|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
(a) It gives him the chance to change his mind and go home instead.
(b) He has decided to break off the engagement.
(c) He is in a panic because he does not know what to tell Clara.
(d) He knows she is working late and he will have time to think.
2. What does Clara say about their engagement the night before Obi goes home on leave?
(a) She suggests they postpone announcing it.
(b) She says they should make it a long one so there is time for everyone to adjust.
(c) She suggests they shorten the engagement and just get married.
(d) She says it is in everyone's best interest to call it off.
3. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
(b) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(c) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
(d) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
4. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
(a) Obi reads his poetry to remind him of the carefree days in London.
(b) Obi writes a poem that evening.
(c) Obi finds an old paper on which he had written a poem about Nigeria.
(d) Obi re-reads his first collection of poems written while he was studying.
5. How does the relationship between Obi and Marie Tomlinson develop after she witnesses Obi's distress about his finances?
(a) They have become distant and speak only about work.
(b) They have become intimate and share many activities.
(c) They have not recovered from the heated argument about Obi's unpaid debt.
(d) Obi and Marie Tomlinson are on a first-name basis and speak frankly about many things, including Mr. Green.
6. How does Obi's distraction about the situation with his family affect his journey back to Lagos?
(a) He drives quickly because he is anxious to get back to Clara.
(b) He drives in a daze and almost has a head-on collision.
(c) He drives recklessly because of his anger.
(d) He decides to drive carefully so he can plan what to do.
7. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
(a) He believes Obi is irresponsible.
(b) The educated rarely think about tomorrow.
(c) He knows Obi is careless with details.
(d) He believes Obi will do a back door deal if Mr. Green does not watch carefully.
8. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(b) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
(c) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(d) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
9. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
(b) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(c) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
(d) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
10. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
(a) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi suspects his mother is dying.
(b) Obi believes references to the devil in the prayers are intended for Clara.
(c) The prayers contain references to evil women and Obi believes they are cursing Clara.
(d) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi believes something has happened to his sister.
11. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(b) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
(c) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
(d) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
12. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
(a) He asks Mr. Green about a staff loan.
(b) He asks Miss Tomlinson to lend him some money.
(c) He calls Okoli about another loan.
(d) He asks Mr. Omo about a salary advance.
13. What causes Obi's failure to repay Clara's money?
(a) He gets news of taxes he owes.
(b) Mr. Green demands that he repay the salary advance immediately.
(c) He gets news of his mother's death.
(d) He gets news of his father's death.
14. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
(a) The Catholic convent.
(b) The British tennis club.
(c) The Civil Servants' Tennis Club.
(d) The YMCA.
15. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
(b) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(c) They will want to interfere in his business.
(d) They will want to share in his good fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
2. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
3. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
4. How does Clara embarrass Obi when he finally sees her in the hospital?
5. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)