|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tutu say many accepted the apartheid system?
(a) It was profitable.
(b) It was comfortable and familiar.
(c) It was good for tourism.
(d) It was practical.
2. What happened to Botha between 1988 and his hearing before the TRC?
(a) He suffered a stroke.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(d) He killed a man.
3. What did Tutu's cancer help him do?
(a) See living as a good thing.
(b) Be more realistic about man.
(c) Become more laid back.
(d) See a white doctor.
4. According to Tutu, what had helped him manage the fallout of the TRC problems?
(a) Control over the media.
(c) A good media director.
(d) Self confidence.
5. Why was the racist government of South Africa supported by Britain and the United States ?
(a) It was were anti-communist.
(b) They were a nuclear power.
(c) They were buying a lot of military equipment.
(d) They had oil reserves.
6. Why was the TRC's neutrality questioned at the start of its mandate?
(a) The TRC was all black.
(b) Mandela refused to testify.
(c) Many staff were white.
(d) The judges had no experience.
7. When did Nelson and his wife divorce?
8. What does Tutu believe about the white Afrikaner minority in "Chapter Ten, We Did Not Know"?
(a) They could have ended apartheid.
(b) They were powerless.
(c) They were castaways.
(d) They were traitors.
9. What does Tutu say his cancer helped him identify with?
(a) Victims of poor medical care.
(b) The sinners of the world.
(c) Victims of apartheid.
(d) Drug addicts.
10. What did Tutu believe tarnished the image of the TRC?
(a) Accepted false testimonies.
(b) Let white people go free.
(c) Condemned black people.
(d) It leaked secrets.
11. What does Tutu say many people do not want to expose?
(a) Their vulnerabilities.
(b) Their true beliefs.
(c) Their families.
(d) Their thoughts.
12. What was the goal of the TRC according to Tutu?
(a) To punish the guilty.
(b) To humiliate whites.
(c) To give blacks a target.
(d) To make the victims feel like children of God again.
13. What does Tutu say the rebels did during apartheid?
(a) Kidnapped school teachers.
(b) Went to church.
(c) Killed children.
(d) Became as brutal as their oppressors.
14. What does Tutu maintain oppressors can do to their victims?
(a) Make them feel worthless.
(b) Torture them.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Make them doubt they are children of God.
15. What does Tutu state happened to many of the TRC staff?
(a) They were shattered.
(b) They killed themselves.
(c) They were killed.
(d) They were fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tutu say perpetrators must acknowledge?
2. What does Tutu state about the commissioners at the beginning of the TRC mandate?
3. What does Tutu state cannot be found in South Africa today?
4. Where was Mandela's wife while he was in prison?
5. What did the Rwandan genocide teach Tutu?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)