|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Obi's theory about corruption in Nigeria?
(a) Nigeria will remain corrupt until the "old Africans" are replaced by young educated men.
(b) Obi believes corruption will end when the British leave.
(c) That corruption among whites is the foundation for all corruption.
(d) That only foreigners in high places can stamp out corruption.
2. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
(a) He asks him to consider the poor people who paid for his education.
(b) He asks him to consider his poor parents who are going to be disappointed.
(c) He asks Obi to consider future generations and those who paid for his education
(d) He asks him to consider the effect on the future of both Clara and himself.
3. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
(a) They have a special bond because she was the one who told him old African stories.
(b) They have a special bond since she cut her hand on a razor in his pocket.
(c) They have a special bond because he is her only son.
(d) They have a special bond because he is the last child.
4. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
(b) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(c) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
(d) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
5. What is Obi's full name?
(b) Obilo Isaac.
(c) Obiolo St. Christopher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
2. What expensive gadget owned by Okoli does Obi admire?
3. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
4. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
5. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joseph find surprising and what does Obi find disappointing When Obi Joseph takes Obi to dinner at the Pine grove?
2. What references to bribery show that the members are very familiar with corruption in Nigeria At the reception held to welcome Obi home?
3. What spoils his homecoming when Obi arrives home in Umuofia?
4. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in a rage?
5. What complaints does Obi make about an encounter with the police after buying the ring and returning home to Joseph?
6. What does Obi encounter that reminds him about the prevalence of bribery when going home for a short visit while waiting for the result of his interview?
7. How welcoming is Mr. Green when Obi is introduced on his first day at work in the civil service?
8. What contact has there been between Clara and Obi before being together in the Lagos slum where Clara has a dressmaker?
9. What internal conflict does Obi experience while he is on his first visit with his father at home?
10. When Joseph reacts to hearing that Clara is an osu, how does Obi demonstrate his strong feelings about the matter?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)