|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is special about Obi's arrival in Onitsha, a few miles from his village?
(a) Obi's visit causes a few stares but most people go about their normal business.
(b) Village elders send a pleasure car to meet him on this special occasion.
(c) His father hires a bus to take all the relatives to meet him.
(d) Everyone stays home from school and work to meet Obi.
2. What immediate financial benefits does Obi receive when he receives his letter of appointment?
(a) A £50 study grant and a car allowance.
(b) A £50 lunch allowance and a uniform.
(c) A car advance and a £60 outfit allowance.
(d) A £50 car allowance and a uniform.
3. How does Obi try to help with the family's situation?
(a) He promises to send a lump sum each month to cover their big expenses.
(b) He promises to send monthly sums to pay Charity's fees.
(c) He promises to send money each month to help his parents and to pay his brother's school fees.
(d) He promises to send money for food and medicine.
4. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
(a) It is owned by an old Englishwoman.
(b) It is completely European in style and food.
(c) It does not sell any African food.
(d) It is almost empty on a Saturday evening.
5. What is Obi's full name?
(c) Obiolo St. Christopher.
(d) Obilo Isaac.
6. What complaint does Obi make to Joseph about treatment he receives from the police when he goes out driving with Clara?
(a) He leers at Clara while they are walking on Victoria Beach Road.
(b) He hassles them when they park on Victoria Beach Road thinking Clara is the wife of someone else. someone's else's wife.
(c) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road questioning how Obi can afford a driver.
(d) He hassles them on Victoria Beach Road, questioning the source of Obi's car.
7. What offensive question does the commissioner who has been sleeping in the interview ask Obi when he wakes up?
(a) How long he willl survive the system.
(b) Whether he has brought home a white wife.
(c) Whether he intends to take bribes.
(d) Whether he can rise above the laziness of his people.
8. What makes Obi go to a slum in Lagos when he returns from England?
(a) To see his uncle Okolo.
(b) For a job interview.
(c) To visit his friend Christopher.
(d) His girlfriend, Clara, has a dressmaker there.
9. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He is completely rebuffed by her.
(b) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(c) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
(d) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
10. Where does Obi take Clara to celebrate his new car?
(a) They go to Okala for a special dinner.
(b) They go to the beach.
(c) They go to Ikeja for a special dinner.
(d) They go dancing at Okoro.
11. What new post has Clara been offered while Obi has been dealing with his new job?
(b) Nursing Sister.
(c) Assistant Nursing Sister.
(d) Assistant Matron.
12. What descriptive passage communicates the setting and culture in the Onitsha market?
(a) To the sound of blaring local music, men are selling a concoction, women sell garri, and give to a dancing beggar.
(b) Drunken men swagger in the street while women flirt and dance.
(c) There is a dancing beggar and men who sell "Long Life Mixture."
(d) Children are dancing and playing drums while women sell garri.
13. Who chairs the prayer meeting that Obi's parents called before Obi goes to England?
(a) Reverend Samuel Ikedi.
(b) Reverend Sam Ocala.
(c) Reverand Joseph Isaacs.
(d) Reverend Umuofia.
14. How does the author prove the assertion that Obi has been homesick while studying in England when Obi is communicating with his villagers?
(a) The celebrations cause him to become tearful and nostalgic.
(b) He enjoys the dancing and singing and is nostalgic.
(c) He sits with the elders and asks for more folk stories.
(d) He speaks Ibo whenever possible and feels shame for using English to a Nigerian.
15. What two big mistakes does Obi make at the big reception that the UPU holds for Obi on Saturday?
(a) He dresses casually and makes too simple a speech.
(b) He overdresses and talks too much.
(c) He dresses well but his speech is long and boring.
(d) He dresses casually and is heard speaking Ibo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Obi stay in England?
2. Why does the Umuofia Progressive Union meet again to discuss Obi's case on the morning of the trial?
3. What causes Obi to storm out of the December UPU meeting in anger, intending not to return?
4. Which two people arrive as Obi and Joseph sit in the lounge at the restaurant in Chapter 4?
5. What does the encounter with bribery on the way home cause Obi to think about the situation?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)