|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
(a) Obi finds an old paper on which he had written a poem about Nigeria.
(b) Obi reads his poetry to remind him of the carefree days in London.
(c) Obi re-reads his first collection of poems written while he was studying.
(d) Obi writes a poem that evening.
2. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
(b) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(c) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
(d) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
3. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
(a) He feels peace as his mother's memory fades.
(b) He is angry about losing Clara for nothing.
(c) He feels lonely and disappointed bu also relieved.
(d) He cannot recall his mother and feels only anger.
4. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
(b) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
(c) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(d) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
5. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
(a) She commiserates with him about the high costs in Nigeria.
(b) She says all the educated Nigerians are the same; they have no financial discipline.
(c) She offers to lend him money.
(d) She blames him for living above his means.
6. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
(a) Obi says he is worried about the relationship.
(b) Obi says he loves her and will marry her no matter what.
(c) Obi says he is not sure whether he should marry Clara.
(d) Obi says he wants to meet her people and start negotiations.
7. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
(a) He hands Obi a sealed envelope.
(b) His mannerisms are secretive.
(c) Mr. Mark asks to talk confidentially to Obi and he speaks in Ibo.
(d) His clothing is suspicious.
8. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
(b) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(c) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
(d) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
9. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
(a) From Sam Okoli.
(b) From Clara's sister.
(c) From Marie Tomlinson.
(d) From a moneylender.
10. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
(a) Obi says it is their country so they should have the same privileges as the British.
(b) Obi says Nigerians will show the Europeans what they are capable of.
(c) Obi says that the Europeans set the rules when no Nigerians were in the senior service.
(d) Obi says they know nothing about Nigerians.
11. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
(a) The insurance costs twice what Obi expected.
(b) The insurance has to be paid much sooner than Obi expected.
(c) The insurance costs £42 and Obi has £13 in the bank.
(d) The insurance costs £60 and Obi has £15 in the bank.
12. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
(a) Green complains about a student who expects the Government to support both him and his girlfriend.
(b) Green complains that all students supported by the government become greedy in their demands.
(c) Green complains that Obi should have settled down before incurring so many debts.
(d) Green complains about workers borrowing money to support extravagant lifestyles.
13. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
(b) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
(c) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
(d) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
14. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Departmental leave.
(b) Personal leave.
(c) Local leave.
(d) Special leave.
15. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
(a) That she is carrying tales to Mr. Omo.
(b) That she is a spy.
(c) That she is having an affair with a black clerk.
(d) That she is having an affair with the boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
2. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
3. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
4. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
5. What is Christopher's reaction when Obi shares with him the outcomes of his talks with his parents about marrying Clara?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)