|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tutu say Mandela's wife benefited from between 1992 and 1996?
(a) White control.
(b) The ANC donations.
(c) The imprisonment of Nelson Mandela.
(d) Killings and assaults committed by her bodyguards.
2. What happened on August, 1988?
(a) Adriaan Vlok was elected in office.
(b) A bomb exploded in the Khotso House.
(c) Mandela was jailed.
(d) Soweto was bulldozed.
3. Why did Tutu fight to prevent the TRC from giving a special hearing to the ANC?
(a) The ANC had already held its hearing.
(b) To avoid looking like a lackey of the ANC.
(c) The TRC didn't have the time.
(d) Tutu wanted to keep the ANC out of the TRC hearings.
4. What did Tutu wonder he should have done according to "Chapter Nine, Why The Heck Am I Doing This Thankless Job"?
(b) Have his head examined.
(c) Run for president.
(d) Resign his commission.
5. Why was the TRC's neutrality questioned at the start of its mandate?
(a) Many staff were white.
(b) The TRC was all black.
(c) The judges had no experience.
(d) Mandela refused to testify.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the racist government of South Africa supported by Britain and the United States ?
2. What did Adriaan Vlok admit at his TRC hearing?
3. What does Tutu say many people do not want to expose?
4. What does Tutu state cannot be found in South Africa today?
5. What did Winnie Mandela's bodyguard plead guilty to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Tutu's message unpopular and why?
2. Whose confessions implicated Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's ex-wife?
3. What happened on August 31, 1988?
4. What did Rwanda teach Tutu about genocide in "Chapter Eleven, Without Forgiveness There Really Is No Future"?
5. Why did Winnie Mandela want the hearing to be open to the public in "Chapter Eight, This is My Brother, I Know These Shoes"?
6. What did Tutu admit about conditioning?
7. What did Tutu encourage the TRC workers and commissioners to do?
8. What did Tutu find out about himself in 1997?
9. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa?
10. What did Tutu see as the greatest weakness of the TRC?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)