|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Tutu find out about having cancer?
2. Why do some ANC members have to go before the TRC commission?
3. What reason does Tutu give for people in Rwanda listening to him?
4. What does Tutu state cannot be found in South Africa today?
5. What did Tutu criticize in Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tutu wonder about God in "Chapter Seven, We Do Want to Forgive, But We Don't Know Whom to Forgive"?
2. What did Rwanda teach Tutu about genocide in "Chapter Eleven, Without Forgiveness There Really Is No Future"?
3. How were individuals, the economy, and animals affected by apartheid terrorism?
4. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa?
5. What did Tutu admit regarding the Anglican Church?
6. Why did Winnie Mandela want the hearing to be open to the public in "Chapter Eight, This is My Brother, I Know These Shoes"?
7. What did Tutu say was a profound sin?
8. What accusation was made against a commissioner and how was it handled?
9. What does everyone have the capacity for according to Tutu?
10. Whose confessions implicated Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's ex-wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the genocide in Rwanda with that of South Africa, examining the similarities and differences between genocide in the two countries.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of conformity among apartheid supporters and the white Afrikaner minority.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Nelson Mandela and examine his importance in ending apartheid.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)