|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two people arrive as Obi and Joseph sit in the lounge at the restaurant in Chapter 4?
(a) Sara arrives with Sam Okoli.
(b) Sara's best friend arrives with Sam Okoli.
(c) Sam and Christopher.
(d) Sam Okoli and Marie Atkinson.
2. What shocks Joseph about Obi while they are at the restaurant?
(a) He does not eat any meat.
(b) He demands traditional Nigerian food.
(c) He eats with his fingers.
(d) He drinks a lot of wine.
3. Where in Lagos does Joseph live?
(a) Umuofia Park.
(b) The Motor Park in Umuofia.
(c) Lagos Motor Park in the Obalende.
4. How does Joseph react to Obi telling him about the incident at the interview that causes Obi to accuse him of having a colonial mentality?
(a) Joseph advises Obi to aologize to the interviewing panel.
(b) Joseph advises Obi to get a job before arguing with commissioners.
(c) Joseph says that people needing jobs cannot afford to anger employers.
(d) Joseph says Obi will pay for his disrespect to the interviewers.
5. What happens when Clara and Obi return and MacMillan leaves them after going ashore to Funchal?
(a) They make plans to continue their relationship.
(b) They deide to leave things as they are and "see what happens" in Lagos.
(c) They decide not to see each other again because Clara is betrothed.
(d) Obi declares his love and kisses Clara, who responds with a violent kiss.
6. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
(b) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
(c) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(d) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
7. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
(a) To help them to defend those charged with bribery.
(b) To help them with land cases.
(c) To groom him for future political leadership.
(d) To help members with inheritance cases.
8. What is Obi warned about at his farewell prayer meeting?
(a) He is to study hard and not chase white women.
(b) He is to study hard and go often to church.
(c) He is to go to church and stay out of trouble.
(d) He is to "learn book," fear the Lord and not fall into the temptations of other young Africans.
9. How does Obi know Joseph Okeke whom he visits in Lagos before leaving for England?
(a) He is Clara's brother.
(b) From Umuofia University.
(c) From the Lagos slum where they went to school together.
(d) He is Obi's former classmate.
10. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go to the beach.
(b) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(c) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
(d) They go dancing at Okoro.
11. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
(a) My Heart is Still in Africa.
(b) Things Fall Apart.
(c) The Heart of the Matter.
(d) The Lost Continent.
12. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
(a) It does not sell any African food.
(b) It is owned by an old Englishwoman.
(c) It is completely European in style and food.
(d) It is almost empty on a Saturday evening.
13. Why is the courtroom packed with spectators at Obi Okonkwo's trial?
(a) Because he has taken so many bribes.
(b) Because he has such a prominent position in the civil service.
(c) Because he is a member of prominent political party.
(d) Because of Obi's prominence as a young scholar educated at the expense of many poor Africans.
14. What does Obi find amazing about Clara's taste in films?
(a) How she delights in on-screen killing.
(b) How she gets caught up in every lover's quarrel.
(c) How she cries at sad movies but loves to see them.
(d) How she hates British movies.
15. How is the veteran civil servant characterized when Obi first meets him and the boss comes in demanding a specific file?
(a) He is asleep at his desk and he refers to the necessity of rest at intervals during the work day.
(b) He ignores Obi and grovels at Mr. Green.
(c) He jumps to his feet, grovels, and rebukes the junior clerk.
(d) He ignores the boss and reads a newspaper,
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Obi and Clara meet again eighteen months after their first meeting?
2. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
3. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
4. What references are made to suggest that the UPU leaders are very aware of the prevalence of bribery in government circles?
5. How does the author prove the assertion that Obi has been homesick while studying in England when Obi is communicating with his villagers?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)