|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(b) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
(c) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(d) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
2. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
(a) He is full of grief over her emaciated condition.
(b) He is frightened to see how much weight she has lost.
(c) He is relieved that she is not as bad as he feared.
(d) He is encouraged to see her improvement.
3. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
(a) Obi contemplates withholding payments from the UPU.
(b) Obi considers asking Mr. Green for a loan.
(c) Obi contemplates an overdraft of £50 at his bank.
(d) Obi considers asking Mr. Omo for a salary advance.
4. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
(a) Green believes Nigerians have no discipline or loyalty.
(b) Green believes Nigerians like Obi are lazy through and through.
(c) Green believes there is too much corruption and lack of patriotism.
(d) Green believes no Nigerian will put privilege over his country.
5. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
(a) He asks Mr. Omo about a salary advance.
(b) He asks Mr. Green about a staff loan.
(c) He calls Okoli about another loan.
(d) He asks Miss Tomlinson to lend him some money.
6. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
(a) He plans to save on electricity and telephone cost.
(b) He tries to save by cutting back on meat purchases and reducing use of electricity.
(c) he plans to save on electricity and entertainment.
(d) He plans to save on electricity and water.
7. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
(a) That she is carrying tales to Mr. Omo.
(b) That she is a spy.
(c) That she is having an affair with a black clerk.
(d) That she is having an affair with the boss.
8. What happens to Clara after her hospitalization?
(a) She resigns her job and goes to the Cameroons.
(b) She resigns her job and goes back to England.
(c) She takes seventy days leave and disappears.
(d) She abandons her job and disappears to her village.
9. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
(b) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
(c) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(d) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
10. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
(a) Mr. Green complains about Africans being lazy.
(b) Mr. Green says local leave was never meant for lazy Africans.
(c) Mr. Green gives a lecture about abuse of local leave by Africans.
(d) Mr. Green threatens to reduce Obi's entitlement.
11. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
(b) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
(c) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(d) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
12. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
(b) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(c) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
(d) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
13. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
(a) She says she is in trouble at work but she is working things out.
(b) Clara says there is something she had wanted to tell him, but she should be able to take care of it herself.
(c) She reveals that she is pregnant but wants him to leave it to her to manage it..
(d) She reveals that her parents are also against the marriage.
14. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
(a) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi suspects his mother is dying.
(b) Obi believes references to the devil in the prayers are intended for Clara.
(c) The prayers contain references to evil women and Obi believes they are cursing Clara.
(d) The prayers are filled with references to the devil and Obi believes something has happened to his sister.
15. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
(a) They mock him for crying in front of all the women.
(b) They mock him for thinking that his big government car gives him privileges.
(c) They mock him for going on his knees to beg Clara's forgiveness.
(d) They mock him for being over-excited and confused over a simple matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author use the conversation between Obi and Marie Tomlinson to broaden the portrayal of Mr. Green's character?
2. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
3. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
4. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
5. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)