|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tutu expressed that no one can be ______________and be alone.
2. What did Tutu criticize in Israel?
(a) Its war against Libya.
(b) Its bombing of Iran.
(c) Israel treatment of Palestinians.
(d) Israel's treatment of women.
3. What happened to Botha between 1988 and his hearing before the TRC?
(a) He suffered a stroke.
(b) He killed a man.
(c) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(d) He was shot.
4. What does Tutu state happened to many of the TRC staff?
(a) They killed themselves.
(b) They were shattered.
(c) They were fired.
(d) They were killed.
5. What was the other name of Winnie Mandela's bodyguard team?
(a) The Mandela United Football Team.
(b) The Winnie Security Team.
(c) The Mandela Bone Breakers.
(d) Winnie's Men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened during a hearing that made the media wonder if Tutu was the right man to head the TRC?
2. Who followed the TRC workers and commissioners, according to the "Postscript"?
3. Why does Tutu say many accepted the apartheid system?
4. What was the goal of the TRC according to Tutu?
5. Why did Tutu meet Botha in 1988?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation was made against a commissioner and how was it handled?
2. Why did Winnie Mandela want the hearing to be open to the public in "Chapter Eight, This is My Brother, I Know These Shoes"?
3. What does Tutu caution about forgiveness?
4. What did Rwanda teach Tutu about genocide in "Chapter Eleven, Without Forgiveness There Really Is No Future"?
5. Whose confessions implicated Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's ex-wife?
6. What did Tutu find out about himself in 1997?
7. Why was reconciliation in jeopardy in South Africa?
8. What did Tutu wonder about himself in "Chapter Nine, Why The Heck Am I Doing This Thankless Job?"
9. What did Tutu admit about conditioning?
10. What did Tutu say was a profound sin?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)