|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 12-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Obi is home enjoying his interaction with his kinsmen, what thoughts does he have that indicate that he harbors resentment against the British?
(a) He compares the lively village culture with the staid, boring ways of the English.
(b) He wishes the English could see the Nigerian culture and appreciate the customs.
(c) He tells the villagers he has deliberately resisted learning English ways while he studied in England.
(d) He wishes the English could hear people engaged in Ibo conversation, enjoying life.
2. What warning does Obi's new boss give him when the two are introduced?
(a) That he hopes there will not be a quick descent into taking bribes.
(b) That he should avoid the temptation of thinking he has arrived.
(c) That he hopes he learned something in England.
(d) That he should not be "bone-lazy" but use his "loaf."
3. How do the visitors at Obi's home react after he has been there a couple of days?
(a) They take offense because he stays in his room and they are told he is ill.
(b) They are disappointed that Obi has lost touch with them.
(c) They feel closer to Obi because he accepts his father's decision.
(d) They become distant because he tries to stand up to his father for an unworthy woman.
4. How does Obi react when the commissioner asks him the offensive question?
(a) He remains silent until another question is asked.
(b) He insults the comissioner and leaves.
(c) He bristles and considers the question useless.
(d) He calmly explains why he would never accept bribes.
5. To which literary character does Obi compare Mr. Green?
(a) Hamlet in Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(b) Kurtz in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
(c) Pip in "Great Expectations."
(d) Mr. Darcy in "Pride & Prejudice."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Clara and Obi go with Christopher and his new girlfriend, Bisi?
2. By using the expression "Augean stable", what literary device is the author using?
3. Where has Clara been living since returning to Nigeria?
4. Why do Christopher and Obi eat with their fingers while at Obi's house?
5. What is Christopher's response to hearing that Obi turned down advances from Elsie Mark?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)