|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
(a) He decides to say he went to the Cameroons.
(b) He decides to pay Mr. Omo to keep quiet.
(c) He decides to say he was travelling on office business.
(d) He decides to say he lost his receipts.
2. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
(a) He plans to save on electricity and water.
(b) He tries to save by cutting back on meat purchases and reducing use of electricity.
(c) he plans to save on electricity and entertainment.
(d) He plans to save on electricity and telephone cost.
3. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
(a) Green complains that Obi should have settled down before incurring so many debts.
(b) Green complains about workers borrowing money to support extravagant lifestyles.
(c) Green complains about a student who expects the Government to support both him and his girlfriend.
(d) Green complains that all students supported by the government become greedy in their demands.
4. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
(a) Mr. Green threatens to reduce Obi's entitlement.
(b) Mr. Green gives a lecture about abuse of local leave by Africans.
(c) Mr. Green says local leave was never meant for lazy Africans.
(d) Mr. Green complains about Africans being lazy.
5. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
(a) He tells the story of a boy who marries an outcast and never finds happiness.
(b) He tells the story of a boy who dies after hurting his family and running away.
(c) He tells the story of a woman who dies of heartbreak after her son marries an outcast.
(d) How he was taken by missionaries and his father put a curse on him.
6. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
(a) Obi and Christopher are asked not to visit again to prevent the girls being sent back to Ireland for going around with African men.
(b) Nora's mother asks them to leave because she does not want her daughter disgraced.
(c) They are turned out after complaints from white tennis players.
(d) They are turned out after complaints from white nuns about colored boys on the courts.
7. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
(a) He claims a touch of malaria.
(b) He claims he was overworked on his leave at home.
(c) He claims that he has not been sleeping well.
(d) He claims distress about his mother's illness.
8. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
(a) The prayers contain references to evil women and Obi believes they are cursing Clara.
(b) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi believes something has happened to his sister.
(c) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi suspects his mother is dying.
(d) Obi believes references to the devil in the prayers are intended for Clara.
9. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
(b) Because he did not ask her for money.
(c) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(d) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
10. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
(a) Mr. Omo sees Obi accepting money from a scholarship applicant at the club.
(b) An undercover policeman pays him a bribe with marked bills.
(c) Mr. Green has a spy follow Obi home and sees him accepting money.
(d) A visitor returns with a stranger who finds Obi with marked bills after paying Obi money.
11. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
(b) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
(c) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
(d) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
12. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
(a) Obi wants to borrow money from Ibe.
(b) Ibe knows a source of cheaper insurance.
(c) Obi is holding a promissory note to repay money that Ibe borrowed.
(d) Obi wants to collect a bribe that Ibe promised to pay him.
13. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
(a) Green believes Nigerians like Obi are lazy through and through.
(b) Green believes Nigerians have no discipline or loyalty.
(c) Green believes no Nigerian will put privilege over his country.
(d) Green believes there is too much corruption and lack of patriotism.
14. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
(b) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(c) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
(d) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
15. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
(a) Kurtz in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
(b) Mr. Darcy in "Pride & Prejudice."
(c) Hamlet in Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(d) Pip in "Great Expectations."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
2. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
3. What is Christopher's reaction when Obi shares with him the outcomes of his talks with his parents about marrying Clara?
4. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
5. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)