|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church is Desmond Tutu a part of?
2. What does the prime minister convince the white population it was in their best interest to do?
3. Why was the TRC not popular in some parts according to Tutu?
4. How old was Tutu in 1994?
5. According to Tutu, voting in South Africa was _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the South African people have to figure out according to Tutu?
2. Where was the TRC's center and why was it at this location?
3. What did Tutu marvel at?
4. Why was April 27, 1994 significant according to "Chapter One, The Prelude"?
5. What happened on the first day of TRC hearings?
6. What do theology and the witness of Jesus show according to Tutu?
7. What was the TRC charged with according to "Chapter Six, A Victim Hearing"?
8. What despotic ruler wanted blanket amnesty?
9. Why did Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd come under attack?
10. What was still in force when Desmond Tutu became Archbishop in 1986?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the education received by black South Africans under apartheid and what steps have been taken to resolve the educational issues since the end of apartheid.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the flaws of the TRC as discussed by Tutu and examine why each was significant to the hearings regarding apartheid.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd and his role in the segregated education system in South Africa.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)