the wife of someone else. someone's else's wife.
(c) He leers at Clara while they are walking on Victoria Beach Road.
(d) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road questioning how Obi can afford a driver.
3. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
(a) Port Maria.
4. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
(a) Christianity is all about convenience and man's effort to manipulate others.
(b) Christianity makes hypocrites of adherents like Isaac.
(c) Christianity is like palm-wine; it goes to some people's heads, destroying their sense.
(d) There is no point to Christianity if members like Isaac do not use it to suit others.
5. How long does Obi stay in England?
(a) A little under seven years.
(b) A little under four years.
(c) A little under six years.
(d) A little under three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What references are made to suggest that the UPU leaders are very aware of the prevalence of bribery in government circles?
2. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
3. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
4. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
5. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
2. What happens When Obi and Clara visit the first doctor about her pregnancy?
3. Why does Obi feel tears in his eyes at the judge's lecture even though he is prepared for the sentence at the beginning of the novel?
4. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
5. After Obi returns from his visit home, how does Christopher react to Obi's news about the response of his parents to his plan to marry Clara?
6. How does the incident with the police and the lorry driver on the way to Umuofia affect Obi's views about getting rid of bribery?
7. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
8. Describe briefly the incidents that occur between Obi and Clara on the night before Obi leaves for his visit to his home.
9. How does Obi first disappoint the Umuofian progressive Union and the poor Umuofians who tax themselves heavily to send Obi to England to become a lawyer?
10. When Obi leaves Clara to go off with the doctor who is going to perform the abortion, how does the author reveal the extent of Obi's distress?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)