|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
(b) Because he did not ask her for money.
(c) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(d) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
2. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
(a) Nora's mother asks them to leave because she does not want her daughter disgraced.
(b) Obi and Christopher are asked not to visit again to prevent the girls being sent back to Ireland for going around with African men.
(c) They are turned out after complaints from white nuns about colored boys on the courts.
(d) They are turned out after complaints from white tennis players.
3. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
(a) Obi wants to borrow money from Ibe.
(b) Obi is holding a promissory note to repay money that Ibe borrowed.
(c) Ibe knows a source of cheaper insurance.
(d) Obi wants to collect a bribe that Ibe promised to pay him.
4. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
(a) Mr. Mark asks to talk confidentially to Obi and he speaks in Ibo.
(b) His mannerisms are secretive.
(c) He hands Obi a sealed envelope.
(d) His clothing is suspicious.
5. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
(b) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(c) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
(d) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
6. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(b) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
(c) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
(d) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
7. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
(b) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(c) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
(d) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
8. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to share in his good fortune.
(b) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(c) They will want to interfere in his business.
(d) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
9. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
(a) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant at £570 plus amenities--the next best thing to being a white man.
(b) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant with a high salary--the next best thing to being European.
(c) A degree can turn a clerk into a European.
(d) A degree can make a clerk into what all Nigerians dream of becoming--more like the white man.
10. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
(a) They cause him to leave Clara and become more careless about money, finally accepting a bribe.
(b) They lead to his mother's death and Obi's decision to return to England.
(c) They lead to Clara's death, more expenses, and his loss of hope.
(d) They lead to their break-up and the worsening of his financial situation.
11. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
(a) He comments that Obi might not be the father.
(b) He immediately thinks of abortion.
(c) He comments that this is a new and serious turn of events.
(d) He comments that this shouold not encourage Obi to marry her.
12. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
(b) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
(c) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
(d) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
13. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
14. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
(a) he plans to save on electricity and entertainment.
(b) He plans to save on electricity and telephone cost.
(c) He plans to save on electricity and water.
(d) He tries to save by cutting back on meat purchases and reducing use of electricity.
15. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
(a) Obi sleeps with a scholarship applicant and then recommends her for the scholarship.
(b) He finally accepts money to make his payments to the UPU.
(c) A prosperous Lagos businessman hands him money to get his son to England on scholarship one evening during scholarship season.
(d) Obi accepts a bribe from a colleague whose daughter needs a scholarship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
2. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
3. What does the parcel that arrives from the general hospital while Obi is at work contain?
4. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
5. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)