|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
(a) A £50 study grant and a car allowance.
(b) A £50 lunch allowance and a uniform.
(c) A car advance and a £60 outfit allowance.
(d) A £50 car allowance and a uniform.
2. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
(a) He dresses casually and is heard speaking Ibo.
(b) He overdresses and talks too much.
(c) He dresses casually and makes too simple a speech.
(d) He dresses well but his speech is long and boring.
3. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
(a) He wants to drown the noise out so he can concentrate on his thoughts.
(b) He is embarrassed at the erotic words.
(c) He is amused that it contains erotic Ibo words.
(d) He considers its meaning and is delighted when he finds out.
4. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
(a) The Heart of the Matter.
(b) Things Fall Apart.
(c) My Heart is Still in Africa.
(d) The Lost Continent.
5. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He is completely rebuffed by her.
(b) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(c) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
(d) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
6. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
(c) Still Waters.
(d) Word Warrior.
7. What is Obi warned about at his farewell prayer meeting?
(a) He is to study hard and not chase white women.
(b) He is to "learn book," fear the Lord and not fall into the temptations of other young Africans.
(c) He is to go to church and stay out of trouble.
(d) He is to study hard and go often to church.
8. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Okoli.
(b) Mr. Umuofia.
(c) Mr. Omo.
(d) Mr. Green.
9. How does Joseph interpret Obi's insistence on ignoring tradition and marrying Clara?
(a) His years in England have made him resentful of African customs.
(b) His education cannot prevent him from being a fool in matters of the heart.
(c) He believes his education can excuse his disregard for tradition.
(d) Obi's upbringing and education have made him a stranger in Nigeria.
10. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
(a) Lagos Motor Park in the Obalende.
(b) The Motor Park in Umuofia.
(c) Umuofia Park.
11. Where does Joseph Okeke take Obi after the reception?
(a) The Tennis Club restaurant.
(b) The Palm Grove restaurant.
(c) The Sand Castle restaurant.
(d) The Port Royal restaurant.
12. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
(a) A boat anchored at the Lagos dock.
(b) A mini bus going to a village.
(c) The Mammy wagon in which he rides first class.
(d) A demonstration against a court case in Lagos.
13. From which university has Christopher received his degree?
(a) University of Cambridge.
(b) London School of Economics.
(c) University of Oxford.
(d) University of London.
14. What is the name of Obi's houseboy?
15. What does the encounter with bribery on the way home cause Obi to think about the situation?
(a) Obi concludes Lagos is an Augean stable and vows to clean it up.
(b) Obi wonders where to begin cleaning the Augean stable and thinks a dictator is necessary.
(c) Obi concludes that bribery is an Augean stable that only foreigners can cean up.
(d) Obi concludes that bribery is an Augean stable that requires educated people to clean it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Obi goes for his job interview with the Public Services Commission?
2. How does Obi view the luxurious residential area originally meant for Europeans but later occupied by the trickle of Africans who get European posts?
3. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
4. Who is Obi's new boss?
5. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)