|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(b) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
(c) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(d) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
2. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
(a) Green believes Nigerians have no discipline or loyalty.
(b) Green believes no Nigerian will put privilege over his country.
(c) Green believes Nigerians like Obi are lazy through and through.
(d) Green believes there is too much corruption and lack of patriotism.
3. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
(a) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for missing such an oppportunity.
(b) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" because he has left the girl thinking him impotent.
(c) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for trying to change the world.
(d) Christopher calls him "the biggest ass in Nigeria" for being faithful to Clara.
4. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
(b) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
(c) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(d) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
5. What do the villagers accuse Obi of after his mother is buried?
(a) Obi is called a beast who abandons his kin for sweet things.
(b) They accuse Obi of giving up his mother for an osu woman.
(c) They accuse Obi of stealing from his own mother to be with an osu woman.
(d) They accuse Obi of being ungrateful and wicked to his own.
6. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
(a) It gives him the chance to change his mind and go home instead.
(b) He has decided to break off the engagement.
(c) He is in a panic because he does not know what to tell Clara.
(d) He knows she is working late and he will have time to think.
7. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
(a) Both are worried but Christopher makes light of it.
(b) Obi says he is only concerned about marrying Clara and Christopher calls him a fool.
(c) Obi does not take it too seriously but Christopher warns that he should listen to his mother.
(d) Christopher tells a story of a woman who threatened suicide but backed away.
8. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he did not ask her for money.
(b) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
(c) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(d) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
9. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Personal leave.
(b) Special leave.
(c) Local leave.
(d) Departmental leave.
10. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
(a) They mock him for going on his knees to beg Clara's forgiveness.
(b) They mock him for being over-excited and confused over a simple matter.
(c) They mock him for crying in front of all the women.
(d) They mock him for thinking that his big government car gives him privileges.
11. What feelings does Obi have when he sees his mother?
(a) He is encouraged to see her improvement.
(b) He is relieved that she is not as bad as he feared.
(c) He is full of grief over her emaciated condition.
(d) He is frightened to see how much weight she has lost.
12. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
(a) Obi says it is their country so they should have the same privileges as the British.
(b) Obi says Nigerians will show the Europeans what they are capable of.
(c) Obi says they know nothing about Nigerians.
(d) Obi says that the Europeans set the rules when no Nigerians were in the senior service.
13. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
(b) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
(c) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
(d) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
14. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
(b) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
(c) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
(d) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
15. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
(a) That she is carrying tales to Mr. Omo.
(b) That she is having an affair with a black clerk.
(c) That she is having an affair with the boss.
(d) That she is a spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi consider doing in order to meet his mounting debts after speaking with Charles Ibe?
2. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
3. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
4. What steps does Obi try to implement at home in order to curtail his expenses?
5. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)