|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who work at a Starbucks or a Borders are working there until they can __________________.
2. Which female magazine decided to go advertisement free in order to show its support of women and their own right to decide what they want to buy?
3. Those against corporations have been joined by those who are fighting for the ___________ as many of the issues are the same.
4. The new economy now includes a large number of permanent _________ and executives who earn large salaries and get stock options.
5. What was the Criminal Justice Act designed to stop from happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is culture jamming and what does it do for society?
2. How does the health care industry begin to incorporate the idea of impermanent workers?
3. What was the primary goal of the RTF, or Reclaim the Streets, movement which began in England?
4. What do governments in third world countries offer to American companies as incentives to move their production there?
5. How is the arrangement of the sweatshops said to be contractual and to absolve management from responsibility?
6. What is the broader goal of culture jamming, according to Klein in her book?
7. Why are the factories themselves walled off from the rest of the world and the general population of the area?
8. Why do businesses say that promoting a brand is an expensive business, according to Klein in her book?
9. How has billboard jamming been reborn in times of Internet and other forms of advertising?
10. Which three companies were the subject of attacks from activist groups in the 1990s, getting a lot of publicity for their poor business practices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of culture jamming helps people see just how ridiculous the advertising campaigns can be and what they are actually trying to sell us.
Part 1: Why do you think culture jamming became a new activist strategy?
Part 2: Do you think culture jamming is effective in terms of changing marketing?
Part 3: Would you be less likely to buy a product which had an advertisement changed?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of the branded loop is one in which customers can find themselves feeling trapped.
Part 1: Explain what the concept of the branded loop is, what it means, and how it impacts shopping.
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for companies to have so many opportunities to sell the same items again and again?
Part 3: Why do you think companies always look for ways to resell to customers? Is this necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Companies research the customers they expect to have, trying to learn more about their habits, their goals, and their ideas about life.
Part 1: Why do you think this customer research is so important for companies to do?
Part 2: How do you think advertising might be different if the research wasn't being done by the companies?
Part 3: Does it seem to be fair to research customers in order to tailor advertisements to their needs?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)