|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is special about Obi's arrival in Onitsha, a few miles from his village?
(a) Obi's visit causes a few stares but most people go about their normal business.
(b) His father hires a bus to take all the relatives to meet him.
(c) Village elders send a pleasure car to meet him on this special occasion.
(d) Everyone stays home from school and work to meet Obi.
2. What reason does Clara offer for saying she cannot marry Obi?
(a) She is from the outcast village of Ofuemi.
(b) She cannot bear him children.
(c) She is already promised to a member of her tribe.
(d) She is osu.
3. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Mr. Okoli.
(c) Mr. Umuofia.
(d) Mr. Omo.
4. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
(a) Mr. MacMillan and Clara.
(b) Mr. MacMillan and Mrs. Wright.
(c) Mr. MacMillan, Stephen Udom, Mr. Jones and Clara.
(d) Mr. Jones and Mrs. Wright.
5. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
(a) She does not complain when he drags her to see war movies.
(b) She does not complain about listening to Obi read poetry or about them going to lunch with Christopher whom she dislikes.
(c) She does not complain when he drags her off to tennis which she hates.
(d) She does not complain when he demands traditional African food which she does not care for.
6. How do the older kinsmen respond after hearing Obi's stories about being at sea?
(a) They declare that Obi has been to the "land of the spirits."
(b) They declare that Obi is lucky to have been to hell and back.
(c) They declare that it is good for a man to return home.
(d) They declare that it is unfortunate that young men have to travel so far to get a good education.
7. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
(a) The comments of the elders about Obi's arrogance.
(b) The revelation that Obi has already been living above his means.
(c) The President's reference to rumors about Obi's plans to marry a girl of "doubtful ancestry."
(d) The President's refusal to approve Obi's request for a grace period.
8. How do Obi and Joseph plan to make a special entrance that will show off Obi's new car at the December meeting of the UPU?
(a) He arranges for the car to be decorated in a special way.
(b) He arranges for the welcoming committee to meet them in the parking lot.
(c) He arranges for them to arrive late.
(d) He arranges for them to park in a special spot where everyone will see their arrival.
9. What is Obi's theory about corruption in Nigeria?
(a) That corruption among whites is the foundation for all corruption.
(b) That only foreigners in high places can stamp out corruption.
(c) Obi believes corruption will end when the British leave.
(d) Nigeria will remain corrupt until the "old Africans" are replaced by young educated men.
10. Who is Obi's new boss?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Mr. Umuofia.
(c) Mr. Okoli.
(d) Mr. Omo.
11. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
(c) Still Waters.
(d) Word Warrior.
12. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
(a) They have a special bond because he is her only son.
(b) They have a special bond because he is the last child.
(c) They have a special bond since she cut her hand on a razor in his pocket.
(d) They have a special bond because she was the one who told him old African stories.
13. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
(b) He is completely rebuffed by her.
(c) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(d) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
14. How does Joseph react to Obi telling him about the incident at the interview that causes Obi to accuse him of having a colonial mentality?
(a) Joseph advises Obi to aologize to the interviewing panel.
(b) Joseph advises Obi to get a job before arguing with commissioners.
(c) Joseph says Obi will pay for his disrespect to the interviewers.
(d) Joseph says that people needing jobs cannot afford to anger employers.
15. What is Obi's full name?
(b) Obiolo St. Christopher.
(c) Obilo Isaac.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
2. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
3. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
4. What shocks Joseph about Obi while they are at the restaurant?
5. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)