|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
(a) She reveals that her parents are also against the marriage.
(b) She says she is in trouble at work but she is working things out.
(c) Clara says there is something she had wanted to tell him, but she should be able to take care of it herself.
(d) She reveals that she is pregnant but wants him to leave it to her to manage it..
2. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
(a) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for trying to change the world.
(b) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" because he has left the girl thinking him impotent.
(c) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for missing such an oppportunity.
(d) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for being faithful to Clara.
3. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
(a) Obi writes a poem that evening.
(b) Obi reads his poetry to remind him of the carefree days in London.
(c) Obi re-reads his first collection of poems written while he was studying.
(d) Obi finds an old paper on which he had written a poem about Nigeria.
4. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(b) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
(c) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
(d) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
5. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
(b) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
(c) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(d) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
6. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
(a) He is relieved that she is not as bad as he feared.
(b) He is full of grief over her emaciated condition.
(c) He is encouraged to see her improvement.
(d) He is frightened to see how much weight she has lost.
7. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
(b) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
(c) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(d) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
8. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
(a) She says all the educated Nigerians are the same; they have no financial discipline.
(b) She commiserates with him about the high costs in Nigeria.
(c) She blames him for living above his means.
(d) She offers to lend him money.
9. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
(a) He cannot recall his mother and feels only anger.
(b) He feels peace as his mother's memory fades.
(c) He feels lonely and disappointed bu also relieved.
(d) He is angry about losing Clara for nothing.
10. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(b) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
(c) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(d) Abortions are safe but expensive.
11. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
(b) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
(c) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
(d) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
12. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(b) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
(c) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
(d) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
13. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
(a) The Civil Servants' Tennis Club.
(b) The YMCA.
(c) The British tennis club.
(d) The Catholic convent.
14. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
(a) They go dancing and to dinner at the Imperial.
(b) They go dancing at the Imperial.
(c) They go to the movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
(d) They go to dinner and a movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
15. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
(a) He storms into the hospital at midnight demanding to see Clara.
(b) The author writes that Obi does not eat; he pulls down Houseman's volume but then reads no poems.
(c) He is so agitated that he almost crashes his car.
(d) He cannot eat, sleep or read poems that normally console him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
2. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
3. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
4. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
5. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)