|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Rwandan genocide teach Tutu?
2. Why did Tutu meet Botha in 1988?
3. What does Tutu say many people do not want to expose?
4. Tutu expressed that no one can be ______________and be alone.
5. What does Tutu say some black South Africans were forced to do in order to keep their family safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tutu admit regarding the Anglican Church?
2. What were some black South Africans pressed into infiltrating?
3. What did Rwanda teach Tutu about genocide in "Chapter Eleven, Without Forgiveness There Really Is No Future"?
4. How were individuals, the economy, and animals affected by apartheid terrorism?
5. What did Tutu encourage the TRC workers and commissioners to do?
6. What were TRC workers and commissioners encouraged to do by health staff according to the "Postscript"?
7. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa?
8. What accusation was made against a commissioner and how was it handled?
9. Where was Tutu's message unpopular and why?
10. What was the worst thing about apartheid according to Tutu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Tutu's focus on forgiveness and reconciliation and why it would be difficult in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the history of apartheid in South Africa and discuss why it was started, its implications, and how it ended.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of President Botha in South Africa and his role in the TRC hearings.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)