|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(a) Assistant Matron.
(b) Nursing Sister.
(d) Assistant Nursing Sister.
2. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
(a) He asks him to consider his poor parents who are going to be disappointed.
(b) He asks him to consider the effect on the future of both Clara and himself.
(c) He asks him to consider the poor people who paid for his education.
(d) He asks Obi to consider future generations and those who paid for his education
3. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
(a) At his farewell prayer service in Lagos.
(b) In London.
(c) At Christopher's house.
(d) At Joseph's house in Lagos.
4. What expensive gadget owned by Okoli does Obi admire?
(a) A gramophone that changes records automatically.
(b) A television that records programs.
(c) A telephone that displays incoming calls.
(d) A radiogram that tapes and plays back conversations.
5. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
(a) The President's reference to rumors about Obi's plans to marry a girl of "doubtful ancestry."
(b) The comments of the elders about Obi's arrogance.
(c) The revelation that Obi has already been living above his means.
(d) The President's refusal to approve Obi's request for a grace period.
6. Why is Obi's description of the streets and market in the Lagos slum ironic?
(a) It is nothing like his life in England.
(b) It is the same life to which Obi must return after being educated.
(c) It is a far cry from the sweet Nigeria about which he writes a nostalgic poem in England.
(d) It has not changed in all the years Obi has been away.
7. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(b) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
(c) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
(d) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
8. What is Obi's full name?
(a) Obiolo St. Christopher.
(b) Obilo Isaac.
9. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Okoli.
(b) Mr. Green.
(c) Mr. Omo.
(d) Mr. Umuofia.
10. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
(a) The Mammy wagon in which he rides first class.
(b) A demonstration against a court case in Lagos.
(c) A mini bus going to a village.
(d) A boat anchored at the Lagos dock.
11. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
(b) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
(c) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(d) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
12. What is the meaning of Obi's full name?
(a) One born to woe.
(b) One who will do great things.
(c) The last of my father's children.
(d) The mind at last is at rest.
13. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
(a) That Obi will live where those who get "European jobs" live.
(b) That Obi has not brought home a white wife.
(c) That Obi has not forgotten his roots.
(d) That Obi is about to get a good job.
14. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
(a) Obi has a houseboy whom he pays £4 a month.
(b) Obi has a driver whom he hires for £10 a month.
(c) Obi has a driver, whom he hires for £4 a month.
(d) Obi has a valet whom he pays £10 a month.
15. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(b) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
(c) They go to the beach.
(d) They go dancing at Okoro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
2. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
3. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
4. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
5. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)