|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Obi's response when Clara goes off with the doctor?
(a) Fearing losing Clara, he goes back to Christopher and breaks down emotionally.
(b) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes to work and breaks down emotionally.
(c) Fearing for Clara's life, he goes home and breaks down emotionally.
(d) Fearing losing Clara, he tries to follow the doctor's car, but gets lost and is nearly killed.
2. What are Obi's early responses to the death of his mother?
(a) He is relieved although it is too late to save the situation with Clara.
(b) He believes maybe now he can marry Clara.
(c) He is too overcome by all his troubles to feel anything for his mother.
(d) He cries like a child and feels guilty about not keeping vigil for his mother.
3. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
4. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(b) He is sympathetic and caring.
(c) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(d) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
5. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
(a) The insurance costs £60 and Obi has £15 in the bank.
(b) The insurance costs £42 and Obi has £13 in the bank.
(c) The insurance has to be paid much sooner than Obi expected.
(d) The insurance costs twice what Obi expected.
6. What does Clara say about their engagement the night before Obi goes home on leave?
(a) She suggests they postpone announcing it.
(b) She suggests they shorten the engagement and just get married.
(c) She says it is in everyone's best interest to call it off.
(d) She says they should make it a long one so there is time for everyone to adjust.
7. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Biblical allusion.
(b) Mythological allusion.
(c) Historical allusion.
(d) Literary allusion.
8. What does the author reveal about a special aspect of Nigerian culture, when the two couples go out on a date?
(a) There are three types of drinks at the bar: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(b) There are three ways of dressing to go dancing: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(c) There are three sections of the club: European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
(d) There are three ways of dancing the "High-life": European, Intimate and Ecstatic.
9. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
(b) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
(c) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
(d) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
10. What is Obi's financial situation like as he is on his way home?
(a) He has less than he needs and owes money on John's school fees.
(b) He has no money and will not be able to pay John's school fees.
(c) He has enough money because of his leave pay.
(d) He has only John's schoool fees and some small change.
11. Which friend does Christopher say will help Obi and Clara to find a doctor?
(c) Miss Tomlinson.
12. What brings Obi additional criticism when his mother dies?
(a) They hear of him forcing Clara to have an abortion.
(b) He fails to turn up in time for his mother's funeral.
(c) They hear of him getting an osu woman pregnant.
(d) People criticize the paltry funeral held for the mother of a civil servant.
13. What happens that makes Obi smile while reading that evening?
(a) Obi reads his poetry to remind him of the carefree days in London.
(b) Obi writes a poem that evening.
(c) Obi finds an old paper on which he had written a poem about Nigeria.
(d) Obi re-reads his first collection of poems written while he was studying.
14. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
(b) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(c) They will want to share in his good fortune.
(d) They will want to interfere in his business.
15. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
(a) Green believes Nigerians like Obi are lazy through and through.
(b) Green believes Nigerians have no discipline or loyalty.
(c) Green believes there is too much corruption and lack of patriotism.
(d) Green believes no Nigerian will put privilege over his country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
2. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
3. What is the first report of Obi's involvement in bribery?
4. What is Christopher's view about bribery?
5. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)