|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which university has Christopher received his degree?
(a) University of Cambridge.
(b) University of Oxford.
(c) London School of Economics.
(d) University of London.
2. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
(a) Mr. MacMillan and Mrs. Wright.
(b) Mr. MacMillan, Stephen Udom, Mr. Jones and Clara.
(c) Mr. Jones and Mrs. Wright.
(d) Mr. MacMillan and Clara.
3. What early indication does Obi see how "Dear old Nigeria really works" as the boat docks in Lagos?
(a) A young man winks at Obi's radiogram and offers to withhold the customs receipt.
(b) A young man offers to waive Obi's customs duty for an introducton to Clara.
(c) A young man comes to Obi's cabin, assesses his radiogram at £5, and reduces it to £2 in exchange for no receipt.
(d) A young man offers to reduce the customs duty on his radiogram if Obi will sell it to him cheaply.
4. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
(a) That Obi has not brought home a white wife.
(b) That Obi will live where those who get "European jobs" live.
(c) That Obi has not forgotten his roots.
(d) That Obi is about to get a good job.
5. Where do Obi and Clara meet again eighteen months after their first meeting?
(a) On the MV Vasa.
(b) On the MV Nigeria.
(c) On the SS Liverpool.
(d) On the SS Lagos.
6. What expensive gadget owned by Okoli does Obi admire?
(a) A television that records programs.
(b) A gramophone that changes records automatically.
(c) A radiogram that tapes and plays back conversations.
(d) A telephone that displays incoming calls.
7. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
(a) Umuofia Park.
(b) The Motor Park in Umuofia.
(d) Lagos Motor Park in the Obalende.
8. How do Obi and Joseph plan to make a special entrance that will show off Obi's new car at the December meeting of the UPU?
(a) He arranges for the welcoming committee to meet them in the parking lot.
(b) He arranges for the car to be decorated in a special way.
(c) He arranges for them to arrive late.
(d) He arranges for them to park in a special spot where everyone will see their arrival.
9. Who is Obi's new boss?
(a) Mr. Umuofia.
(b) Mr. Omo.
(c) Mr. Okoli.
(d) Mr. Green.
10. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
11. What offensive question does the commissioner who has been sleeping in the interview ask Obi when he wakes up?
(a) Whether he can rise above the laziness of his people.
(b) How long he willl survive the system.
(c) Whether he has brought home a white wife.
(d) Whether he intends to take bribes.
12. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
(a) He is embarrassed at the erotic words.
(b) He considers its meaning and is delighted when he finds out.
(c) He is amused that it contains erotic Ibo words.
(d) He wants to drown the noise out so he can concentrate on his thoughts.
13. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
(a) They deide to leave things as they are and "see what happens" in Lagos.
(b) They decide not to see each other again because Clara is betrothed.
(c) They make plans to continue their relationship.
(d) Obi declares his love and kisses Clara, who responds with a violent kiss.
14. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
(a) Word Warrior.
(d) Still Waters.
15. What is Nigeria's real problem according to Obi in his remarks to Christopher?
(a) Too many uneducated people.
(b) Poor leadership.
(c) A shortage of bright young black men to run things.
(d) Letting old men rise to the top by bribery and then expecting to be paid off for everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
2. After his discussion with Clara and then with Joseph, how does Obi express his defiance of opposition to his marrying Clara?
3. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
4. What does Obi do while awaiting the results of his interview?
5. How is the veteran civil servant characterized when Obi first meets him and the boss comes in demanding a specific file?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)