|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
(a) Christopher tells a story of a woman who threatened suicide but backed away.
(b) Obi says he is only concerned about marrying Clara and Christopher calls him a fool.
(c) Both are worried but Christopher makes light of it.
(d) Obi does not take it too seriously but Christopher warns that he should listen to his mother.
2. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
(b) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
(c) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
(d) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
3. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(b) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
(c) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(d) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(b) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(c) He is sympathetic and caring.
(d) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
5. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
(a) Hamlet in Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(b) Pip in "Great Expectations."
(c) Mr. Darcy in "Pride & Prejudice."
(d) Kurtz in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
6. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
(b) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(c) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
(d) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
7. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
(a) Green complains that all students supported by the government become greedy in their demands.
(b) Green complains about workers borrowing money to support extravagant lifestyles.
(c) Green complains about a student who expects the Government to support both him and his girlfriend.
(d) Green complains that Obi should have settled down before incurring so many debts.
8. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
(a) There are three ways of dressing to go dancing: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(b) There are three ways of dancing the "High-life": European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(c) There are three types of drinks at the bar: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(d) There are three sections of the club: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
9. How does Obi feel after he resists the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
(a) He feels wonderful because he resisted his first temptation to accept a bribe.
(b) He feels wonderful because Clara sends a note agreeing to marry him.
(c) He feels wonderful because Marie says he did so well in the interview.
(d) He feels wonderful because he will get a good review.
10. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(b) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(c) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(d) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
11. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
(a) A degree can turn a clerk into a European.
(b) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant at £570 plus amenities--the next best thing to being a white man.
(c) A degree can make a clerk into what all Nigerians dream of becoming--more like the white man.
(d) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant with a high salary--the next best thing to being European.
12. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(b) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
(c) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
(d) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
13. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(b) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
(c) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
(d) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
14. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
(a) Both are in a disheveled condition.
(b) Both rooms are exactly as Obi remembers them from childhood.
(c) Isaac's room is filled with printed materials, while Hannah's is full of mundane things.
(d) Isaac's room has been cleared for Hannah to get more space.
15. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
(a) His apology and his admission that there is no hope for them.
(b) His offer to make it all up to her and take her away from the problems.
(c) His offer to marry her no matter what.
(d) His admission that he has wronged Clara terribly and his plea for another chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
2. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
3. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
4. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
5. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)