|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clara say about their engagement the night before Obi goes home on leave?
(a) She suggests they postpone announcing it.
(b) She says they should make it a long one so there is time for everyone to adjust.
(c) She suggests they shorten the engagement and just get married.
(d) She says it is in everyone's best interest to call it off.
2. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
(a) Obi says that the Europeans set the rules when no Nigerians were in the senior service.
(b) Obi says it is their country so they should have the same privileges as the British.
(c) Obi says they know nothing about Nigerians.
(d) Obi says Nigerians will show the Europeans what they are capable of.
3. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
4. How do the circumstances surrounding Clara's hospitalization contribute to Obi's eventual downfall?
(a) They cause him to leave Clara and become more careless about money, finally accepting a bribe.
(b) They lead to their break-up and the worsening of his financial situation.
(c) They lead to his mother's death and Obi's decision to return to England.
(d) They lead to Clara's death, more expenses, and his loss of hope.
5. What does the parcel that arrives from the general hospital while Obi is at work contain?
(a) Clara sends him a monetary gift from her father.
(b) Clara sends him a £100 note and asks him never to pay her back.
(c) Clara sends him £50 and Obi does not know how to return the money without offending her.
(d) Clara sends him the ring asking him to return it until they can afford it.
6. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
(a) He feels lonely and disappointed bu also relieved.
(b) He is angry about losing Clara for nothing.
(c) He feels peace as his mother's memory fades.
(d) He cannot recall his mother and feels only anger.
7. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
(a) He claims that he has not been sleeping well.
(b) He claims a touch of malaria.
(c) He claims he was overworked on his leave at home.
(d) He claims distress about his mother's illness.
8. What happens to Clara after her hospitalization?
(a) She resigns her job and goes back to England.
(b) She abandons her job and disappears to her village.
(c) She takes seventy days leave and disappears.
(d) She resigns her job and goes to the Cameroons.
9. How does Marie Tomlinson respond when she sees Obi's distress about his financial situation?
(a) She says all the educated Nigerians are the same; they have no financial discipline.
(b) She offers to lend him money.
(c) She blames him for living above his means.
(d) She commiserates with him about the high costs in Nigeria.
10. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
(b) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
(c) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(d) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
11. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
(a) The insurance has to be paid much sooner than Obi expected.
(b) The insurance costs twice what Obi expected.
(c) The insurance costs £60 and Obi has £15 in the bank.
(d) The insurance costs £42 and Obi has £13 in the bank.
12. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
(a) The British tennis club.
(b) The Civil Servants' Tennis Club.
(c) The YMCA.
(d) The Catholic convent.
13. How does Obi feel after he resists the temptation to accept Mr. Mark's bribe?
(a) He feels wonderful because he resisted his first temptation to accept a bribe.
(b) He feels wonderful because Clara sends a note agreeing to marry him.
(c) He feels wonderful because Marie says he did so well in the interview.
(d) He feels wonderful because he will get a good review.
14. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
(b) Miss Tomlinson.
15. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(b) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(c) Abortions are safe but expensive.
(d) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Obi's failure to repay Clara's money?
2. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
3. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
5. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)