|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What moves Obi even though he has little religion left while on the boat looking out to sea?
(a) He recalls, "I must go down to the sea again."
(b) He recalls, "And into sea He stepped with is disciples."
(c) He recalls, "They that go down to the sea in ships."
(d) He recalls, "I see my God in the sea and the sky."
2. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
(a) Reverend Samuel Ikedi.
(b) Reverend Sam Ocala.
(c) Reverend Umuofia.
(d) Reverand Joseph Isaacs.
3. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
(a) She says she is not seeing anyone.
(b) She says he is handsome.
(c) She tells him she likes him a little.
(d) She says in Ibo that they belong together.
4. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
(a) They have a special bond because he is the last child.
(b) They have a special bond because she was the one who told him old African stories.
(c) They have a special bond because he is her only son.
(d) They have a special bond since she cut her hand on a razor in his pocket.
5. What is Obi's full name?
(a) Obilo Isaac.
(d) Obiolo St. Christopher.
6. Why does the Umuofia Progressive Union meet again to discuss Obi's case on the morning of the trial?
(a) Obi is indebted to the UPU because of their funding of his education.
(b) The UPU is co-defendant in the case.
(c) Obi owes the UPU a lot of money for loans taken while he is studying.
(d) Obi is a prominent member of the UPU.
7. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
(a) The Palm Grove restaurant.
(b) The Port Royal restaurant.
(c) The Sand Castle restaurant.
(d) The Tennis Club restaurant.
8. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Mr. Omo.
(c) Mr. Umuofia.
(d) Mr. Okoli.
9. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
(a) The revelation that Obi has already been living above his means.
(b) The President's reference to rumors about Obi's plans to marry a girl of "doubtful ancestry."
(c) The comments of the elders about Obi's arrogance.
(d) The President's refusal to approve Obi's request for a grace period.
10. After his discussion with Clara and then with Joseph, how does Obi express his defiance of opposition to his marrying Clara?
(a) He obtains a marriage license and ring immediately.
(b) He asks Clara's father for her hand in marriage and gives her a ring.
(c) He drives her to Kingsway to buy an engagement ring and a Bible.
(d) He tells his parents he will marry Clara no matter what and buys her a ring.
11. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
(a) He wishes the English could see the Nigerian culture and appreciate the customs.
(b) He wishes the English could hear people engaged in Ibo conversation, enjoying life.
(c) He tells the villagers he has deliberately resisted learning English ways while he studied in England.
(d) He compares the lively village culture with the staid, boring ways of the English.
12. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
(a) At his farewell prayer service in Lagos.
(b) At Joseph's house in Lagos.
(c) At Christopher's house.
(d) In London.
13. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
(a) He considers its meaning and is delighted when he finds out.
(b) He wants to drown the noise out so he can concentrate on his thoughts.
(c) He is embarrassed at the erotic words.
(d) He is amused that it contains erotic Ibo words.
14. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
(a) Their poverty and age.
(b) Their poverty and disappointment in him.
(c) Their illness and age.
(d) Their frail health and their poverty.
15. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
(a) They declare that Obi is lucky to have been to hell and back.
(b) They declare that Obi has been to the "land of the spirits."
(c) They declare that it is unfortunate that young men have to travel so far to get a good education.
(d) They declare that it is good for a man to return home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi warned about at his farewell prayer meeting?
2. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
3. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
4. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
5. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)