|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
(a) Their frail health and their poverty.
(b) Their poverty and age.
(c) Their poverty and disappointment in him.
(d) Their illness and age.
2. What complaint does Obi make to Joseph about treatment he receives from the police when he goes out driving with Clara?
(a) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road, questioning the source of Obi's car.
(b) He hassles them when they park on Victoria Beach Road thinking Clara is the wife of someone else. someone's else's wife.
(c) He leers at Clara while they are walking on Victoria Beach Road.
(d) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road questioning how Obi can afford a driver.
3. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
(a) Port Maria.
4. What comment do the elders make about Christianity when Isaac refuses to placate the rainmaker to prevent the rain threatening Obi's homecoming?
(a) Christianity is all about convenience and man's effort to manipulate others.
(b) Christianity makes hypocrites of adherents like Isaac.
(c) Christianity is like palm-wine; it goes to some people's heads, destroying their sense.
(d) There is no point to Christianity if members like Isaac do not use it to suit others.
5. How long does Obi stay in England?
(a) A little under seven years.
(b) A little under four years.
(c) A little under six years.
(d) A little under three years.
6. What references are made to suggest that the UPU leaders are very aware of the prevalence of bribery in government circles?
(a) They talk openly about the importance of Obi making the rounds at the permanent secretaries' offices.
(b) They state that someone with Obi's qualifications should be able to sidestep the bribery route.
(c) They suggest that Obi should lose no time in making the right connections.
(d) The Chairman and Vice-President debate whether someone who knows book like Obi needs to "see" men.
7. According to the stories shared by Obi and Joseph, to which international leader did Obi write a letter while in school?
8. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(b) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
(c) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
(d) He is completely rebuffed by her.
9. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
(a) Obi has a driver, whom he hires for £4 a month.
(b) Obi has a houseboy whom he pays £4 a month.
(c) Obi has a driver whom he hires for £10 a month.
(d) Obi has a valet whom he pays £10 a month.
10. Why does Obi insist on moving in to stay with Joseph?
(a) To avoid sleeping in a bad hotel paid for by the UPU.
(b) To save money from paying a hotel bill.
(c) To avoid traveling the long distance to Umuofia.
(d) To avoid sleeping at his relative's house in the slum.
11. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
(a) He wishes the English could see the Nigerian culture and appreciate the customs.
(b) He compares the lively village culture with the staid, boring ways of the English.
(c) He wishes the English could hear people engaged in Ibo conversation, enjoying life.
(d) He tells the villagers he has deliberately resisted learning English ways while he studied in England.
12. Which two people arrive as Obi and Joseph sit in the lounge at the restaurant in Chapter 4?
(a) Sara arrives with Sam Okoli.
(b) Sam Okoli and Marie Atkinson.
(c) Sara's best friend arrives with Sam Okoli.
(d) Sam and Christopher.
13. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
(a) She does not complain when he demands traditional African food which she does not care for.
(b) She does not complain when he drags her to see war movies.
(c) She does not complain about listening to Obi read poetry or about them going to lunch with Christopher whom she dislikes.
(d) She does not complain when he drags her off to tennis which she hates.
14. What reason does Clara offer for saying she cannot marry Obi?
(a) She is already promised to a member of her tribe.
(b) She cannot bear him children.
(c) She is from the outcast village of Ofuemi.
(d) She is osu.
15. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
(a) A £50 car allowance and a uniform.
(b) A £50 study grant and a car allowance.
(c) A car advance and a £60 outfit allowance.
(d) A £50 lunch allowance and a uniform.
Short Answer Questions
1. What old nickname of Obi's is revealed while Obi and Joseph are recalling old times?
2. After his discussion with Clara and then with Joseph, how does Obi express his defiance of opposition to his marrying Clara?
3. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
4. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
5. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)