|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
(a) He thinks it will be good to live there when he gets his "European post."
(b) He thinks it is necessary to live there to show that he has accomplished something.
(c) It makes Obi think of the twin kernels in palm-nuts: one shiny, black, and alive, and the other powdery, white, and dead.
(d) He wants Clara to be happy when they marry and go there to live.
2. How does the author prove the assertion that Obi has been homesick while studying in England when Obi is communicating with his villagers?
(a) He enjoys the dancing and singing and is nostalgic.
(b) The celebrations cause him to become tearful and nostalgic.
(c) He sits with the elders and asks for more folk stories.
(d) He speaks Ibo whenever possible and feels shame for using English to a Nigerian.
3. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
(a) They decide not to see each other again because Clara is betrothed.
(b) They deide to leave things as they are and "see what happens" in Lagos.
(c) Obi declares his love and kisses Clara, who responds with a violent kiss.
(d) They make plans to continue their relationship.
4. What reason does Clara give for going to Obi's cabin?
(a) To ask him about the dance where he said they met.
(b) To talk about the future.
(c) To warn him that she is not interested in a relationship.
(d) To distribute seasickness tablets.
5. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(a) Nursing Sister.
(b) Assistant Nursing Sister.
(d) Assistant Matron.
6. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
(a) Reverand Joseph Isaacs.
(b) Reverend Sam Ocala.
(c) Reverend Samuel Ikedi.
(d) Reverend Umuofia.
7. What early indication does Obi see how "Dear old Nigeria really works" as the boat docks in Lagos?
(a) A young man winks at Obi's radiogram and offers to withhold the customs receipt.
(b) A young man offers to reduce the customs duty on his radiogram if Obi will sell it to him cheaply.
(c) A young man comes to Obi's cabin, assesses his radiogram at £5, and reduces it to £2 in exchange for no receipt.
(d) A young man offers to waive Obi's customs duty for an introducton to Clara.
8. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
(a) He asks Obi to consider future generations and those who paid for his education
(b) He asks him to consider the poor people who paid for his education.
(c) He asks him to consider his poor parents who are going to be disappointed.
(d) He asks him to consider the effect on the future of both Clara and himself.
9. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
(a) It is owned by an old Englishwoman.
(b) It does not sell any African food.
(c) It is completely European in style and food.
(d) It is almost empty on a Saturday evening.
10. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
(a) A returning son has not completed his studies.
(b) A returning son has divorced his wife.
(c) A returning son has married a white woman.
(d) A returning daughter has married a white man.
11. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
(a) He suggests that Obi visit Clara's parents.
(b) He agrees with Clara.
(c) He agrees with Obi.
(d) He refuses to comment because he has already wrecked a friendship by giving marital advice.
12. What is special about Obi's arrival in Onitsha, a few miles from his village?
(a) Everyone stays home from school and work to meet Obi.
(b) Village elders send a pleasure car to meet him on this special occasion.
(c) Obi's visit causes a few stares but most people go about their normal business.
(d) His father hires a bus to take all the relatives to meet him.
13. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
(a) From the Lagos slum where they went to school together.
(b) From Umuofia University.
(c) He is Clara's brother.
(d) He is Obi's former classmate.
14. What does Obi find amazing about Clara's taste in films?
(a) How she delights in on-screen killing.
(b) How she gets caught up in every lover's quarrel.
(c) How she hates British movies.
(d) How she cries at sad movies but loves to see them.
15. What is Obi's theory about corruption in Nigeria?
(a) Obi believes corruption will end when the British leave.
(b) That only foreigners in high places can stamp out corruption.
(c) Nigeria will remain corrupt until the "old Africans" are replaced by young educated men.
(d) That corruption among whites is the foundation for all corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
2. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
3. What is Obi told about the many dead dogs in the street when he visits the slum in Lagos?
4. What negative comments does Mr. Green make about Africans after his tennis match on the morning of the trial?
5. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)