|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go to the beach.
(b) They go dancing at Okoro.
(c) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(d) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
2. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
3. Why is Obi's description of the streets and market in the Lagos slum ironic?
(a) It has not changed in all the years Obi has been away.
(b) It is nothing like his life in England.
(c) It is the same life to which Obi must return after being educated.
(d) It is a far cry from the sweet Nigeria about which he writes a nostalgic poem in England.
4. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
(d) Port Maria.
5. Where do Obi and Clara meet again eighteen months after their first meeting?
(a) On the SS Lagos.
(b) On the MV Nigeria.
(c) On the MV Vasa.
(d) On the SS Liverpool.
6. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
7. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
(b) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
(c) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(d) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
8. How does one leader respond when Obi asks the UPU leaders to give him a four-month grace period before he has to start paying off his loan?
(a) The President warns that other returning scholars have found themselves in trouble.
(b) The President warns that Obi should not do anything to bring the UPU into disrepute.
(c) The President warns that bright young people need to learn to manage their financial affairs.
(d) The President warns that Lagos' sweetness causes the downfall of many young people.
9. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
(a) That he should not be "bone-lazy" but use his "loaf."
(b) That he hopes there will not be a quick descent into taking bribes.
(c) That he hopes he learned something in England.
(d) That he should avoid the temptation of thinking he has arrived.
10. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
(a) He calmly explains why he would never accept bribes.
(b) He bristles and considers the question useless.
(c) He remains silent until another question is asked.
(d) He insults the comissioner and leaves.
11. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
(a) The revelation that Obi has already been living above his means.
(b) The President's reference to rumors about Obi's plans to marry a girl of "doubtful ancestry."
(c) The President's refusal to approve Obi's request for a grace period.
(d) The comments of the elders about Obi's arrogance.
12. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
(a) He thinks it is necessary to live there to show that he has accomplished something.
(b) He thinks it will be good to live there when he gets his "European post."
(c) It makes Obi think of the twin kernels in palm-nuts: one shiny, black, and alive, and the other powdery, white, and dead.
(d) He wants Clara to be happy when they marry and go there to live.
13. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Umuofia.
(b) Mr. Okoli.
(c) Mr. Omo.
(d) Mr. Green.
14. From which university has Christopher received his degree?
(a) University of London.
(b) University of Cambridge.
(c) University of Oxford.
(d) London School of Economics.
15. Why is the courtroom packed with spectators at Obi Okonkwo's trial?
(a) Because he has taken so many bribes.
(b) Because he is a member of prominent political party.
(c) Because he has such a prominent position in the civil service.
(d) Because of Obi's prominence as a young scholar educated at the expense of many poor Africans.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
2. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
3. What is Christopher's usual response to Obi's comments about the civil service?
4. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
5. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)