|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Obi and Joseph plan to make a special entrance that will show off Obi's new car at the December meeting of the UPU?
(a) He arranges for the car to be decorated in a special way.
(b) He arranges for them to park in a special spot where everyone will see their arrival.
(c) He arranges for the welcoming committee to meet them in the parking lot.
(d) He arranges for them to arrive late.
2. What helps to cement a friendship between MacMillan and Obi?
(a) They reminisce about old days in Lagos.
(b) They reminisce about times in England.
(c) They talk about Obi's attraction to Clara.
(d) Both laugh about slipping on deck.
3. How does Obi react to a song that the traders are singing while continuing his journey home on the wagon?
(a) He is embarrassed at the erotic words.
(b) He is amused that it contains erotic Ibo words.
(c) He considers its meaning and is delighted when he finds out.
(d) He wants to drown the noise out so he can concentrate on his thoughts.
4. Where do Obi and Clara meet again eighteen months after their first meeting?
(a) On the SS Lagos.
(b) On the SS Liverpool.
(c) On the MV Nigeria.
(d) On the MV Vasa.
5. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(b) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
(c) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
(d) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
6. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
(b) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
(c) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(d) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
7. Which veteran civil servant is assigned to teach Obi about office administration?
(a) Mr. Omo.
(b) Mr. Okoli.
(c) Mr. Green.
(d) Mr. Umuofia.
8. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
(a) That he should not be "bone-lazy" but use his "loaf."
(b) That he hopes there will not be a quick descent into taking bribes.
(c) That he hopes he learned something in England.
(d) That he should avoid the temptation of thinking he has arrived.
9. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
(a) To help them to defend those charged with bribery.
(b) To help members with inheritance cases.
(c) To groom him for future political leadership.
(d) To help them with land cases.
10. What is the stance of the organization's leaders toward his involvement in bribery in the UPU's discussions about Obi's case?
(a) They believe that Obi's lack of experience cause him to take the money personally rather than through his houseboy.
(b) They see nothing wrong with bribery.
(c) They are ashamed that their member could have brought such disgrace upon them.
(d) They are embarrassed by the discovery that they are a party to his involvement.
11. According to the Vice-President, who "eats" most bribes in Nigeria?
(a) White men.
(b) Black men and white men are equally involved.
(c) Black politicians.
(d) Black men.
12. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
(a) At his farewell prayer service in Lagos.
(b) At Joseph's house in Lagos.
(c) In London.
(d) At Christopher's house.
13. How does Obi respond to the two men he meets on his first day at work?
(a) He instantly likes Mr. Omo and dislikes Mr. Green.
(b) He dislikes Mr. Green and views Mr. Omo as one of the old Africans.
(c) He instantly likes Mr. Green and ridicules Mr. Omo.
(d) He ignores Mr. Green and shows respect for Mr. Omo.
14. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(a) Assistant Matron.
(c) Assistant Nursing Sister.
(d) Nursing Sister.
15. What reminds Obi of his first day at school when he shows up at work on his first day in the civil service?
(a) How Mr. Nduka, the headmaster, reamed out the senior students in the hall.
(b) How his headmaster Mr. Nduka reamed out Mr. Jones in front of the class.
(c) How the headmaster Mr. Jones insulted Mr. Nduka.
(d) How Mr. Jones, the feared Inspector of Schools, reamed out Headmaster Simeon Nduka in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
2. What does Obi find amazing about Clara's taste in films?
3. How does one leader respond when Obi asks the UPU leaders to give him a four-month grace period before he has to start paying off his loan?
4. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
5. What negative comments does Mr. Green make about Africans after his tennis match on the morning of the trial?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)