|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do some ANC members have to go before the TRC commission?
(a) To testify against Winnie Mandela.
(b) To justify the killing of white school children.
(c) Because of bombings by the ANC.
(d) To testify against prison guards.
2. Who many elephants and rhinos died due to apartheid terrorism?
3. Why was the racist government of South Africa supported by Britain and the United States ?
(a) They were a nuclear power.
(b) It was were anti-communist.
(c) They had oil reserves.
(d) They were buying a lot of military equipment.
4. What did Tutu encourage TRC workers and commissioners to deal with?
(a) Their feelings.
(b) Their enemies.
(c) Their friends.
(d) Their family.
5. How was the African Defense Force used prior to 1994?
(a) To stop "Communism" by president Botha.
(b) To patrol black slums.
(c) To eliminate political opponents.
(d) To deport black people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tutu say Mandela's wife benefited from between 1992 and 1996?
2. What does Tutu say many people do not want to expose?
3. What happened during a hearing that made the media wonder if Tutu was the right man to head the TRC?
4. What was the other name of Winnie Mandela's bodyguard team?
5. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa according to Tutu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were TRC workers and commissioners encouraged to do by health staff according to the "Postscript"?
2. Why did Winnie Mandela want the hearing to be open to the public in "Chapter Eight, This is My Brother, I Know These Shoes"?
3. What does everyone have the capacity for according to Tutu?
4. Whose confessions implicated Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's ex-wife?
5. Why were the interpreters shattered?
6. What does Tutu caution about forgiveness?
7. What did Tutu see as the greatest weakness of the TRC?
8. What did Tutu admit about conditioning?
9. What did Tutu wonder about himself in "Chapter Nine, Why The Heck Am I Doing This Thankless Job?"
10. What did Tutu say was a profound sin?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)