|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the judge at the trial of Obi Okonkwo as the novel opens?
(a) Isaac Galloway.
(b) Sam Okoli.
(c) Christopher Josephs.
(d) Justice William Galloway.
2. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
(a) He is embarrassed at the erotic words.
(b) He is amused that it contains erotic Ibo words.
(c) He considers its meaning and is delighted when he finds out.
(d) He wants to drown the noise out so he can concentrate on his thoughts.
3. Where does Obi first articulate his theory about corruption in Nigeria?
(a) In a paper presented to the UPU.
(b) In a paper written while he was in high school.
(c) In a letter he wrote to the editor of a local newspaper.
(d) In a paper he read to the Nigerian Students' Union in London.
4. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
(a) At Osu.
(b) At Yaba with her mother.
(c) At Omuefia.
(d) At Yaba with her sister.
5. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
(a) The Mammy wagon in which he rides first class.
(b) A demonstration against a court case in Lagos.
(c) A boat anchored at the Lagos dock.
(d) A mini bus going to a village.
6. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
(a) He wishes the English could hear people engaged in Ibo conversation, enjoying life.
(b) He tells the villagers he has deliberately resisted learning English ways while he studied in England.
(c) He wishes the English could see the Nigerian culture and appreciate the customs.
(d) He compares the lively village culture with the staid, boring ways of the English.
7. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
(a) Still Waters.
(b) Word Warrior.
8. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
9. How does Joseph respond when Obi tells him of Clara's refusal to marry him because she is osu?
(a) He agrees with Obi.
(b) He refuses to comment because he has already wrecked a friendship by giving marital advice.
(c) He agrees with Clara.
(d) He suggests that Obi visit Clara's parents.
10. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
(a) They declare that Obi has been to the "land of the spirits."
(b) They declare that it is good for a man to return home.
(c) They declare that Obi is lucky to have been to hell and back.
(d) They declare that it is unfortunate that young men have to travel so far to get a good education.
11. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
(a) A returning son has married a white woman.
(b) A returning daughter has married a white man.
(c) A returning son has divorced his wife.
(d) A returning son has not completed his studies.
12. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
(a) Lagos Motor Park in the Obalende.
(b) The Motor Park in Umuofia.
(d) Umuofia Park.
13. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
(a) She does not complain when he demands traditional African food which she does not care for.
(b) She does not complain when he drags her to see war movies.
(c) She does not complain when he drags her off to tennis which she hates.
(d) She does not complain about listening to Obi read poetry or about them going to lunch with Christopher whom she dislikes.
14. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
(a) The Sand Castle restaurant.
(b) The Tennis Club restaurant.
(c) The Port Royal restaurant.
(d) The Palm Grove restaurant.
15. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
(a) They see nothing wrong with bribery.
(b) They believe that Obi's lack of experience cause him to take the money personally rather than through his houseboy.
(c) They are ashamed that their member could have brought such disgrace upon them.
(d) They are embarrassed by the discovery that they are a party to his involvement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obi find amazing about Clara's taste in films?
2. Which two people arrive as Obi and Joseph sit in the lounge at the restaurant in Chapter 4?
3. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
4. How does Joseph react to Obi telling him about the incident at the interview that causes Obi to accuse him of having a colonial mentality?
5. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)