|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was dehumanization reciprocal according to Tutu in "Chapter Three, In the Fullness of Time"?
(a) When victims were dead.
(b) When victims could have vengeance.
(c) When oppressors go free.
(d) When the oppressors were hurt.
2. Who does Tutu state was the "high priest" of South Africa segregation?
(a) Dr. Henry Vanderbilt.
(b) Nelson Mandela.
(c) Desmond Tutu.
(d) Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd.
3. What does Tutu assert sometimes happened to those pleading guilty under the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act?
(a) The were hunted down and killed.
(b) Their marriage ended.
(c) They fled the country.
(d) They lost their job.
4. What South African town exploded in violence in 1996?
(a) East London.
(b) Cape Town.
5. When did the TRC hold its first hearing?
(a) May, 1996.
(b) April, 1996.
(c) April, 1997.
(d) April, 1998.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tutu, voting in South Africa was _______________.
2. What does Tutu say happened to black people injured on the side of the road when an ambulance for whites arrived in the story he recounted?
3. When was the new president of South Africa inaugurated?
4. Under what conditions were the trials under the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act held?
5. What did Tutu first suggest that TRC members do before abandoning the idea in face of protests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the racial superiority in South Africa based on?
2. Why was December 15 significant ? How was it transformed?
3. What was still in force when Desmond Tutu became Archbishop in 1986?
4. Why did Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd come under attack?
5. What would no one admit to according to "Chapter Two, Nuremberg or National Amnesia? A Third Way"?
6. What did Tutu marvel at?
7. What do theology and the witness of Jesus show according to Tutu?
8. What did Tutu argue about dehumanization according to "Chapter Three, In the Fullness of Time"?
9. What were Tutu's three primary goals as Tutu received his tenure as archbishop?
10. What was the TRC charged with according to "Chapter Six, A Victim Hearing"?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)