|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Clara after her hospitalization?
(a) She abandons her job and disappears to her village.
(b) She resigns her job and goes back to England.
(c) She resigns her job and goes to the Cameroons.
(d) She takes seventy days leave and disappears.
2. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
(a) Both are worried but Christopher makes light of it.
(b) Obi does not take it too seriously but Christopher warns that he should listen to his mother.
(c) Christopher tells a story of a woman who threatened suicide but backed away.
(d) Obi says he is only concerned about marrying Clara and Christopher calls him a fool.
3. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
(b) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
(c) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(d) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
4. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
(a) He tells the story of a woman who dies of heartbreak after her son marries an outcast.
(b) He tells the story of a boy who marries an outcast and never finds happiness.
(c) How he was taken by missionaries and his father put a curse on him.
(d) He tells the story of a boy who dies after hurting his family and running away.
5. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(b) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
(c) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
(d) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
6. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
(b) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
(c) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
(d) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
7. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
(b) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(c) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(d) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
8. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
(a) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for being faithful to Clara.
(b) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" because he has left the girl thinking him impotent.
(c) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for missing such an oppportunity.
(d) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for trying to change the world.
9. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
(d) Miss Tomlinson.
10. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
(a) He storms into the hospital at midnight demanding to see Clara.
(b) He cannot eat, sleep or read poems that normally console him.
(c) The author writes that Obi does not eat; he pulls down Houseman's volume but then reads no poems.
(d) He is so agitated that he almost crashes his car.
11. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
(a) He decides to say he lost his receipts.
(b) He decides to say he went to the Cameroons.
(c) He decides to pay Mr. Omo to keep quiet.
(d) He decides to say he was travelling on office business.
12. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
(b) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
(c) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(d) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
13. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(b) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
(c) Because he did not ask her for money.
(d) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
14. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
(a) From a moneylender.
(b) From Clara's sister.
(c) From Marie Tomlinson.
(d) From Sam Okoli.
15. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
(a) She commiserates with him about the high costs in Nigeria.
(b) She blames him for living above his means.
(c) She offers to lend him money.
(d) She says all the educated Nigerians are the same; they have no financial discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
2. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
3. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
4. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
5. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)