|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(b) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(c) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(d) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
2. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
(a) They feel closer to Obi because he accepts his father's decision.
(b) They become distant because he tries to stand up to his father for an unworthy woman.
(c) They take offense because he stays in his room and they are told he is ill.
(d) They are disappointed that Obi has lost touch with them.
3. Why doesn't Obi mind when a long, noisy procession of the "Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim" delays his journey to Clara's house?
(a) He has decided to break off the engagement.
(b) He is in a panic because he does not know what to tell Clara.
(c) He knows she is working late and he will have time to think.
(d) It gives him the chance to change his mind and go home instead.
4. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
(b) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
(c) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(d) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
5. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
(b) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(c) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
(d) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
6. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They kiss passionately and make up.
(b) They terminate the relationship.
(c) They part without any resolution.
(d) They end up in a physical fight.
7. What does Obi decide to do when he learns that he might have to pay back money from his travel allowance?
(a) He decides to pay Mr. Omo to keep quiet.
(b) He decides to say he went to the Cameroons.
(c) He decides to say he lost his receipts.
(d) He decides to say he was travelling on office business.
8. How does Obi feel after he resists the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
(a) He feels wonderful because Clara sends a note agreeing to marry him.
(b) He feels wonderful because he will get a good review.
(c) He feels wonderful because he resisted his first temptation to accept a bribe.
(d) He feels wonderful because Marie says he did so well in the interview.
9. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
(b) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(c) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(d) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
10. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(b) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
(c) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
(d) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
11. When Obi goes to visit Clara in hospital, what comments by the doctor foreshadow what will happen between Clara and Obi?
(a) The doctor says there is not much hope for Clara.
(b) The doctor says Clara has given up on Obi.
(c) The doctor says Clara might not want to see Obi.
(d) The doctor says Clara is too angry to speak to Obi.
12. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
(a) Obi says he is not sure whether he should marry Clara.
(b) Obi says he wants to meet her people and start negotiations.
(c) Obi says he loves her and will marry her no matter what.
(d) Obi says he is worried about the relationship.
13. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Literary allusion.
(b) Biblical allusion.
(c) Mythological allusion.
(d) Historical allusion.
14. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
(a) They go dancing at the Imperial.
(b) They go dancing and to dinner at the Imperial.
(c) They go to the movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
(d) They go to dinner and a movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
15. What is Obi's initial response when his father forbids him to marry Clara?
(a) He insists that the Bible says in Christ there are no bond or free.
(b) He tells his father he is a hypocrite to say he is a Christian.
(c) He quotes the Bible and says he will marry Clara no matter what.
(d) He quotes the Bible and storms out of the room in anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
2. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
3. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
4. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
5. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)