|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Departmental leave.
(b) Special leave.
(c) Personal leave.
(d) Local leave.
2. What causes the women to mock Obi when he visits Clara in the hospital?
(a) They mock him for going on his knees to beg Clara's forgiveness.
(b) They mock him for being over-excited and confused over a simple matter.
(c) They mock him for crying in front of all the women.
(d) They mock him for thinking that his big government car gives him privileges.
3. Why does Obi tell Christopher a story about a catechist twenty years before who was in such a hurry to marry that she cut her education short and was bitter?
(a) To demonstrate the troubles men encounter because of women.
(b) To warn Christopher about the dangers of having more than one woman.
(c) To encourage Christopher to consider becoming a Christian.
(d) To prevent Christopher from causing a woman to be bitter about being prevented from completing her studies.
4. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
(a) Historical allusion.
(b) Literary allusion.
(c) Biblical allusion.
(d) Mythological allusion.
5. After Clara and Obi discuss the situation concerning the response of his parents to their engagement, what comments of Clara foreshadow further trouble?
(a) Clara says there is something she had wanted to tell him, but she should be able to take care of it herself.
(b) She reveals that her parents are also against the marriage.
(c) She reveals that she is pregnant but wants him to leave it to her to manage it..
(d) She says she is in trouble at work but she is working things out.
6. How does Obi finally get caught for his involvement in bribery?
(a) A visitor returns with a stranger who finds Obi with marked bills after paying Obi money.
(b) Mr. Green has a spy follow Obi home and sees him accepting money.
(c) Mr. Omo sees Obi accepting money from a scholarship applicant at the club.
(d) An undercover policeman pays him a bribe with marked bills.
7. How does Obi respond to the assertions of Mr. Green and Miss Tomlinson about leave entitlements available to Africans?
(a) Obi says it is their country so they should have the same privileges as the British.
(b) Obi says that the Europeans set the rules when no Nigerians were in the senior service.
(c) Obi says Nigerians will show the Europeans what they are capable of.
(d) Obi says they know nothing about Nigerians.
8. What character traits does Christopher display in the incident when he and Obi discuss the possibility of Clara's pregnancy?
(a) He is a pragmatic young man who understands the ways of his world.
(b) He is an idealistic and simple young man.
(c) He is sympathetic and caring.
(d) He is a callous and greedy young man.
9. Despite coming to like Christopher, what does Clara fear about him?
(a) That his careless spending will rub off on Obi.
(b) That Obi will waste his money entertaining Christopher.
(c) That Chrisopher will dissuade Obi from marrying her.
(d) That his womanizing will rub off on Obi.
10. How does the second doctor that Clara and Obi visit differ from the first?
(a) The second doctor gives no advice but warns that abortions are illegal.
(b) The second doctor is more understanding because he is young.
(c) The second doctor makes light of the situation and just tells them the cost.
(d) The second doctor is less caring, more business like, and more interested in money.
11. What does the process lead Obi to decide when he examines the "mainspring of his actions" for the first time in his life?
(a) He resolves to stop making payments to the UPU until it is convenient.
(b) He decides to confess his troubles to Mr. Green and ask for help.
(c) He decides to confess his troubles to Clara's father and ask for help.
(d) He decides to confess his troubles to his father and ask for help.
12. Which girl does Christopher consider marrying except for the fact that she is going away to study?
13. How does the author use the conversation between Obi and Marie Tomlinson to broaden the portrayal of Mr. Green's character?
(a) He writes that both Miss Tomlinson and Obi find Mr. Green a good advisor.
(b) He writes that Tomlinson considers him a hypocrite and Obi believes that Green hates Africa.
(c) He writes that Miss Tomlinson finds a devout Christian and Obi believes Green has admirable qualities.
(d) He writes that Obi considers Green an oppressor and Miss Tomlinson admires Green's discipline.
14. How does Christopher deal with Obi's feelings about his mother's threat of suicide?
(a) Christopher tells a story of a woman who threatened suicide but backed away.
(b) Both are worried but Christopher makes light of it.
(c) Obi does not take it too seriously but Christopher warns that he should listen to his mother.
(d) Obi says he is only concerned about marrying Clara and Christopher calls him a fool.
15. What news from home necessitates Obi taking leave to visit his village?
(a) Obi's mother dies and his father needs support.
(b) Obi's father becomes seriously ill and his mother wants him home.
(c) One of Obi's siblings has died and the family needs him.
(d) His father writes to say Obi's mother has been hospitalized and that he needs to discuss an urgent matter with Obi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi do in an effort to find solace for his distress about Clara's situation?
2. What foreshadows trouble for Obi when evening prayers are said on the first day of his visit home?
3. Why does Marie Tomlinson become suspicious when Mr. Mark asks to speak confidentially with Obi at the office?
4. How does the first doctor respond when Clara and Obi visit him?
5. How does the author make it clear that the association between Nora and Pat, and Obi and Christopher is affected by racial issues?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)