|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 12-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clara say about their engagement the night before Obi goes home on leave?
(a) She suggests they postpone announcing it.
(b) She says it is in everyone's best interest to call it off.
(c) She suggests they shorten the engagement and just get married.
(d) She says they should make it a long one so there is time for everyone to adjust.
2. What happens to Obi when he meets Clara for the first time?
(a) He is interested but cannot pursue her because he already has a date.
(b) He is completely rebuffed by her.
(c) He is tongue-tied and steps on her feet while dancing.
(d) He overlooks her beauty and only realizes he is interested in her after she is gone.
3. For what kind of leave does Obi apply when he has to go home to deal with the news he receives?
(a) Departmental leave.
(b) Special leave.
(c) Personal leave.
(d) Local leave.
4. What surprises Obi and Joseph about the restaurant?
(a) It does not sell any African food.
(b) It is almost empty on a Saturday evening.
(c) It is completely European in style and food.
(d) It is owned by an old Englishwoman.
5. What is Obi's response when he and Clara go walking and she suddenly announces they cannot marry?
(a) He says he will pay more money for her.
(b) He laughts at her, knowing she is joking.
(c) He thinks she is being coy.
(d) He calls it nonsense.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Obi and Clara go out for drinks with Minister of State, Okoli, what does the Minister drink?
2. According to a flashback, where does Obi first meet Clara?
3. What literary device does the author use in the reference to Pilate in describing Isaac's attitude to "the written word?"
4. What moves Obi even though he has little religion left while on the boat looking out to sea?
5. How do Obi and Joseph plan to make a special entrance that will show off Obi's new car at the December meeting of the UPU?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)