|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
(a) His admission that he has wronged Clara terribly and his plea for another chance.
(b) His offer to make it all up to her and take her away from the problems.
(c) His apology and his admission that there is no hope for them.
(d) His offer to marry her no matter what.
2. What is Obi's first impression of Marie Tomlinson, his co-worker at the office?
(a) That she is having an affair with a black clerk.
(b) That she is having an affair with the boss.
(c) That she is a spy.
(d) That she is carrying tales to Mr. Omo.
3. What brings a bad end to the occasion at the end of the evening after the two couples have enjoyed themselves?
(a) Obi's car is missing from the parking lot.
(b) Christopher's car is missing from the parking lot.
(c) Clara's money is missing from Obi's car.
(d) The couples are held up on their way to the car.
4. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
(a) They go to the movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
(b) They go dancing and to dinner at the Imperial.
(c) They go dancing at the Imperial.
(d) They go to dinner and a movie at the Imperial and then dancing.
5. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
(b) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
(c) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(d) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
6. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
(a) Obi says he wants to meet her people and start negotiations.
(b) Obi says he is not sure whether he should marry Clara.
(c) Obi says he is worried about the relationship.
(d) Obi says he loves her and will marry her no matter what.
7. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(b) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(c) He is sympathetic and caring.
(d) He is a callous and greedy young man.
8. How does the argument between Obi and Clara end on the night before he goes home?
(a) They part without any resolution.
(b) They kiss passionately and make up.
(c) They terminate the relationship.
(d) They end up in a physical fight.
9. What destroys Obi's hope for support from his mother for marrying Clara?
(a) Hannah threatens to kill herself if he marries Clara.
(b) The argument between Obi and Hannah makes Hannah's condition worsen.
(c) Hannah becomes boisterous and sends him away.
(d) Because Hannah curses Clara without hearing a word from Obi.
10. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
11. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(b) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
(c) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
(d) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
12. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
(b) They will want to share in his good fortune.
(c) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(d) They will want to interfere in his business.
13. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(b) Because he did not ask her for money.
(c) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
(d) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
14. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
(a) He knows Obi is careless with details.
(b) He believes Obi will do a back door deal if Mr. Green does not watch carefully.
(c) He believes Obi is irresponsible.
(d) The educated rarely think about tomorrow.
15. What story does his father share when Obi announces he will leave early to return to Lagos?
(a) How he was taken by missionaries and his father put a curse on him.
(b) He tells the story of a boy who dies after hurting his family and running away.
(c) He tells the story of a woman who dies of heartbreak after her son marries an outcast.
(d) He tells the story of a boy who marries an outcast and never finds happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Obi finally reaches Clara's house, how does he relate the outcomes of his visit home?
2. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
3. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
4. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
5. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)