|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(b) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
(c) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
(d) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
2. What is special about Obi's arrival in Onitsha, a few miles from his village?
(a) Village elders send a pleasure car to meet him on this special occasion.
(b) Obi's visit causes a few stares but most people go about their normal business.
(c) His father hires a bus to take all the relatives to meet him.
(d) Everyone stays home from school and work to meet Obi.
3. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
(a) He tells the villagers he has deliberately resisted learning English ways while he studied in England.
(b) He compares the lively village culture with the staid, boring ways of the English.
(c) He wishes the English could hear people engaged in Ibo conversation, enjoying life.
(d) He wishes the English could see the Nigerian culture and appreciate the customs.
4. Who is Obi's new boss?
(a) Mr. Umuofia.
(b) Mr. Okoli.
(c) Mr. Green.
(d) Mr. Omo.
5. Where does the boat anchor to allow the passengers to watch boys diving for coins?
(b) Port Maria.
6. Why do Christopher and Obi eat with their fingers while at Obi's house?
(a) They find it tastes better and throw off the pretense that it is uncivilized.
(b) They do not care what they do at home even though elsewhere they observe customs.
(c) The houseboy insists that this is the way to eat the food he cooks.
(d) It makes them feel they are really back home.
7. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(b) They go to the beach.
(c) They go dancing at Okoro.
(d) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
8. How does Joseph respond upon hearing that Obi has purchased a ring for Clara?
(a) He asks him to consider his poor parents who are going to be disappointed.
(b) He asks him to consider the poor people who paid for his education.
(c) He asks him to consider the effect on the future of both Clara and himself.
(d) He asks Obi to consider future generations and those who paid for his education
9. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
(a) That he should avoid the temptation of thinking he has arrived.
(b) That he hopes there will not be a quick descent into taking bribes.
(c) That he should not be "bone-lazy" but use his "loaf."
(d) That he hopes he learned something in England.
10. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
(a) Rum and Coke.
(c) Gin and tonic.
(d) Whiskey and soda.
11. What does the encounter with bribery on the way home cause Obi to think about the situation?
(a) Obi wonders where to begin cleaning the Augean stable and thinks a dictator is necessary.
(b) Obi concludes that bribery is an Augean stable that only foreigners can cean up.
(c) Obi concludes that bribery is an Augean stable that requires educated people to clean it up.
(d) Obi concludes Lagos is an Augean stable and vows to clean it up.
12. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
(a) It is almost empty on a Saturday evening.
(b) It is completely European in style and food.
(c) It is owned by an old Englishwoman.
(d) It does not sell any African food.
13. What is "God's Case no Appeal" that Obi comes across on the way home to await his interview results?
(a) A boat anchored at the Lagos dock.
(b) A demonstration against a court case in Lagos.
(c) A mini bus going to a village.
(d) The Mammy wagon in which he rides first class.
14. What descriptive passage communicates the setting and culture in the Onitsha market?
(a) To the sound of blaring local music, men are selling a concoction, women sell garri, and give to a dancing beggar.
(b) Children are dancing and playing drums while women sell garri.
(c) Drunken men swagger in the street while women flirt and dance.
(d) There is a dancing beggar and men who sell "Long Life Mixture."
15. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
(a) He remains silent until another question is asked.
(b) He calmly explains why he would never accept bribes.
(c) He bristles and considers the question useless.
(d) He insults the comissioner and leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Obi warned about at his farewell prayer meeting?
2. What new expense does Obi assume when he gets his new car that suggests another symbol of his status?
3. What offensive question does the commissioner who has been sleeping in the interview ask Obi when he wakes up?
4. From which university has Christopher received his degree?
5. What reminds Obi of England during his reception for which hundreds turn out?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)