|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
(a) That Obi will not return from his visit home.
(b) That Obi will hate her for breaking off the engagement.
(c) That Obi's parents will disinherit him.
(d) That she will ruin Obi's life by coming between him and his family.
2. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
(a) She reveals that she is pregnant but wants him to leave it to her to manage it..
(b) She reveals that her parents are also against the marriage.
(c) She says she is in trouble at work but she is working things out.
(d) Clara says there is something she had wanted to tell him, but she should be able to take care of it herself.
3. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
(a) He knows Obi is careless with details.
(b) He believes Obi will do a back door deal if Mr. Green does not watch carefully.
(c) The educated rarely think about tomorrow.
(d) He believes Obi is irresponsible.
4. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(b) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(c) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(d) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
5. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(b) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
(c) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(d) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
6. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
(a) The second doctor is less caring, more business like, and more interested in money.
(b) The second doctor gives no advice but warns that abortions are illegal.
(c) The second doctor makes light of the situation and just tells them the cost.
(d) The second doctor is more understanding because he is young.
7. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
(a) Mr. Green has a spy follow Obi home and sees him accepting money.
(b) Mr. Omo sees Obi accepting money from a scholarship applicant at the club.
(c) A visitor returns with a stranger who finds Obi with marked bills after paying Obi money.
(d) An undercover policeman pays him a bribe with marked bills.
8. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
(a) A degree can make a clerk into what all Nigerians dream of becoming--more like the white man.
(b) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant with a high salary--the next best thing to being European.
(c) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant at £570 plus amenities--the next best thing to being a white man.
(d) A degree can turn a clerk into a European.
9. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
(b) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
(c) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
(d) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
10. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
(a) Mr. Green threatens to reduce Obi's entitlement.
(b) Mr. Green says local leave was never meant for lazy Africans.
(c) Mr. Green gives a lecture about abuse of local leave by Africans.
(d) Mr. Green complains about Africans being lazy.
11. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
(a) The doctor says Clara has given up on Obi.
(b) The doctor says Clara might not want to see Obi.
(c) The doctor says Clara is too angry to speak to Obi.
(d) The doctor says there is not much hope for Clara.
12. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
(a) They go to dinner and a movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
(b) They go to the movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
(c) They go dancing and to dinner at the Imperial.
(d) They go dancing at the Imperial.
13. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
(b) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
(c) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(d) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
14. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
(a) They are turned out after complaints from white tennis players.
(b) They are turned out after complaints from white nuns about colored boys on the courts.
(c) Nora's mother asks them to leave because she does not want her daughter disgraced.
(d) Obi and Christopher are asked not to visit again to prevent the girls being sent back to Ireland for going around with African men.
15. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
(a) Obi sleeps with a scholarship applicant and then recommends her for the scholarship.
(b) Obi accepts a bribe from a colleague whose daughter needs a scholarship.
(c) He finally accepts money to make his payments to the UPU.
(d) A prosperous Lagos businessman hands him money to get his son to England on scholarship one evening during scholarship season.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
2. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
3. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
4. What does the parcel that arrives from the general hospital while Obi is at work contain?
5. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)