|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the racist government of South Africa supported by Britain and the United States ?
(a) They had oil reserves.
(b) They were a nuclear power.
(c) They were buying a lot of military equipment.
(d) It was were anti-communist.
2. Who followed the TRC workers and commissioners, according to the "Postscript"?
(c) Mental health staff.
3. Why did Tutu fight to prevent the TRC from giving a special hearing to the ANC?
(a) The TRC didn't have the time.
(b) The ANC had already held its hearing.
(c) To avoid looking like a lackey of the ANC.
(d) Tutu wanted to keep the ANC out of the TRC hearings.
4. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa according to Tutu?
(a) Blacks were creating laws against the whites.
(b) Massive wealth inequalities between white and blacks.
(c) Nelson Mandela died.
(d) Whites tried to take power.
5. What does Tutu maintain oppressors can do to their victims?
(a) Make them feel worthless.
(b) Torture them.
(c) Make them doubt they are children of God.
(d) Kill them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tutu do while Winnie Mandela was in exile?
2. Why does Tutu say many accepted the apartheid system?
3. What did Tutu's cancer help him do?
4. Tutu expressed that no one can be ______________and be alone.
5. What happened in Israel in the late 90's according to Tutu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the worst thing about apartheid according to Tutu?
2. What did Tutu see as the greatest weakness of the TRC?
3. What did Tutu wonder about God in "Chapter Seven, We Do Want to Forgive, But We Don't Know Whom to Forgive"?
4. What did Tutu say was shocking in "Chapter Ten, We Did Not Know"?
5. What does everyone have the capacity for according to Tutu?
6. What did Tutu say was a profound sin?
7. What were TRC workers and commissioners encouraged to do by health staff according to the "Postscript"?
8. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa?
9. What did Tutu find out about himself in 1997?
10. Whose confessions implicated Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's ex-wife?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)