|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
(a) The second doctor is more understanding because he is young.
(b) The second doctor gives no advice but warns that abortions are illegal.
(c) The second doctor is less caring, more business like, and more interested in money.
(d) The second doctor makes light of the situation and just tells them the cost.
2. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(b) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
(c) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
(d) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
3. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
(a) They become distant because he tries to stand up to his father for an unworthy woman.
(b) They feel closer to Obi because he accepts his father's decision.
(c) They take offense because he stays in his room and they are told he is ill.
(d) They are disappointed that Obi has lost touch with them.
4. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
(a) He is frightened to see how much weight she has lost.
(b) He is relieved that she is not as bad as he feared.
(c) He is full of grief over her emaciated condition.
(d) He is encouraged to see her improvement.
5. Why does Obi send for Charles Ibe when he sees his financial situation worsening?
(a) Obi is holding a promissory note to repay money that Ibe borrowed.
(b) Obi wants to borrow money from Ibe.
(c) Obi wants to collect a bribe that Ibe promised to pay him.
(d) Ibe knows a source of cheaper insurance.
6. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
(b) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(c) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
(d) He stays and talks with him through the night.
7. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
(a) Obi considers asking Mr. Green for a loan.
(b) Obi contemplates an overdraft of £50 at his bank.
(c) Obi contemplates withholding payments from the UPU.
(d) Obi considers asking Mr. Omo for a salary advance.
8. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
(a) They mock him for being over-excited and confused over a simple matter.
(b) They mock him for crying in front of all the women.
(c) They mock him for going on his knees to beg Clara's forgiveness.
(d) They mock him for thinking that his big government car gives him privileges.
9. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(b) Because he did not ask her for money.
(c) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
(d) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
10. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
(a) There are three types of drinks at the bar: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(b) There are three ways of dancing the "High-life": European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(c) There are three sections of the club: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(d) There are three ways of dressing to go dancing: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
11. What does Obi turn to for solace when at home in his distress after refusing dinner?
(a) A.E. Houseman's poems about Nigeria.
(b) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(c) T. S. Eliot's poetry collection.
(d) A.E. Houseman's "Collected Poems."
12. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
(b) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(c) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
(d) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
13. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
(b) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
(c) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
(d) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
14. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
(a) He comments that this is a new and serious turn of events.
(b) He comments that Obi might not be the father.
(c) He immediately thinks of abortion.
(d) He comments that this shouold not encourage Obi to marry her.
15. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They end up in a physical fight.
(b) They part without any resolution.
(c) They kiss passionately and make up.
(d) They terminate the relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
2. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
3. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
4. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
5. How does Clara embarrass Obi when he finally sees her in the hospital?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)