|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
(b) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(c) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
(d) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
2. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
(b) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(c) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(d) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
3. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(b) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(c) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(d) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
4. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
(a) He makes light of it, saying all will be well if they remain quiet for a while.
(b) He suggests they go back to England and marry.
(c) He tells her they have to call off the marriage but he will be with her anyway.
(d) He says they will have to wait until things settle down.
5. What is Christopher's reaction when Obi shares with him the outcomes of his talks with his parents about marrying Clara?
(a) He tells Obi there are many alternatives to a woman like Clara.
(b) He agrees with Obi's parents saying that customs cannot be ignored.
(c) He encourages Obi to wait for time to heal the situation.
(d) He says he never liked Clara anyway.
6. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
(b) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
(c) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(d) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
7. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
(a) Mr. Omo sees Obi accepting money from a scholarship applicant at the club.
(b) An undercover policeman pays him a bribe with marked bills.
(c) Mr. Green has a spy follow Obi home and sees him accepting money.
(d) A visitor returns with a stranger who finds Obi with marked bills after paying Obi money.
8. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They kiss passionately and make up.
(b) They end up in a physical fight.
(c) They part without any resolution.
(d) They terminate the relationship.
9. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
(a) He says Clara should get help in her own village for privacy's sake.
(b) He says he cannot risk his reputation and practice over an abortion and that Obi should marry the pretty girl.
(c) He says they should go back to England where these prejudices do not exist.
(d) He says they should go to the public clinic which is cheaper.
10. How does the relationship between Obi and Marie Tomlinson develop after she witnesses Obi's distress about his finances?
(a) They have not recovered from the heated argument about Obi's unpaid debt.
(b) They have become intimate and share many activities.
(c) They have become distant and speak only about work.
(d) Obi and Marie Tomlinson are on a first-name basis and speak frankly about many things, including Mr. Green.
11. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
(a) He knows Obi is careless with details.
(b) He believes Obi will do a back door deal if Mr. Green does not watch carefully.
(c) The educated rarely think about tomorrow.
(d) He believes Obi is irresponsible.
12. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
(a) It gives him the chance to change his mind and go home instead.
(b) He knows she is working late and he will have time to think.
(c) He is in a panic because he does not know what to tell Clara.
(d) He has decided to break off the engagement.
13. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
(a) He finally accepts money to make his payments to the UPU.
(b) A prosperous Lagos businessman hands him money to get his son to England on scholarship one evening during scholarship season.
(c) Obi sleeps with a scholarship applicant and then recommends her for the scholarship.
(d) Obi accepts a bribe from a colleague whose daughter needs a scholarship.
14. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(b) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
(c) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
(d) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
15. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
(a) Mr. Green says local leave was never meant for lazy Africans.
(b) Mr. Green gives a lecture about abuse of local leave by Africans.
(c) Mr. Green threatens to reduce Obi's entitlement.
(d) Mr. Green complains about Africans being lazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
2. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
3. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
4. What does the parcel that arrives from the general hospital while Obi is at work contain?
5. While Obi tries to concentrate on work despite bad news from home, what comment about a Nigerian student does Mr. Green make while dictating a letter to Marie Tomlinson?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)