|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
(b) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(c) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
(d) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
2. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
(a) Obi says they know nothing about Nigerians.
(b) Obi says Nigerians will show the Europeans what they are capable of.
(c) Obi says that the Europeans set the rules when no Nigerians were in the senior service.
(d) Obi says it is their country so they should have the same privileges as the British.
3. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They kiss passionately and make up.
(b) They terminate the relationship.
(c) They part without any resolution.
(d) They end up in a physical fight.
4. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
(a) Mr. Mark asks to talk confidentially to Obi and he speaks in Ibo.
(b) He hands Obi a sealed envelope.
(c) His mannerisms are secretive.
(d) His clothing is suspicious.
5. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
(d) Miss Tomlinson.
6. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(b) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
(c) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
(d) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
7. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
(a) Pip in "Great Expectations."
(b) Mr. Darcy in "Pride & Prejudice."
(c) Hamlet in Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(d) Kurtz in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
8. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
(a) He is so agitated that he almost crashes his car.
(b) The author writes that Obi does not eat; he pulls down Houseman's volume but then reads no poems.
(c) He cannot eat, sleep or read poems that normally console him.
(d) He storms into the hospital at midnight demanding to see Clara.
9. How does the relationship between Obi and Marie Tomlinson develop after she witnesses Obi's distress about his finances?
(a) They have become intimate and share many activities.
(b) Obi and Marie Tomlinson are on a first-name basis and speak frankly about many things, including Mr. Green.
(c) They have not recovered from the heated argument about Obi's unpaid debt.
(d) They have become distant and speak only about work.
10. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
(b) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(c) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(d) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
11. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
(a) He says taking willing Elsie to bed after her interview does not qualify as bribery.
(b) He says everybody is influenced by something.
(c) He says white members of the committee would have accepted Miss Mark's offer.
(d) He says only acceptance of money constitutes bribery.
12. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
(a) There are three ways of dancing the "High-life": European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(b) There are three sections of the club: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(c) There are three ways of dressing to go dancing: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(d) There are three types of drinks at the bar: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
13. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
(a) They mock him for going on his knees to beg Clara's forgiveness.
(b) They mock him for crying in front of all the women.
(c) They mock him for thinking that his big government car gives him privileges.
(d) They mock him for being over-excited and confused over a simple matter.
14. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Historical allusion.
(b) Biblical allusion.
(c) Literary allusion.
(d) Mythological allusion.
15. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(b) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(c) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(d) He is sympathetic and caring.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
2. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
3. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
4. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
5. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)