|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the jobs in the ________ industry are still available, though they have been reduced to part time.
2. The compounds where the factories are based include a number of amenities when __________ management must be there.
3. The Critical _________ bike rides was a movement which began in San Francisco in 1992 and spread throughout the globe.
4. The _________ culture is one of the places where culture jamming seems to have become a trendy way to improve sales.
5. Foreign countries want to draw in foreign investors, so they have set up _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the activities that the RTF group would do in order to reclaim public space?
2. What is the overall concept behind corporate and culture jamming?
3. What are the two fronts on which the retailers are winning in terms of paying production and retail workers?
4. What is the focus of the Adbuster activities now rather than just focusing on the content or the techniques of advertisers?
5. What do governments in third world countries offer to American companies as incentives to move their production there?
6. What is the broader goal of culture jamming, according to Klein in her book?
7. How is the arrangement of the sweatshops said to be contractual and to absolve management from responsibility?
8. Why do businesses say that promoting a brand is an expensive business, according to Klein in her book?
9. What might an American manager of a foreign factory be able to enjoy in this factory zone?
10. What is the value of using cheaper labor in different countries around the world, according to some businesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The teenager became the focus of advertising in the early 1990s, as companies began to realize the long term effectiveness of such a campaign.
Part 1: Why do you think the teenager is an important consumer group?
Part 2: Do you think the teenager is an important consumer group today as well? Why or why not?
Part 3: What group is the focus of many marketing campaigns today, in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Over time, the concept of a sweatshop was attacked and many shops now have strict working policies in effect.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of a sweatshop is still appealing to some companies?
Part 2: Do you think that workers should always be paid fairly for the work they do?
Part 3: How do you think social activism has helped or hindered the concept of sweatshops in the world?
Essay Topic 3
American corporations are now buying items made elsewhere and creating a brand to make them more exciting to sell.
Part 1: What do you think about the idea of products being made in other countries?
Part 2: How do you think the American people suffer from not having products made in the United States?
Part 3: Why do you think businesses want to have production done overseas instead of in the country?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)