|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tutu state happened to many of the TRC staff?
(a) They were fired.
(b) They were shattered.
(c) They killed themselves.
(d) They were killed.
2. Who was Mandela's wife?
(a) Nelly Mandela.
(b) Winnie Mandela.
(c) Susan Mandela.
(d) Martha Mandela.
3. What happened to Botha between 1988 and his hearing before the TRC?
(a) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) He suffered a stroke.
(c) He killed a man.
(d) He was shot.
4. Tutu believed the TRC saved South Africa from ______________.
(a) White domination.
(b) The brink of disaster.
(d) Black domination.
5. What made Botha pathetic during his hearing at the TRC?
(a) The number of lawyers he brought.
(b) His crying.
(c) His stubbornness and anger.
(d) His physical appearance.
6. What type of staff does Tutu say were forced to put atrocities into their own words?
7. What did Tutu's cancer help him do?
(a) Be more realistic about man.
(b) See living as a good thing.
(c) Become more laid back.
(d) See a white doctor.
8. What does Tutu say God feels for his creation?
9. Who followed the TRC workers and commissioners, according to the "Postscript"?
(c) Mental health staff.
10. When did Nelson and his wife divorce?
11. What did Tutu wonder he should have done according to "Chapter Nine, Why The Heck Am I Doing This Thankless Job"?
(b) Resign his commission.
(c) Run for president.
(d) Have his head examined.
12. What did Tutu do while Winnie Mandela was in exile?
(a) He took her communion.
(b) He hid her location.
(c) He allowed her to move abroad.
(d) He transmitted her correspondence.
13. What did the Dutch Reformed Church do for the apartheid government prior to 1994?
(a) Provided a theological rationale for apartheid.
(b) Denounced confession for whites.
(c) Hid black fugitives.
(d) Provided interrogation rooms.
14. What does Tutu say the rebels did during apartheid?
(a) Kidnapped school teachers.
(b) Killed children.
(c) Became as brutal as their oppressors.
(d) Went to church.
15. In what capacity did Tutu visit Rwanda?
(a) As head of the TRC.
(b) As a private citizen.
(c) As president of the All Africa Council of Churches.
(d) As president of South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man in one of the TRC cases do after smelling the burning corpse of a murdered victim?
2. Where was Mandela's wife while he was in prison?
3. In what year did Tutu find out about having cancer?
4. What happened on August, 1988?
5. What does Tutu assert many people did at the TRC?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)