|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does one leader respond when Obi asks the UPU leaders to give him a four-month grace period before he has to start paying off his loan?
(a) The President warns that Lagos' sweetness causes the downfall of many young people.
(b) The President warns that other returning scholars have found themselves in trouble.
(c) The President warns that Obi should not do anything to bring the UPU into disrepute.
(d) The President warns that bright young people need to learn to manage their financial affairs.
2. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
3. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
(a) Whiskey and soda.
(b) Rum and Coke.
(c) Gin and tonic.
4. Where do Obi and Clara meet again eighteen months after their first meeting?
(a) On the MV Nigeria.
(b) On the SS Lagos.
(c) On the MV Vasa.
(d) On the SS Liverpool.
5. What is the meaning of Obi's full name?
(a) The mind at last is at rest.
(b) One born to woe.
(c) One who will do great things.
(d) The last of my father's children.
6. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
(a) She says he is handsome.
(b) She says she is not seeing anyone.
(c) She says in Ibo that they belong together.
(d) She tells him she likes him a little.
7. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
(b) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(c) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
(d) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
8. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
(a) A boat anchored at the Lagos dock.
(b) The Mammy wagon in which he rides first class.
(c) A demonstration against a court case in Lagos.
(d) A mini bus going to a village.
9. By using the expression "Augean stable", what literary device is the author using?
(a) Historical allusion.
(b) Folklore allusion.
(c) Biblical allusion.
(d) Mythological allusion.
10. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(b) He is completely rebuffed by her.
(c) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
(d) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
11. What does the encounter with bribery on the way home cause Obi to think about the situation?
(a) Obi concludes that bribery is an Augean stable that requires educated people to clean it up.
(b) Obi concludes Lagos is an Augean stable and vows to clean it up.
(c) Obi concludes that bribery is an Augean stable that only foreigners can cean up.
(d) Obi wonders where to begin cleaning the Augean stable and thinks a dictator is necessary.
12. What does Obi do while awaiting the results of his interview?
(a) He goes home to Umuofia for a short visit.
(b) He goes back to Obiajulu for a short visit.
(c) He goes to Clara's village for a short visit with her parents.
(d) He goes to the Cameroon village for a short visit.
13. How does Obi respond to the two men he meets on his first day at work?
(a) He instantly likes Mr. Green and ridicules Mr. Omo.
(b) He instantly likes Mr. Omo and dislikes Mr. Green.
(c) He ignores Mr. Green and shows respect for Mr. Omo.
(d) He dislikes Mr. Green and views Mr. Omo as one of the old Africans.
14. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
(a) His girlfriend, Clara, has a dressmaker there.
(b) To visit his friend Christopher.
(c) For a job interview.
(d) To see his uncle Okolo.
15. According to Obi, what is the best European novel written about West Africa?
(a) My Heart is Still in Africa.
(b) The Heart of the Matter.
(c) The Lost Continent.
(d) Things Fall Apart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
2. What is special about Obi's arrival in Onitsha, a few miles from his village?
3. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
4. How does the author prove the assertion that Obi has been homesick while studying in England when Obi is communicating with his villagers?
5. With whom does Obi have breakfast on the first morning on the boat?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)