|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author make it clear that Obi's financial situation is deteriorating after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) He cannot find the money he promised to send to his parents.
(b) Obi finds it hard to live on what remains after paying the UPU and sending money to help his parents.
(c) He cannot find the money to pay John's fees and he owes Clara money.
(d) He has fallen into debt with the UPU and owes someone at the office.
2. How is it made clear that the matter is not over after Obi resists Mr. Mark's offer of a bribe?
(a) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
(b) Elsie, Mr. Mark's sister, visits Obi at home.
(c) Mr. Mark calls the office and threatens Obi.
(d) Mr. Mark's father turns up at the office later the same afternoon.
3. How does Obi eventually feel about his mother's death?
(a) He cannot recall his mother and feels only anger.
(b) He is angry about losing Clara for nothing.
(c) He feels peace as his mother's memory fades.
(d) He feels lonely and disappointed bu also relieved.
4. How does Obi explain his physical appearance when Miss Tomlinson says he looks run down?
(a) He claims a touch of malaria.
(b) He claims that he has not been sleeping well.
(c) He claims he was overworked on his leave at home.
(d) He claims distress about his mother's illness.
5. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(b) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
(c) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
(d) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
6. How bad is the situation when Obi's insurance bill actually arrives?
(a) The insurance costs twice what Obi expected.
(b) The insurance costs £60 and Obi has £15 in the bank.
(c) The insurance has to be paid much sooner than Obi expected.
(d) The insurance costs £42 and Obi has £13 in the bank.
7. What are the contents of the letter from Obi that Clara later returns?
(a) His admission that he has wronged Clara terribly and his plea for another chance.
(b) His offer to make it all up to her and take her away from the problems.
(c) His apology and his admission that there is no hope for them.
(d) His offer to marry her no matter what.
8. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is sympathetic and caring.
(b) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(c) He is a callous and greedy young man.
(d) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
9. When Obi arrives home, what descriptions does the author give of his parents' rooms?
(a) Both are in a disheveled condition.
(b) Isaac's room is filled with printed materials, while Hannah's is full of mundane things.
(c) Both rooms are exactly as Obi remembers them from childhood.
(d) Isaac's room has been cleared for Hannah to get more space.
10. How does Clara embarrass Obi when he finally sees her in the hospital?
(a) In front of all the women, Clara says she will never marry Obi
(b) In front of all the women, Clara accuses Obi of forcing her to have an abortion.
(c) Clara turns her face to the wall in front of all the women.
(d) Clara orders Obi to leave in front of all the women.
11. Why is Clara upset with Obi when she hears about him contemplating a bank overdraft?
(a) Because he did not ask her for money.
(b) Because he will not use money he set aside for the bride payment.
(c) Because he refuses to return the engagement ring and get back the money.
(d) Because he refuses the money offered by her parents.
12. What reason does Clara give for making her suggestion about their engagement?
(a) That Obi will hate her for breaking off the engagement.
(b) That Obi's parents will disinherit him.
(c) That she will ruin Obi's life by coming between him and his family.
(d) That Obi will not return from his visit home.
13. How does the author suggest that there is more than tennis to the relationship that Obi and Christoper have with Nora and Pat?
(a) He writes that Obi accuses Nora and Pat of racism because they rebuff their advances.
(b) He writes that Obi kisses Pat passionately and the Mother sees them.
(c) He writes that Nora rebuffs Obi's passionate kiss, saying it is a sin for Catholics.
(d) He writes that Obi and Christopher quarrel over Nora.
14. What does the incident with Clara's abortion reveal about this aspect of life in Lagos?
(a) Abortions are illegal and expensive.
(b) Abortions are inexpensive but dangerous.
(c) Everyone looks down on a girl who has an abortion.
(d) Abortions are safe but expensive.
15. What cynical feeling does Obi have about seeing how insistent the Marks family is on doing whatever it takes for Elsie to get a scholarship?
(a) A degree can make a clerk into what all Nigerians dream of becoming--more like the white man.
(b) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant at £570 plus amenities--the next best thing to being a white man.
(c) A degree can turn a clerk into a senior civil servant with a high salary--the next best thing to being European.
(d) A degree can turn a clerk into a European.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Obi try to get money from to pay back Clara's loan?
2. What causes Obi's failure to repay Clara's money?
3. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
4. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
5. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)