Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
(d) Miss Tomlinson.
2. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
(a) The doctor says Clara has given up on Obi.
(b) The doctor says Clara is too angry to speak to Obi.
(c) The doctor says there is not much hope for Clara.
(d) The doctor says Clara might not want to see Obi.
3. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
(a) T. S. Eliot's poetry collection.
(b) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(c) A.E. Houseman's poems about Nigeria.
(d) A.E. Houseman's "Collected Poems."
4. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Departmental leave.
(b) Special leave.
(c) Personal leave.
(d) Local leave.
5. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
(b) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(c) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
(d) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
6. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
(b) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
(c) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
(d) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
7. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They part without any resolution.
(b) They end up in a physical fight.
(c) They terminate the relationship.
(d) They kiss passionately and make up.
8. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(b) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(c) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(d) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
9. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
(a) Pip in "Great Expectations."
(b) Mr. Darcy in "Pride & Prejudice."
(c) Kurtz in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
(d) Hamlet in Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
10. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
(a) Mr. Green says local leave was never meant for lazy Africans.
(b) Mr. Green gives a lecture about abuse of local leave by Africans.
(c) Mr. Green threatens to reduce Obi's entitlement.
(d) Mr. Green complains about Africans being lazy.
11. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
12. What is Christopher's reaction when Obi shares with him the outcomes of his talks with his parents about marrying Clara?
(a) He says he never liked Clara anyway.
(b) He agrees with Obi's parents saying that customs cannot be ignored.
(c) He tells Obi there are many alternatives to a woman like Clara.
(d) He encourages Obi to wait for time to heal the situation.
13. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
(a) He hands Obi a sealed envelope.
(b) Mr. Mark asks to talk confidentially to Obi and he speaks in Ibo.
(c) His mannerisms are secretive.
(d) His clothing is suspicious.
14. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
(a) He has decided to break off the engagement.
(b) It gives him the chance to change his mind and go home instead.
(c) He knows she is working late and he will have time to think.
(d) He is in a panic because he does not know what to tell Clara.
15. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
(a) Mr. Omo sees Obi accepting money from a scholarship applicant at the club.
(b) A visitor returns with a stranger who finds Obi with marked bills after paying Obi money.
(c) An undercover policeman pays him a bribe with marked bills.
(d) Mr. Green has a spy follow Obi home and sees him accepting money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
2. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
3. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
4. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
5. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)