|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the UPU want Obi to study law in England?
(a) To help members with inheritance cases.
(b) To groom him for future political leadership.
(c) To help them to defend those charged with bribery.
(d) To help them with land cases.
2. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
(b) Rum and Coke.
(c) Gin and tonic.
(d) Whiskey and soda.
3. What are the villagers particularly happy about?
(a) That Obi has not forgotten his roots.
(b) That Obi is about to get a good job.
(c) That Obi will live where those who get "European jobs" live.
(d) That Obi has not brought home a white wife.
4. Which two people arrive as Obi and Joseph sit in the lounge at the restaurant in Chapter 4?
(a) Sara arrives with Sam Okoli.
(b) Sara's best friend arrives with Sam Okoli.
(c) Sam and Christopher.
(d) Sam Okoli and Marie Atkinson.
5. By using the expression "Augean stable", what literary device is the author using?
(a) Biblical allusion.
(b) Historical allusion.
(c) Mythological allusion.
(d) Folklore allusion.
6. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
(a) Obi has a houseboy whom he pays £4 a month.
(b) Obi has a driver whom he hires for £10 a month.
(c) Obi has a valet whom he pays £10 a month.
(d) Obi has a driver, whom he hires for £4 a month.
7. Why does Obi hope to receive support from his mother for his plan to marry Clara?
(a) They have a special bond because he is her only son.
(b) They have a special bond since she cut her hand on a razor in his pocket.
(c) They have a special bond because she was the one who told him old African stories.
(d) They have a special bond because he is the last child.
8. For which island is the boat heading when Jones recites, "Water, water everywhere; but not a drop to drink"?
9. Where does Obi first articulate his theory about corruption in Nigeria?
(a) In a letter he wrote to the editor of a local newspaper.
(b) In a paper written while he was in high school.
(c) In a paper presented to the UPU.
(d) In a paper he read to the Nigerian Students' Union in London.
10. What references are made to suggest that the UPU leaders are very aware of the prevalence of bribery in government circles?
(a) They talk openly about the importance of Obi making the rounds at the permanent secretaries' offices.
(b) They state that someone with Obi's qualifications should be able to sidestep the bribery route.
(c) The Chairman and Vice-President debate whether someone who knows book like Obi needs to "see" men.
(d) They suggest that Obi should lose no time in making the right connections.
11. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(b) Assistant Nursing Sister.
(c) Assistant Matron.
(d) Nursing Sister.
12. Why is the courtroom packed with spectators at Obi Okonkwo's trial?
(a) Because of Obi's prominence as a young scholar educated at the expense of many poor Africans.
(b) Because he is a member of prominent political party.
(c) Because he has taken so many bribes.
(d) Because he has such a prominent position in the civil service.
13. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
(a) At his farewell prayer service in Lagos.
(b) At Christopher's house.
(c) At Joseph's house in Lagos.
(d) In London.
14. What is Obi's full name?
(a) Obiolo St. Christopher.
(d) Obilo Isaac.
15. Why does Clara imply that Obi should not complain when he complains about seeing "good movies?"
(a) She does not complain about listening to Obi read poetry or about them going to lunch with Christopher whom she dislikes.
(b) She does not complain when he drags her to see war movies.
(c) She does not complain when he demands traditional African food which she does not care for.
(d) She does not complain when he drags her off to tennis which she hates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
2. What bothers Obi when he sees his parents when he goes home?
3. How is Obi subtly reminded of his debt to the UPU at the reception?
4. Although Clara is businesslike when she visits Obi's cabin, what gives him hope that she is interested?
5. According to the author's comments, why are some people's faces sullen as they wait to greet travelers returning?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)