|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people died due to Apartheid terrorism?
(a) 1.25 million.
(b) 3.5 millions.
(c) 1.5 million.
(d) 0.5 million.
2. Why was the TRC's neutrality questioned at the start of its mandate?
(a) Mandela refused to testify.
(b) The judges had no experience.
(c) The TRC was all black.
(d) Many staff were white.
3. According to Tutu, what had helped him manage the fallout of the TRC problems?
(a) Control over the media.
(c) A good media director.
(d) Self confidence.
4. What does Tutu say the rebels did during apartheid?
(a) Kidnapped school teachers.
(b) Went to church.
(c) Killed children.
(d) Became as brutal as their oppressors.
5. What did the Rwandan genocide teach Tutu?
(a) Racism is not the only reason for genocide.
(b) Restorative justice is not good.
(c) Rwanda needed more clergy.
(d) Genocide happens everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in Israel in the late 90's according to Tutu?
2. What was the other name of Winnie Mandela's bodyguard team?
3. What were TRC workers and commissioners encouraged to have?
4. What did the man in one of the TRC cases do after smelling the burning corpse of a murdered victim?
5. What was forgiveness NOT according to Tutu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose confessions implicated Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's ex-wife?
2. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa?
3. What did Tutu wonder about himself in "Chapter Nine, Why The Heck Am I Doing This Thankless Job?"
4. What accusation was made against a commissioner and how was it handled?
5. What does everyone have the capacity for according to Tutu?
6. What did Tutu see as the greatest weakness of the TRC?
7. What did Tutu encourage the TRC workers and commissioners to do?
8. How were individuals, the economy, and animals affected by apartheid terrorism?
9. Where was Tutu's message unpopular and why?
10. What did Tutu say was shocking in "Chapter Ten, We Did Not Know"?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)