|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Workers, both skilled and unskilled, do not embrace _________ to their employers anymore, it seems.
2. Many of the jobs in the ________ industry are still available, though they have been reduced to part time.
3. The National _________ Committee has been the most successful in creating cracks in the branded economy.
4. Microsoft required its temporary employees to take _________ days off during the course of a year, unpaid, to keep their temporary status.
5. Reverend Butts began his adbusting by __________ billboards in order to remove them from sight.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which three companies were the subject of attacks from activist groups in the 1990s, getting a lot of publicity for their poor business practices?
2. What was the technique used by reporters to help expose the atrocities of factory conditions?
3. Why do businesses say that promoting a brand is an expensive business, according to Klein in her book?
4. How is the arrangement of the sweatshops said to be contractual and to absolve management from responsibility?
5. What does Klein say is the new corporate philosophy since the introduction of branding?
6. What is the focus of the Adbuster activities now rather than just focusing on the content or the techniques of advertisers?
7. What are some of the examples of the impermanence of jobs in the United States, according to Klein?
8. What do governments in third world countries offer to American companies as incentives to move their production there?
9. How did the National Labor Committee begin to expose the atrocities taking place in factories around the world?
10. What is the broader goal of culture jamming, according to Klein in her book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Internet now can custom tailor a person's online experience by posting ads relating to keywords the computer user has used before.
Part 1: Why do you think advertising is so prevalent online today?
Part 2: How do you think advertisers are being too heavy handed in their advertising online today?
Part 3: Do you think you have bought more items today because of Internet advertising?
Essay Topic 2
The teenager became the focus of advertising in the early 1990s, as companies began to realize the long term effectiveness of such a campaign.
Part 1: Why do you think the teenager is an important consumer group?
Part 2: Do you think the teenager is an important consumer group today as well? Why or why not?
Part 3: What group is the focus of many marketing campaigns today, in your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Companies research the customers they expect to have, trying to learn more about their habits, their goals, and their ideas about life.
Part 1: Why do you think this customer research is so important for companies to do?
Part 2: How do you think advertising might be different if the research wasn't being done by the companies?
Part 3: Does it seem to be fair to research customers in order to tailor advertisements to their needs?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)