|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(b) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(c) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(d) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
2. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
3. How does Joseph show support for Obi after his mother dies?
(a) Joseph brings beer for delegations of UPU mourners who might drop by.
(b) He offers to find Clara and bring her back.
(c) He stays and talks with him through the night.
(d) He offers to go with him to the village even though it wil be after his mother's funeral.
4. How does Clara embarrass Obi when he finally sees her in the hospital?
(a) Clara turns her face to the wall in front of all the women.
(b) Clara orders Obi to leave in front of all the women.
(c) In front of all the women, Clara says she will never marry Obi
(d) In front of all the women, Clara accuses Obi of forcing her to have an abortion.
5. According to Mr. Green, what characteristic of Nigerians would prevent the country from being able to manage independence?
(a) Green believes Nigerians have no discipline or loyalty.
(b) Green believes there is too much corruption and lack of patriotism.
(c) Green believes no Nigerian will put privilege over his country.
(d) Green believes Nigerians like Obi are lazy through and through.
6. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
(a) They become distant because he tries to stand up to his father for an unworthy woman.
(b) They feel closer to Obi because he accepts his father's decision.
(c) They take offense because he stays in his room and they are told he is ill.
(d) They are disappointed that Obi has lost touch with them.
7. On what assumption does Mr. Green find it necessary to warn Obi about paying his car insurance?
(a) He knows Obi is careless with details.
(b) He believes Obi will do a back door deal if Mr. Green does not watch carefully.
(c) The educated rarely think about tomorrow.
(d) He believes Obi is irresponsible.
8. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Biblical allusion.
(b) Historical allusion.
(c) Literary allusion.
(d) Mythological allusion.
9. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
(a) He calls Okoli about another loan.
(b) He asks Mr. Omo about a salary advance.
(c) He asks Miss Tomlinson to lend him some money.
(d) He asks Mr. Green about a staff loan.
10. How does the relationship between Obi and Marie Tomlinson develop after she witnesses Obi's distress about his finances?
(a) Obi and Marie Tomlinson are on a first-name basis and speak frankly about many things, including Mr. Green.
(b) They have become distant and speak only about work.
(c) They have not recovered from the heated argument about Obi's unpaid debt.
(d) They have become intimate and share many activities.
11. What worries does Obi have about the expectations of the people at home as he makes his journey home?
(a) They will want to meet his bride-to-be.
(b) They will want to share in his good fortune.
(c) They will want to give him all sorts of embarrassing gifts.
(d) They will want to interfere in his business.
12. How does Christopher react to Obi's news that Clara might be pregnant?
(a) He comments that this is a new and serious turn of events.
(b) He comments that this shouold not encourage Obi to marry her.
(c) He immediately thinks of abortion.
(d) He comments that Obi might not be the father.
13. Where do Christopher and Obi go to play tennis with Nora and Pat?
(a) The YMCA.
(b) The Civil Servants' Tennis Club.
(c) The British tennis club.
(d) The Catholic convent.
14. How does Obi respond when his father broaches the subject of his relationship with Clara?
(a) Obi says he wants to meet her people and start negotiations.
(b) Obi says he is not sure whether he should marry Clara.
(c) Obi says he loves her and will marry her no matter what.
(d) Obi says he is worried about the relationship.
15. What is Clara's response when she hears of Elsie's role in trying to secure a scholarship?
(a) Clara is angry that Obi allowed Miss Mark to come in.
(b) Clara warns Obi about getting himself into trouble.
(c) Clara believes offering money is better than offering one's body and laughs.
(d) Clara is angry that Miss Mark came to Obi's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings a bad end to the occasion at the end of the evening after the two couples have enjoyed themselves?
2. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
3. When Obi returns to work, what comments by Mr. Green continue to reflect his disrespect for Nigerians?
4. From whom does Obi borrow money to help out with Clara's abortion?
5. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)